Confirmed Signing Dwight McNeil

Status
Not open for further replies.
If signing this player is a marker for our transfer activity then I am seriously concerned as a fan that we have gone into full on relegation battler team mindset which as history proves, means it's a matter of time circling the drain. His stats were terrible last season for goals and assists, two things we are devoid of in the squad , let alone the team. Burnley were only slightly worse than we were so we can make a direct comparison between us both and McNeill is another relegated part of a poor team we are bringing In thinking it will improve us.

I understand the financial issue we have and I understand that our recent history is not going to be attractive to any player that we should really be signing. Players like this though are reasons why we are struggling so much and dropping down the table each season and struggling to even hold our ground in the league like several promoted teams have achieved so far. Our scouts currently bringing in two Burnley players and a young full back that the dof knew is quite shocking in terms of how the club is set up because we are seemingly not scouting at all each year and the pool is getting smaller from relegated teams to now dropping the s.

I understand us fans want to be optimistic but McNeill , vinegre , these aren't players that improve us. They don't add goals or assists or add a presence on the pitch. We should all be deeply worried about our transfer activity because this is looking like we are going to be no better off this season as we were last time. Especially considering rondon is more than likely going to be an important player for us.
But apart from all that we're looking good yeah.

Could argue that one if our major weaknesses is hdbing a cf whose excellent in the air and having zero players who can cross, take a corner or free kick mate though he can also carry the ball very well -

Wasn't my cup of tea initially but kinda can see why we want him now.

If the deals like the one they took for pope, then it won't really effect our other recruitment money wise as think we'll be paying very little this season.

I like the player. Always well thought of at Burnley and by all accounts had a great attitude. Had an awful season last year, lots of reasons, no Dyche, shifting sides, no Wood etc.

Easy to forget the lad is 22 though. Not many players his age have had the experience he had had, in the conditions hes had at Burnley. The numbers arent the best, but it's likely his next team will see a lot more from him and a clean break will do him good.

We seem to be developing a bit of a plan re DCL as well. I remember with Ferguson, we sold Speed, Kanchelskis etc and never bought anything close to resembling a winger. We now have 2 full backs who can cross, Gordon who has reasonable delivery and McNeil who's excellent at this. Essentially maximising his strengths.

It's also worth noting with McNeil, his goals assist arent great, but he has spent 4 years playing for a team that were as bad as ours, as an 18-22 year old. Hes also not played as an attacking wide striker, but much more as a wide midfielder in a 4. His defensive stats are very good and reflect this. Im not sure how many levels he has to his attacking game, but it's an apples and oranges comparison to look at wide forwards, and what hes been asked to do for Burnley.

Seems mad to me that we seemingly were reluctant to do 17.5 for Cornet but now have found 15-20 for McNeil. Perhaps we are able to stagger payments for McNeil unlike with Cornet's release clause.

I think McNeil is a decent player, as I've said before I think the profile of the player is quite what we need but I guess we just have to hope he can flourish here.
That’s pretty much what the deal is, paid in instalments whereas they wanted the fee for Cornet up front

If signing this player is a marker for our transfer activity then I am seriously concerned as a fan that we have gone into full on relegation battler team mindset which as history proves, means it's a matter of time circling the drain. His stats were terrible last season for goals and assists, two things we are devoid of in the squad , let alone the team. Burnley were only slightly worse than we were so we can make a direct comparison between us both and McNeill is another relegated part of a poor team we are bringing In thinking it will improve us.

I understand the financial issue we have and I understand that our recent history is not going to be attractive to any player that we should really be signing. Players like this though are reasons why we are struggling so much and dropping down the table each season and struggling to even hold our ground in the league like several promoted teams have achieved so far. Our scouts currently bringing in two Burnley players and a young full back that the dof knew is quite shocking in terms of how the club is set up because we are seemingly not scouting at all each year and the pool is getting smaller from relegated teams to now dropping the s.

I understand us fans want to be optimistic but McNeill , vinegre , these aren't players that improve us. They don't add goals or assists or add a presence on the pitch. We should all be deeply worried about our transfer activity because this is looking like we are going to be no better off this season as we were last time. Especially considering rondon is more than likely going to be an important player for us.

I agree with you but unfortunately I think you are farting into the wind. I’ve heard the same rhetoric that I’m seeing with these signings when money was a major issue during the Smith era in particular.

I want every player who signs to do well but I’m not going to gloss over things either. These signings reek of the same narrow minded lack of tact and foresight that’s plagued us for years. They will have a decent game or two, people mouth off about how others were wrong for doubting them and rinse and repeat.

I know that’s very negative but that’s how I see it sadly , I’ve been through it all before with these types of signings. The director of football has been here since late February, plenty of time to assess, plan for relegation or staying up and network for good deals for players across the globe knowing the financial restraints so a bit of cleverness comes into play . These signings reek of laziness.

Although I’m not McNeill’s biggest fan, he’s another grafter who will hopefully not be putting in some of the listless lazy apathetic showings we’ve seen from some of the squad recently
Exactly.

The signings are not top draw, but look at them in terms of workrate and attitude.

Tarkowski and McNeil improve us on that score. No idea about Vinagre but hope he's the same character.

Status
Not open for further replies.