Confirmed Signing Conor Coady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if they keep us treading water in this league, that will give us a more stable financial position than if we didn't sign them and went down.

All well and good signing players with sell on value but A) they are massively overpriced already and we are not in a position to do that at the moment. And B) they are more risky as they usually don't have the experience and we need some experience and leadership right now.

I'd hope we have thought about relegation clauses in current signings contracts so if it did go wrong, we aren't stuck with huge wages.
None of that really makes sense to be honest, apart from the relegation clause bit. Interesting that you think McNeil and Onana are overpriced though.

It's a valid point though. It's fine for you not to care about it, but it doesn't make the point any less relevant. People still sneering at the idea of resale value being important after everything that's happened is quite incredible. We should definitely get a klaxon for when people who laugh at resale value moan about the wage bill and us being financially hamstrung though, possibly a dunce's hat too.

We've just brought McNeil, Vinagrea and Onana who are below 23 years old for near £50million.

We brought in Tarko (free), Coady (possible £10mill) and Gana (isn't it £10mill or a loan?). The money has been invested in young players.

The older experience is down to solidifying an horrific defence. Whinging about resale value when you're hopefully not conceding every week is misplaced IMO.

We've just brought McNeil, Vinagrea and Onana who are below 23 years old for near £50million.

We brought in Tarko (free), Coady (possible £10mill) and Gana (isn't it £10mill or a loan?). The money has been invested in young players.

The older experience is down to solidifying an horrific defence. Whinging about resale value when you're hopefully not conceding every week is misplaced IMO.
Is he whinging though, or is he just making an observation?

I know people find it really difficult to understand but not everything has to be wonderful or terrible. It’s perfectly fine to think the business this summer has been just ok, maybe some good some bad. You can think coast and tarkowski are good solid centre halves but that signing both might be overkill or that gana on a free would be great but gana for £10m might not be a good deal.

Doesn't really matter if he's 13, 65 or anywhere in between if it's a loan does it? Some people just like a moan
I guess that all depends on what Everton are paying for the loan and what terms are set for an option in the contract.

Age does matter. Always.

Four years ago West Ham spent big money on Issa Diop. £22M for a 21 year old French CD that had a lot of hype and interest from big clubs. Diop started OK, but was never great. The last two seasons he has not been a first choice. This summer he has been pushing for an exit. Refusing to play for West Ham. When West Ham sell him to Fulham now, they will get most of their money back (£15-17M mentioned).

Four years ago Wolves joined Premier League. Their captain, Conor Coady, has played everything for them. He is an England international. But he is 29 years old. As he now seems to be Wolves 5th or 6th choice as CD, he is desperate for a move that can secure him a place in the World Cup squad.

I dont rate Coady, but he has done a lot better than Diop the four seasons they have played in the same league. Age is the only reason why one of them is sold on for good money while the other one have been offered out as available for loan.

Is he whinging though, or is he just making an observation?

I know people find it really difficult to understand but not everything has to be wonderful or terrible. It’s perfectly fine to think the business this summer has been just ok, maybe some good some bad. You can think coast and tarkowski are good solid centre halves but that signing both might be overkill or that gana on a free would be great but gana for £10m might not be a good deal.

Maybe he's not whinging...but why bring it up as a concern?

"Oooooh these are positive signings but the negative is resale value"

I guess that all depends on what Everton are paying for the loan and what terms are set for an option in the contract.

Age does matter. Always.

Four years ago West Ham spent big money on Issa Diop. £22M for a 21 year old French CD that had a lot of hype and interest from big clubs. Diop started OK, but was never great. The last two seasons he has not been a first choice. This summer he has been pushing for an exit. Refusing to play for West Ham. When West Ham sell him to Fulham now, they will get most of their money back (£15-17M mentioned).

Four years ago Wolves joined Premier League. Their captain, Conor Coady, has played everything for them. He is an England international. But he is 29 years old. As he now seems to be Wolves 5th or 6th choice as CD, he is desperate for a move that can secure him a place in the World Cup squad.

I dont rate Coady, but he has done a lot better than Diop the four seasons they have played in the same league. Age is the only reason why one of them is sold on for good money while the other one have been offered out as available for loan.

Well no, thats not true is it...

We are not in a position where we can buy young players only and let them settle and develop over time.

We also need players with experience that can come in and improve our first team immediately.... three experienced leaders, all with premiership experience for combined fees of less than 10m if this is how it turns out is quite remarkable... the loan for Coady in particular.

We have also signed three young players and of course we have Price, Warrington, Welch and Mills also knocking on the door.

Signing experience is not a problem when it is surrounded by talented youngsters.

Age does matter. Always.

It's all down to stability of the squad though isn't it?

We conceded the most amount of goals we've ever conceded in the premier league and escaped relegation with 1 game remaining.

West Ham have been solidly midtable/top 8 for a few years with a good defensive record.

I'd be more concerned about paying £22mill on a Diop and him not fixing our issues than getting Coady in for half that price.

None of that really makes sense to be honest, apart from the relegation clause bit. Interesting that you think McNeil and Onana are overpriced though.
Obviously McNeil is reasonable. But this other lad is £30-40m and untested in any major league. So yeah it seems a fair whack.

I think that you got the idea, you just want a bit of banter.

Cheers.

Maybe he's not whinging...but why bring it up as a concern?

"Oooooh these are positive signings but the negative is resale value"
For the exact reason I said? Because he believes there are positives and negatives, and is saying as much. The idea that we should all just say everything is brilliant even if we don't necessarily believe it is a bit weird to be honest.

I’ve been banging the drum about resale value ever since we spent a fortune on Gylfi at 27, but I don’t really have an issue with Tarkowski or Coady if we end up paying 10-12 on a permanent. 29 isn’t that old for centre backs, you can probably still get a reasonable fee up to 31-32, it’s a position where experience has real value.

Obviously McNeil is reasonable. But this other lad is £30-40m and untested in any major league. So yeah it seems a fair whack.

I think that you got the idea, you just want a bit of banter.

Cheers.
No sorry I wasn't criticising your writing, I just meant it didn't make sense as an argument not I didn't understand what you were saying.

No sorry I wasn't criticising your writing, I just meant it didn't make sense as an argument not I didn't understand what you were saying.
Basically - I think if the old boys can keep us afloat (whether it is 17th or higher) for a few seasons until the move happens and we can get the finances in order, then I think that buying them in on relatively low costs with no sell on is actually a good thing. At this stage we are almost building from scratch and have a financial handycap it would seem. Obviously this relies on them not being Ashley Williams-esque!

Going forward I agree that we should adopt a more forward thinking approach with transfers so that we can always at least recoup our original outlay and not end up with a bunch of useless unsellable players.

Status
Not open for further replies.