2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we got better up the wings by turning Digne into Myko and Patterson.

We never had a choice on Richarlison. If you want to argue that we did a poor job of prepping for that eventuality, by shoving the chips all-in on getting to Europe in Carlo's second season in a way that left us with no funds the following season to make another run at Europe or replace Richarlison, you have a leg to stand on. It's not like Moshiri et al were unaware what COVID was going to do to the finances, because it already had landed.

Will selling Gordon improve us? It depends on how we reinvest. If we turn the proceeds into some wing creativity, a creditable striker and another quality mid, we should get better. If we don't, we won't. What's clear right now is that we're too reliant on a single, injured player to produce goal threat, and I would argue that we would be better off if we could turn one of our brighter talents into multiple avenues to get the ball into dangerous areas and into the back of the net.
Mykolenko is atrocious going forward, if anything our left side is suffering severely. We must find a top left back next summer and Mykolenko can be on the bench.

only-fools-and-horses-delboy.gif
Well he was a plonker to leave ?

I think we got better up the wings by turning Digne into Myko and Patterson.

We never had a choice on Richarlison. If you want to argue that we did a poor job of prepping for that eventuality, by shoving the chips all-in on getting to Europe in Carlo's second season in a way that left us with no funds the following season to make another run at Europe or replace Richarlison, you have a leg to stand on. It's not like Moshiri et al were unaware what COVID was going to do to the finances, because it already had landed.

Will selling Gordon improve us? It depends on how we reinvest. If we turn the proceeds into some wing creativity, a creditable striker and another quality mid, we should get better. If we don't, we won't. What's clear right now is that we're too reliant on a single, injured player to produce goal threat, and I would argue that we would be better off if we could turn one of our brighter talents into multiple avenues to get the ball into dangerous areas and into the back of the net.

Your’e not breaking new ground there mate.

What are you saying, we are better team (ignoring the relegation battle &. the fact we can’t score a goals in ayear) after selling Jamo, Digne, Richarlison…….because if not you are putting one big dollop of a leap faith in a hit and hope in reinvesting funds in two weeks to build a front line that currently has 0 creativity after this sale and 0 goal scoring threat.

In the last two windows we sold every player with guile, creativity and threat and gotten worse and just avoided relegation ……it’s not even a debate point - I mean we literally lived through it. So here we again doing the same thing, 0 lessons learned. What do we think is going to happen? We survived by luck last year, now we are selling two of our best and most creating players, are we expecting to somehow magically improve.

The window is at its end point now, it’s a limited market, every team is going to screw us, while we have to build a whole new forward line on 45 mill - peanuts when you are looking for attacking players of any passable quality. Your trust in reinvesting in that context I believe is naïve and misplaced. (Again no offence intended).

Again, what to people think is going to happen.……we literally just survived relegation.

Last edited:
Your’e not breaking new ground there mate.

What are you saying, we are better team (ignoring the relegation battle &. the fact we can’t score a goal in ayear) after selling Jamo, Digne, Richarlison…….because if not you are putting one big dollop of a leap faith in a hit and hope in reinvesting funds in two weeks to build a front line in two weeks that has 0 creativity after this sale and 0 goal scoring threat.

The window is at its end point now, it’s a limited market, every team is going to screw us, while we have to build a whole new forward line on 45 mill - peanuts when you are looking for attacking players of any passable quality.

Again, what to people think is going to happen.……we literally just survived relegation.
I'm not saying that "we're a better team". I suppose that what I'm saying is that the 'bad' Brands window and the 'aggressive' Brands window put us in a position where, given the legacy of the disastrous Koeman/Walsh window, we were going to end up having to sell assets because we were just a mess all over the pitch. We were down to very few positions where any of us considered the team up to standard, and we were sell-to-buy. The only way to improve from that position is to sell assets and reinvest wisely.

Rico was never staying once we collapsed, and we had to sell someone to remain compliant with league rules. James was a gamble that didn't work out, in the sense that we didn't end up getting enough return on wages and faced a strong risk of getting even less the next season. Digne was a move that was more or less forced - we simply cannot be starting Coleman on the regular because we can't keep him healthy when we do, so we had to do something on that side somehow. We hedged the Myko bet with Vinagre, which was smart.

Here's a good analogy: suppose we're two doctors looking at the same illness and recommending different courses of treatment. You don't think my experimental treatment will work. I think it gives the patient better odds of survival, given the present progress of the disease. I don't think what happened in the last twelve months is at all relevant to what we should do now, except in the sense that I think that the disease has progressed to the point where the experimental treatment is the only option that stands a reasonable chance of working.

They clapped when we sold Rodriguez because he was lazy.

They clapped when we sold Digne, it was to good a deal to turn down.

They clapped when sold we Richalison because he was a headless chicken and we could do better with the money.

They clapped when we sold Gordon because because he had no end product.

They stopped clapping then as there no one left to sell.
Nailed it

Just wait until his Dad sees the massive signing bonus Chelsea will give the lad and his cut of it.

It's not forcing a player out. It's accepting a ludicrous offer for a player that at best has potential. He hasn't shown that he is going to be world class so far.

Thats funny.

People with half a brain can see the boy could simply refuse the move.

Looks like there will be some posts pushing random stories.

They clapped when sold we Richalison because he was a headless chicken and we could do better with the money.

Would you say Eddie Nketiah is worth £50mil?

I don’t know who ‘they’ are, but it’s not Everton fans. A few people said Rodriguez was lazy, but that’s simply not true about Digne and Richarlison from anyone.

What can £45million get you these days?

Chelsea just paid more than that for an over-the-hill Sterling who wasn’t part of City’s plans whatsoever.

Right now Gordon is probably one of the first names on our team sheet, if not the first name on the team sheet. And he’s probably got a decade (at least!) left at the highest level.

It would have to be £60million at the absolute minimum. We don’t have to sell. We have a dearth of good attacking players after the sale of Richarlison and the injury to DCL, so selling is actually a huge gamble. It has to be crazy money.

Well if you've been watching what's happening mate, it's quite clear. We have sold Richarlison, and will sell Gordon.

A bit like selling Rodwell, Stones, Barkley, Jeffers, Ball, Rooney etc as young players.

This is not some out their conspiracy. The conspiracy is not acknowledging we sell our best young players at a young age.
Yup.

Here's my question: If Gordon were playing for another side, would we be spending $40-50M in this window to bring him in?

I don't think so, given what he's shown so far.

By no means do I want to damn him with faint praise. I think he's fantastic.

Just that Chelsea seems to be bidding against themselves at that price. On 15 August 2022 if Chelsea withdrew from the market for the player then I don't think any club pays us that much for him, and in my hypothetical if he's playing somewhere else we don't pay that much to bring him in either.

I've been undecided with this but thinking logically, Newcastle, spurs and Chelsea have all seen enough in the lad to make serious enquiries and this just can't be ignored in terms of estimating his potential, yes 40 plus million straight profit is very good business but we need to keep him, as an aside from his obvious qualities as a player, I'm fed up of people moaning he goes down too easy, Richarlison was brilliant at drawing fouls and buying time when we were under the cosh, a dark art some don't like but equally we get done every game by dives and simulation from opposition players, like it or not its now a skill set in itself, putting it bluntly Gordon's now our only attacking player we have that's prepared to outright cheat to help us win a game, all the top teams have got 3 or 4 of these type of players, on another note, is it not a bit too late in the window to replace him without getting rinsed? I had the impression we would of been buying a striker without the need of this sale

Status
Not open for further replies.