Transfer Rumour Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.
You act like 29 is finished or something like that when most players play to the same level until they’re about 33 these days. Also our wages aren’t really a problem at all and never have been.

A free transfer like Lingard, let’s say he signed a 3 year deal with an option for a 4th, even if he’s only decent for 2 years we can easily ship him on to a lower down team for a fee. We’ve taken probably over half a million pound a week off the wage bill already so far this summer, if not more. We can afford the likes of Tarkowski and Lingard on higher wages because if we were to buy players of their quality, which we can’t, we’d be paying £15m at least in fees, if not more.

Also are we gonna pretend that Townsend wasn’t decent for us last year, despite the fact he was 29 when he signed, from a much worse team and is certainly a worse player than Lingard.
It's thinking like this that has us in the mess we're in now. Signing players on huge wages who are only ever going to depreciate in value is not a progressive way of helping the club get out of the mess it is in. We need to change track and find younger talent who stand a chance of rising in value.

Love how fans bang on about learning lessons then start saying Lingard would be a good signing...

If we didn't already have Alli, sure, at the right wage he'd be a decent addition. But we do have Alli and they're pretty much very similar players in that they aren't actually really creative, and they both want to play off the striker.

Lingard wouldn't be an awful addition but at the mooted wage he would be a really worrying signing for where we are now and would show once again no lessons have been learned.

What?

They are exactly the reason we can never sell anyone. We signed bang average players on champions league wages and then were stuck with them when they flopped.

To say our wages were never a problem is pretty remarkable. Our losses have been huge, partly because we pay enormous wages.
That’s not true though. Our problem is and always has been buying lots of crap unproven players, often for big fees not the wage we gave them. Off the top of my head I can only think of Gomes, Tosun and Sigurdsson as those on high wages that we absolutely couldn’t sell, with the big reason with the first 2 being dreadful injuries that derailed them completely.

I’m not saying this is a fine policy or anything like that. I’d love for us to not have to go after the likes of Lingard or Tarkowski and I’m fully behind people saying that we’ll be overpaying for them, because we absolutely will be. All I’m saying is in our current state we cannot regularly get players of their quality because we can’t buy them due to no money. I think in our current state it’s smart to overpay their wages right now, so that next year or the year after we can actually pay for a player with a fee.

We can absolutely afford to take the short term loss on their wages because we’ll still have a massive cut back in wages come the end of the summer regardless.

That’s not true though. Our problem is and always has been buying lots of crap unproven players, often for big fees not the wage we gave them. Off the top of my head I can only think of Gomes, Tosun and Sigurdsson as those on high wages that we absolutely couldn’t sell, with the big reason with the first 2 being dreadful injuries that derailed them completely.

I’m not saying this is a fine policy or anything like that. I’d love for us to not have to go after the likes of Lingard or Tarkowski and I’m fully behind people saying that we’ll be overpaying for them, because we absolutely will be. All I’m saying is in our current state we cannot regularly get players of their quality because we can’t buy them due to no money. I think in our current state it’s smart to overpay their wages right now, so that next year or the year after we can actually pay for a player with a fee.

We can absolutely afford to take the short term loss on their wages because we’ll still have a massive cut back in wages come the end of the summer regardless.
Players to leave Everton on free transfers in recent years:

Tosun
Delph
Kenny
Sigurdsson
King
Walcott
Besic
Bolasie
Williams

Then you have players like Bernard and James who went for nominal sums, due to high wages.

I'm not saying wages were the reason for everyone on that list, but it certainly was a major factor why we couldn't sell. Gomes and Mina are current examples.

He'll soon find out when he's got him a full season and he's been benched for half of it just like he did with Benrahma.

He did well for 3 months at West Ham and then sat on a wage at United until his contract ran out.

If Moyes wanted him again...he'd be there already.

Don't think so - his contract only finished today.

Suspect the reports linking him to Everton and now Spurs is likely fuelled by his representatives to force the issue with West Ham.

Status
Not open for further replies.