Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
A huge amount of it is how the players who are here want to apply themselves.

If they play at the level we did for most of the run in, we won’t have a problem next season. Play like we did any other time and we’re in dire straits. Even the losses against West Ham and Burnley in the run in were miles better application wise from the players than some of the stuff we saw earlier on in the season and at the start of Frank’s time.

A lot of these players just need to work harder. If Iwobi and Dele both brought their best form into the start of next season we’d be wondering why we were all worried about creativity. Instead though we’re all pretty much expecting the pair of them to drift through games offering barely anything. Same with Gomes Doucoure sometimes Gray too.
I think you’re grossly overeating the creative ability of that pair. There’s no previous that would indicate Iwobi is suddenly going to become a creative force for us - he’s never been before. His figures for assists, big chances created, goals are pitiful.

It’s sad how low our standards are that such an underwhelming player as Iwobi, is being held up as our hope for the season. There’s not another top half team he’d get close to starting for as midfielder.

Alli has spent the last, what, 3 seasons drifting?

There’s absolutely no basis other than pure blind hope to expect either of these two players or any of our other repeat failure players to do otherwise.

Agree they all need to work harder but they’re not the dogs of war, it’s a powder puff bunch. Not tough enough to battle and not good enough to win games with quality. That’s the reality, sadly.

Two weeks to go to the start of the season and we are massively weakened in comparison to even the relegation fighting outfit we finished last season with.

Even if we got 4/5 additions to the squad now with no more serious weakening of it we will struggle to blend a first team until the second month of the season.

IMO we're already one of the favourites to go down due to the summer inactivity and sale of Richarlison.

Lampard really should be issuing public ultimatums now. It's that serious.
It is incredibly worrying. I think this is how most of us feel about the club right now.

Have you, really?

Well please explain how it does matter when we’ve sold 3 people who were actually good

Because 6 players account for 290 million pounds! Lukaku, Stones, Barkley, Gueye, Richarlison Digne

So even if we just account for those 6 players (even thought there’s been many other sales too), our expenditure since Moshiri joined has been partly funded by those sales. It’s important because you can’t say the squad has had 600 million of investment without also saying it’s had half that figure of value taken out of it!

The squad is only as good as the players in it so if you’re bringing in new players but then selling your best players at the same time you then can’t turn around and go ‘look the squad has improved by the value of those players we’ve brought in’, surely you see that?

The squad is a lot poorer than it should be, no question about that, but I still maintain my point that if you take the best players down the spine of the team out of any team in the world they suffer, taken them out of any team outside the top 6 regardless of their expenditure and they will have a poor season no question.

We had a decade and a half under Moyes and Martinez surviving on absolute scraps in comparison to the rest of the league. We had a bit of a blow out under Koeman Silva and Carlo (half of which has been clawed back by selling most of our top players) and now we’re back to counting the pennies and looking for cheap deals.

People can spin whatever story they want to hate on Everton but the laziest of the lot of them is ‘I’m just going to count the money spent in an exact period of the last 5 years, I’ll ignore all player sales in that period as well, and then bang on about how Everton have spent so much money’

Without doing detailed sums we’re probably looking at about 40-50 mill net spend every season under Moshiri. After decades of previous under investment, that’s hardly an eye watering figure to try and close the gap on teams above us who can splash that entire amount on one player without hesitating. Yes we’ve spent most of it badly but if you really think we should have a squad at this point than can survive losing its best centreback and best striker for an entire season without impact then that feels to me a massive over expectation.

Two weeks to go to the start of the season and we are massively weakened in comparison to even the relegation fighting outfit we finished last season with.

Even if we got 4/5 additions to the squad now with no more serious weakening of it we will struggle to blend a first team until the second month of the season.

IMO we're already one of the favourites to go down due to the summer inactivity and sale of Richarlison.

Lampard really should be issuing public ultimatums now. It's that serious.

Replacing Richarlison with the likes of Cornet or Dennis doesn’t improve the squad from last season either.

If we’re still lining up with a midfield that look like they’re running through treacle we’re sacked.

Bare minimum has to be 4 new players for the starting XI.

Since the season finished, I have been quietly confident that we had a plan in place but as time goes by I don’t think we actually do.

We are being linked with so many names and if half of them (unlikely I know) are true then it’s a real scattergun approach we are taking.

Add to that the positions we are being linked with. We are being linked with strikers today when I think it would be nice to get one but the clear priority is a 6 who can shield the back four and won’t go wandering like Allan tends to do

Expectations will have to shift if we do not sign some players in the next two weeks. Looks like we will be floating around 17th again for much of the season. It will be a nervous one for us all.

Replacing Richarlison with the likes of Cornet or Dennis doesn’t improve the squad from last season either.

If we’re still lining up with a midfield that look like they’re running through treacle we’re sacked.

Bare minimum has to be 4 new players for the starting XI.
Moshiri is playing with fire.

Maybe he thinks the fans will turn up for 18 home games with blue flares and mass hysrteria as they did for a few games last season and see the club over the line with a rubbish squad.

The feller is out to lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.