Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off topic but just off the back of a few comments, I don’t know what it is that people see differently with holgate. People always seem to swing from one extreme to the other with him when for be his performances have pretty consistently just been in the ‘alright’ bracket. I just find it a bit mad that people keep saying he really stepped up and was great at the end of the season. We conceded 10 in our last 3 games and he was centre half for all of them. How is that stepping up?!
He scored 2 goals in the last month and got an assist, we are a fickle bunch.

Off topic but just off the back of a few comments, I don’t know what it is that people see differently with holgate. People always seem to swing from one extreme to the other with him when for me his performances have pretty consistently just been in the ‘alright’ bracket. I just find it a bit mad that people keep saying he really stepped up and was great at the end of the season. We conceded 10 in our last 3 games and he was centre half for all of them. How is that stepping up?!

Wouldn’t the same premise apply to say Pickford.

I don’t think we have any option. Squad building is great, but we have immediate needs to sort right now and probably a limited budget. It’s not a mistake, it’s necessity.
It's been a necessity for 5 years though thats what I mean. It's great just referencing the state now, but this isn't anything new unfortunately.

Off topic but just off the back of a few comments, I don’t know what it is that people see differently with holgate. People always seem to swing from one extreme to the other with him when for me his performances have pretty consistently just been in the ‘alright’ bracket. I just find it a bit mad that people keep saying he really stepped up and was great at the end of the season. We conceded 10 in our last 3 games and he was centre half for all of them. How is that stepping up?!

8 of them were a result of going down to 10 men early v Brentford (3) and players having downed tools knowing we were safe v Arsenal (5).

Hardly a compelling argument

….it is a concern how he favours some bad players whilst not selecting good ones. Great players are not always the best judge of a player, the important thing is he knows when he’s going wrong & isn’t stubborn to put things right.

Still disappoints me that he played Kenny & I would prefer him to go with a back four.

Yes agreed, disappointing that he was starting bad players...especially Kenny. But I think he redeemed it by dropping Kenny and only use him as backup. Lets hope the decision to start him in the beginning was only down to Kenny playing well early in Lampard's reign.

Yes agreed, disappointing that he was starting bad players...especially Kenny. But I think he redeemed it by dropping Kenny and only use him as backup. Lets hope the decision to start him in the beginning was only down to Kenny playing well early in Lampard's reign.
Agreed. Now we only need to use kenny as back up when the food runs out on their pre season camp in alaskan mountains 10 day survival trip.

Wouldn’t the same premise apply to say Pickford.

8 of them were a result of going down to 10 men early v Brentford (3) and players having downed tools knowing we were safe v Arsenal (5).

Hardly a compelling argument
The 10 goals thing was just to try to illustrate the point, it wasn’t the crux of it. The main point was I didn’t think his performances changed that much, and I don’t think they have over the couple of years that have seen him veer from being hailed as top drawer to written off as a league one player. As goat pointed out, much of it probably comes from him scoring a couple of goals, which isn’t really how I judge my centre halves.

Status
Not open for further replies.