2021/22 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has potential but probably not ready as a EPL right back yet will need to play as a wing back for now, again the club has left the manager in the position where he has nobody else...

I remember Coleman being raw on the defensive side before he went out to Blackpool

Patterson hasn't looked great the last two halves though. Mills had looked better and that is saying something

Agreed. Seamus Coleman and Baines spent time working on their defensive game and both became reliable. It's about attitude and willingness to improve that aspect of their game. And defending is a team game. Players have to cover for each other and be okay with that.

I've lost count of the number of times I said that this lad needed to get out into the Championship to earn his defensive credentials.

He hasn't got a defensive instinct in him. He is a wide right player who wants to be high up the pitch.

I've lost count of the number of times I said that this lad needed to get out into the Championship to earn his defensive credentials.

He hasn't got a defensive instinct in him. He is a wide right player who wants to be high up the pitch.
Play him in front of Coleman?

Dave, I would have thought the time spent in the Scottish League was the equivalent of our Championship.

Time will tell if he is good enough but last night he was hung out to dry by receiving absolutely no support from those ahead of him.

All young players need support to help them settle and they really have no chance without getting that.

But, I do agree that a spell out wide further up the field ahead of a right back might help make us more solid, give him more experience and might even give us more attacking threat than we have shown so far.

Time will tell if he is good enough but last night he was hung out to dry by receiving absolutely no support from those ahead of him.

All young players need support to help them settle and they really have no chance without getting that.

But, I do agree that a spell out wide further up the field ahead of a right back might help make us more solid, give him more experience and might even give us more attacking threat than we have shown so far.
Square peg Round hole?

Mate, he's out of his depth as a defender. He just cant do it.

We have a team struggling everywhere and the belief we can put him in and 'lend him support' is for the fairies.

He needs to be out on loan. Full stop. There's no learning on the job here. We cant afford that.

Square peg Round hole?
I don't think we can say that.
The team is not performing well, he is still a young inexperienced lad and he needs time to settle in but young players coming into teams are given support and helped to settle... this lad is getting none of that.

In particular this is where Townsend is being missed, it is one of the things he does well.

Dave, I would have thought the time spent in the Scottish League was the equivalent of our Championship.
Nope. And he didn't get that many games there either.

The lad is a winger that cant adapt to a wing back role in a big league. It's as simple `as that.

I've neen telling people this for ages, but 'obviously' I work to an agenda and I must be telling lies about it...apparently.

The lad is a winger that cant adapt to a wing back role in a big league. It's as simple `as that.

I've neen telling people this for ages, but 'obviously' I work to an agenda and I must be telling lies about it...apparently.

No you have not Dave imo.

Him and Nkounkou both look miles away from being top level full backs in the short term - I think Patterson has all the raw materials but just hasn’t played enough games in his career so far to develop them yet.

I think the likely direction of our season means Coleman or even Holgate right back would make more sense for me and send Patterson on loan for a season.

Him and Nkounkou both look miles away from being top level full backs in the short term - I think Patterson has all the raw materials but just hasn’t played enough games in his career so far to develop them yet.

I think the likely direction of our season means Coleman or even Holgate right back would make more sense for me and send Patterson on loan for a season.
It's looking like Mills might be in line before him too at this rate.

Maybe people will realise why Lampard looked at him last season and preferred to keep him on the bench at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.