Confirmed Signing Dwight McNeil

Status
Not open for further replies.
No issue with the structure of the deal, because we don't have cashflow issues.

But we are spending nearly £20m when we're right up against the threshold for breaking the rules on P&S, and we may well still need to spend more to fill the gaping abyss where our central midfield should be. Regardless of the payment structure agreed, the accounting will show at least £3m per year in amortisation for McNeil, whereas Gordon "costs" £0 per year and Gray shows maybe £600k per year.

If we sell an expensive player or two (Gomes, Gbamin, Mina or Keane) then this concern is reduced... But we still need to bring in a DM and a CM and now we have less wiggle room to do so.
We've just sold our best player and the squad is paper thin. We've got to spend something!!

We can't attract or afford elite players so this is where we are. It's £15m and will only reach £20m if he does well. That's not a huge outlay in any context in modern football.

No issue with the structure of the deal, because we don't have cashflow issues.

But we are spending nearly £20m when we're right up against the threshold for breaking the rules on P&S, and we may well still need to spend more to fill the gaping abyss where our central midfield should be. Regardless of the payment structure agreed, the accounting will show at least £3m per year in amortisation for McNeil, whereas Gordon "costs" £0 per year and Gray shows maybe £600k per year.

If we sell an expensive player or two (Gomes, Gbamin, Mina or Keane) then this concern is reduced... But we still need to bring in a DM and a CM and now we have less wiggle room to do so.
What profits do they look at in judging FFP? Amortisation is a made up thing. Everton don't actually pay this out so surely it wouldn't be considered? I find the whole thing mental!

We've just sold our best player and the squad is paper thin. We've got to spend something!!

We can't attract or afford elite players so this is where we are. It's £15m and will only reach £20m if he does well. That's not a huge outlay in any context in modern football.
You've completely missed my point, which is odd considering you've quoted the post in which the point was raised.

The issues are:

1) we need CMs (plural) urgently; and
2) we have almost no room for manoeuvre in respect of the P&S rules

Therefore spending "big", in the sense that we are under scrutiny for being so close to the edge, is something I would be more comfortable seeing if it were on a player who plays in CM.

The objective context of £20m not being a huge outlay in modern football may be true, but it doesn't apply in our club's CURRENT subjective financial position.

What profits do they look at in judging FFP? Amortisation is a made up thing. Everton don't actually pay this out so surely it wouldn't be considered? I find the whole thing mental!
Amortisation is the process of accounting for the total fee paid for a player over the course of that player's contract.

Amortisation is not "made up".

Everton does actually pay the transfer fee.

The transfer fee is considered in calculating the P&S impact.

With respect mate, I think you need to learn a bit more about this specific topic.

Amortisation is not made up and not a bad thing. It is spreading the initial purchase cost of an asset over the life of the asset, or in this case the length of the contract.

It is an attempt to match the cost of assets into the same accounting periods in which they generate revenue.

Our issue is none of our assets generate any revenue, assists, goals or fun ?

Amortisation is the process of accounting for the total fee paid for a player over the course of that player's contract.

Amortisation is not "made up".

Everton does actually pay the transfer fee.

The transfer fee is considered in calculating the P&S impact.

With respect mate, I think you need to learn a bit more about this specific topic.
I understand that but they don't pay £3m each year necessarily. They pay it per the agreement with the other club.

The £3m is writing off the asset in the accounts. Surely they look at the amount that they pay to the clubs each year?

Amortisation is not made up and not a bad thing. It is spreading the initial purchase cost of an asset over the life of the asset, or in this case the length of the contract.

It is an attempt to match the cost of assets into the same accounting periods in which they generate revenue.

Our issue is none of our assets generate any revenue, assists, goals or fun ?
Very true. Most are actually liabilities...

I understand that but they don't pay £3m each year necessarily. They pay it per the agreement with the other club.

The £3m is writing off the asset in the accounts. Surely they look t the amount that they pay to the clubs each year?
Thats the thing most people overlook.

Yes McNeil will be spread over 5 years for FFP, but for Profit and Loss, his fee will have to be paid for within most likely 2 years.

Thats the thing most people overlook.

Yes McNeil will be spread over 5 years for FFP, but for Profit and Loss, his fee will have to be paid for within most likely 2 years.
All very confusing. And looking at Barcelona it would appear that FFP is easy to get around!...

[Paid Content - Blacklisted]/3457482/2022/07/28/dwight-mcneil-everton-burnley/?amp=1

Last term, McNeil played a key role in Burnley’s work off the ball, scoring high in stats such as blocks and pressures, which is important for Lampard’s vision of a hard-pressing unit.

He also recovered more loose balls than any of Everton’s wingers last term. Like Richarlison, he is viewed as a team player who, as proven by his efforts last season in Burnley’s scrap against relegation, will fight for the shirt.

This aspect should not be overlooked, it was a huge part of Richys game. DM is not a like for like replacement but it’s good that he has this.

Status
Not open for further replies.