Old Everton Pictures

For @Major Gowen - T G Jones -TG Jones back 2nd left -with his Pwllheli team before an FA Cup game with Bootle in the 1953-54 season -

View attachment 173197
This was the TG Jones my Dad played against as a last minute guest. He scored, but compared clashing with TG as like being hit by a bag of cement. Tough as nails, but not a piece of foul play in the 90 minutes. My Dad worshipped him before the game, and that respect was only deepened by first-hand experience of how well he read the game, passed, and tackled. A superb player & even to this day our finest ever number 5.

This was the TG Jones my Dad played against as a last minute guest. He scored, but compared clashing with TG as like being hit by a bag of cement. Tough as nails, but not a piece of foul play in the 90 minutes. My Dad worshipped him before the game, and that respect was only deepened by first-hand experience of how well he read the game, passed, and tackled. A superb player & even to this day our finest ever number 5.

….fascinating insight, particularly the ‘bag of cement’ comment. As a forward you get used to contact but every now & then you come against a player who is like a brick wall. That physicality is rare, I played against Tony Kay long after he retired & he was as your Dad described.

…yep, I was going to comment earlier that fabulous picture won an award. I know you’ve told us before it was from his time at Blackpool but I don’t believe that :bye:
Think it was Highbury. The Arsenal one not Fleetwood. Be about season 61-62. Just before you stole him off us. Maybe your manager was impressed by the photo and thought yep he's ours. Then he did the same with our World Cup winner a few years later.

Think it was Highbury. The Arsenal one not Fleetwood. Be about season 61-62. Just before you stole him off us. Maybe your manager was impressed by the photo and thought yep he's ours. Then he did the same with our World Cup winner a few years later.

….two fabulous players I was fortunate enough to see plenty of. We have given a few to Blackpool in recent times, including some decent loanees. Decent links between the clubs.

I know that is what the caption says on this old photo. I came across it a while ago but if you look at the video of the match it is NOT the goal, he rounds the keeper before scoring; the seasons highlights are on you tube and this game is, obviously, towards the end,.

Fair swap for Bowen hows he's doing ? He looked very good in the under 23s here....

1657395540234.jpeg