Confirmed Signing Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched most of the game and he didn't do anything of note at all and was playing against a newly promoted Forrest team.
on MOTD they showed his positioning and passing ability. I thought he linked up well between defence and attack and understood how to keep possession.

Best coach we had since Howard.

That first season underlines it.

If he'd had half the cash that Koemageddon had he'd have made it work.
I don't think so Dave.
I don't think he was ready for a club as big as Everton at that stage in his career.
He had done well at Wigan in limited circumstances but the expectations at Everton was different.... the level of ecpectation is still different.

In spite of all that has happened Evertonians need a winning team , they are not satisfied with stylish losing football and the manager telling how great the performance was even though they lost just made it worse.

I think he didn't have the experience to know a successful team is built from the back... not from the front or he was too stubborn to accept that.

The fact that we couldn't defend ultimately cost him his job and also a couple of managers since then.

FL and his management team seem to accept that unless you get your defence right then you are going nowhere.
The signings of defensive minded players like Tarkowski, Vinagre,Coady, Gueye and Onana shows where they felt the weakness lies.

I don't think so Dave.
I don't think he was ready for a club as big as Everton at that stage in his career.
He had done well at Wigan in limited circumstances but the expectations at Everton was different.... the level of ecpectation is still different.

In spite of all that has happened Evertonians need a winning team , they are not satisfied with stylish losing football and the manager telling how great the performance was even though they lost just made it worse.

I think he didn't have the experience to know a successful team is built from the back... not from the front or he was too stubborn to accept that.

The fact that we couldn't defend ultimately cost him his job and also a couple of managers since then.

FL and his management team seem to accept that unless you get your defence right then you are going nowhere.
The signings of defensive minded players like Tarkowski, Vinagre,Coady, Gueye and Onana shows where they felt the weakness lies.
I wont go into this again here, suffice to say that he was let down by players who he simply couldn't get a second and third tune out of because of their own limitations in terms of quality.

He gave us that Camelot season and needed real cash to kick on again. If Moshiri had come in 2 years earlier with the cash our story would be very different right now.

Niasse.
McGeady.
Kone.
Alcaraz.
Tarashaj.
Stanek.
Rodriguez.
Byrne.
Eto'o.
Robles.
Cleverley.
Holgate.
McCarthy.
Besic.
Deulofeu.
Lennon.
Galloway.
Funes Mori.
Lukaku.
Barry.
Sambou.
Henen.
Hunt.

Two players in there, Lukaku and Barry. For Lukaku, we approached them for Demba Ba and was told no, how about Lukaku.

There's a reason he's stuck to international football since 2016. He's well suited to it. Inflating the ego of players in short spells, before they find the phenomenal praise as a parody.

Mindful this is the Onana thread. Maybe open a Martinez thread in world football - every chance he's linked back to us around winter if things aren't going well.
Deulofeu wasn't a player?! McCarthy wasn't a player? Holgate + Cleverly are players Moyes would have snapped up in a heartbeat for the joint cost of £2M.

The feller had a budget that Koeman would have laughed at and stayed on holiday permanently for if offered it.

Bottom line for me: we played our very best football since the 80s in that first season. You know we did too.

I wont go into this again here, suffice to say that he was let down by players who he simply couldn't get a second and third tune out of because of their own limitations in terms of quality.

He gave us that Camelot season and needed real cash to kick on again. If Moshiri had come in 2 years earlier with the cash our story would be very different right now.
I think most people would agree that Martinez benefitted in his first season from what Moyes had done at Everton such as a well drilled defence, hard working ethic etc. Once that year wore off and Roberto had more of his stamp on the team we went downhill.

I think most people would agree that Martinez benefitted in his first season from what Moyes had done at Everton such as a well drilled defence, hard working ethic etc. Once that year wore off and Roberto had more of his stamp on the team we went downhill.
I don't really agree with that.

The first season was great because of Barry, McCarthy, Lukaku and Ged all who were brought in by Martinez along with Stones who he brought into the first team, Barkley got a proper run in the side too. That's six major changes in that side.

It all fell apart when McCarthy got injured. He was tremendous that first season and integral to how we played. Losing him and putting the pressure on an ageing Barry ended up putting more pressure on the defence and we struggled then.

Status
Not open for further replies.