Confirmed Signing Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only we had done the deal a week ago...that would be good work not once season is starting...lille would have accepted the same deal weeks ago but yet always have yo wait until season is underway to do the main business which is putting us in the backfoot in the first few matches.
Yeah wish it was done last week too, I would be fretting about signing someone else this week

Interesting comparison from an interview with Thomas Buffel who coached Onana with Belgium under 21s (interview was done when it looked like he was going to West Ham)

Buffel added that Onana is reminiscent of Marouane Fellaini for his huge frame and potential to play further forward in midfield even though he has has been described as an anchor man.
“West Ham will not have happened overnight. They pay for his potential, and he has it,” said Buffel. “Amadou is taking steps forward quickly. Amadou is a calm boy – an important quality. Also a leader figure. He is not our captain for nothing. He can inspire his teammates and puts a lot of energy into his game.”
“Amadou is reminiscent of Fellaini, especially in stature. He can also play in the ‘ten’. He won’t do two man dribbling, but with his infiltrations and length he can be dangerous in the box. We’ll see what role West Ham has in store for him. His versatility is an asset. The ‘six’ and ‘eight’ are more his natural positions. He has tremendous athleticism – ideal for the Premier League. As an attacker, you can never get rid of him,” he added.

…”as an attacker, you can never get rid of him”.

Love that quote, it’s what I continually mean by powers of recovery. A nightmare to play against, you go past players like him but you know they will come back at you, you’re never rid of them.

Seems it’s 20% of whole fee, not profit. That’s a sizeable chunk off any future sale. That’s a pretty big investment and Lille have done well there to negotiate that.

So to just get our money back we have to sell him for20% more of what we paid...we must ve confident that he will be a top player

He’s also played 1,500 minutes, equivalent of about 14 games if my maths is right, so not too many. And the stats I’ve seen is that is pass completion is not too good, better than doucoure but not much.
His pass % I think was 83.3%

Dacoure 79.6%

That's a sizeable difference

If only we had done the deal a week ago...that would be good work not once season is starting...lille would have accepted the same deal weeks ago but yet always have yo wait until season is underway to do the main business which is putting us in the backfoot in the first few matches.

…sounds like it might have been done a while ago, especially if West Ham couldn’t get him over the line. He’s supposed to have a slight knee injury so might have been sidelined for a few games.

Sorry 1,250 minutes of ligue 1 and 250 minutes of ucl
Screenshot_20220805-122923_Samsung Internet.jpg

Signing of the season! tbf to Lampard, the preseason recruitment has been fantastic and we've got a good squad now with a clear playing philosophy (strong spine, good width on both sides).

I can see Dele thriving this year - he's not had much game time, but he's looked good whenever he's come on.

Definitely not relegation fodder. It's a tough league this year, but definitely optimistic now.

Just need a striker

…”as an attacker, you can never get rid of him”.

Love that quote, it’s what I continually mean by powers of recovery. A nightmare to play against, you go past players like him but you know they will come back at you, you’re never rid of them.
Onana and Gueye do look like they'd be an absolutely horrible pair to play against.

Pity we don't have them in in time to address the likely problem that our midfield spends 90 minutes chasing Kovacic's shadow tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.