Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upset about a youth team prospect you've never heard of leaving the club?

Distraught at the thought of Brentford beating you to the signing of a player you'd never heard of or watched until internet links surfaced?

Angrily smashing keyboards as you type analysis of another clubs new signing who we should have bought?

SamaritansTalktous.jpg
You didn’t know who KLP was until a few weeks ago?

You never know though. 12 months ago Gordon was coming off a mediocre loan at Preston and pre-season was probably a decision on whether to loan him out again or keep him for cover. Decided to keep him, got in the team through injuries now he’s a star player. There might not be youngsters in there who will start the first game of the season but possibly one or two ready to provide cover and grab an opportunity.
I hope that's the case but i presume with the experience the manager and back room staff have they must know by now who's going to be able to step up, they will have people watching the players out on loan to see how they are progressing and your definition of a star plater differs from mine.

It was backs to the wall. Not the time to try kids etc. we could not afford to drop a single point.
NOw we are free of the relegation shackles frank can actually implement stuff for the future

Was thinking same, if you going with blooding youth do it straight away, gives them confidence immediately that they have a real chance, they'll learn as they play, and might surprise a few.
You don't want to be calling on them when struggling
And TBF if we do struggle using the youngsters this year, it'll be them we need next season to get us back up, so they may as well get the experience now.

Good grief what have we become.

What are people's preferences regarding width should the speculation that Lampard wants to play three at the back come to fruition? I must say I am extremely uncomfortable with that formation for our current players but if that's the way we go then it is interesting to think of possible solutions.

I hold our current squad in very little regard, but I think perhaps one of the best, and as of yet unexplored, avenues is to partner DCL and Alli upfront together. Whilst Richy will be a huge loss, it's certainly not an exaggeration to say that he and DCL had miserable chemistry when they played upfront together and it is possible that Alli could prove to be a hugely instrumental figure just off the main striker. However, we would have to try and get a formation that resembled a 3-5-2 working, which removes the need for wingers and with that two of our more threatening players in Gordon and Gray.

The alternative is we go 3-4-3 but I like this formation far less as it has a real tendency to turn into a 5-2-2-1 as you get outnumbered in the centre of midfield and your wing backs have little alternative but to drop back. This formation would leave absolutely no place for Alli at all although it would allow us to use Gordon more naturally.

I think the difficulty in thinking of a line up that suits the few talented players we have says it all about our preposterous recruitment in recent years. Lampard really has a job on his hands trying to mould a team together in his image with this current crop of players, especially if he isn't able to do much in the market.

The idea that one or two of last season’s loan or academy players might emerge as ‘cover’ replacing Delph & Tosun is not preposterous. The problem is they are covering for a near relegation team minus Richarlison, adding Tarkowski. We can say ‘but injuries’ yet ageing and injury prone players like Allan, Mina and (realistically) Coleman tend to get injured. Given our limited financial position we need a lot of luck and some shrewdness in the coming weeks.

How's Mina ageing? He's 27

Status
Not open for further replies.