Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a great signing, those who say he can't pass haven't seen him at Brentford either. We finally have a long term CB.

I think given that he's cost Everton £50M and he's now a Brazil mainstay and moving into the best years of his career we should really be looking to get no less than £85M-£90M.
And somewhere on a Real Madrid forum someone will be Spanishly saying something like:

“Given that he cost Everton £35m and the team has gone backwards since they signed him, we really should be looking to pay no more than £50m”

I’d love us to get £85m+ for him but I honestly think we have no chance. I’ll try a cartwheel if we get 70. If I were a gamblin’ man I’d guess somewhere between £50-£60m maybe with an add-on or two.

And somewhere on a Real Madrid forum someone will be Spanishly saying something like:

“Given that he cost Everton £35m and the team has gone backwards since they signed him, we really should be looking to pay no more than £50m”

I’d love us to get £85m+ for him but I honestly think we have no chance. I’ll try a cartwheel if we get 70. If I were a gamblin’ man I’d guess somewhere between £50-£60m maybe with an add-on or two.
Cant be as low as that.

If this was the era of massive spending for us then maybe we'd see a cut price departure, but the fact is that Lampard needs every penny of a Richarlison sale to rebuild. Richarlison is going nowhere unless a very decent price is negotiated. Marcel Brands has left the building.

Here we go.

The only thing about this signing that gives me any comfort is that Frank wants him. Not because I think Lampard is some peerless spotter of talent, but it shows that he’s at least involved in the process and it’s not just Moshiri doing weird, Moshiri stuff.
Wanted him for Chelsea as well, so he's obviously rated incredibly highly by Frank and his team

Still think we'll pay him too much in wages, but I don't think he's an awful player or anything

I just can't help shake the feeling that with some better scouting we could have got comparable talent for less, or currently lower talent for less but with an upside to be potentially better

Going for an out of contract player from a recently relegated PL team just hits me as us not looking beyond the front door for potential signings, which is kind of disappointing. I was really hoping this whole DoF model would lead to us setting up a better scouting system so we weren't just always signing players from the front garden
I very much think this as well.

I'll judge Tarkowski on his own merits and sincerely hope he turns out to be a success.

But we are generally too dependent on this profile of signing and it many ways, it was the obvious one for this position. It might turn out well or not so well, but sooner or later, I'm looking for evidence of a far broader scope in player scouting because we'll need that to improve and progress.

We can really only judge the summer when the window closes. But in general terms I want to see us sign younger players, both domestically and globally that we don't initially have to overpay for and won't demand big wages. We must get back to a model where we can get 5-10 years service from some signings and/or sell them on for a big profit if they outgrow us. We must entice the best of young talent to come to the PL and not look so much for players to make sideways or downwards moves to us (as far as their career trajectory goes). I'm not necessarily putting Tarkowski into either of those categories but its a safe move for him supposedly on a pretty decent contract, both in years and wages.

I get the need to stabilise with safe, known-quantity type signings, particularly when they are available on a supposed "free" transfer. But we can equally stabilise and do better with a profile of player that I'd put in the young and hungry bracket. Predominantly that means joining from the EFL or from Europe, and the pull of the PL for the best young players in Europe, wherever they come from, is still great. We have to be looking to get the best of those players in and get first mover advantage by doing it early.

I want the big clubs to be sniffing around our players, it would be a sign of progress in itself. As it is, we can't even give certain players away. That has to change.

Cant be as low as that.

If this was the era of massive spending for us then maybe we'd see a cut price departure, but the fact is that Lampard needs every penny of a Richarlison sale to rebuild. Richarlison is going nowhere unless a very decent price is negotiated. Marcel Brands has left the building.
What we need really doesn’t factor into it, though, Dave. Every year we see posters (mainly @ForeverBlue92 ) stamping their feet and demanding we don’t sell a player for less than X.

If his suitor(s) don’t want to pay £80m+ then we either haggle a fee we can still put to good use or we put our foot down. If we put our foot down we have to keep our fingers crossed that Richy won’t down tools, and that the effect of keeping him on the team’s performance offsets the massive chunk we’d be taking out of his value by letting his contract run down to the final year.

We, along with all bar about 2 clubs in world football, are a selling club. If it transpires the most we can get out of a buyer is going to be £60m then I’d say take it.

Edit: Just realised we’re in the Tarkowski thread.

Looks like we’re signing Tarkowski, though, Dave!

It’s easy to say in hindsight but we’ve literally tried every profile of player recently

Prospects from championship: DCL Holgate Lookman Godfrey

Players not regulars at CL clubs: Digne Gomes Mina James Kean Dele Allan

Players from relegated/ lower prem teams: Keane Pickford Gueye Richarlison Doucoure

Experienced prem players: Williams Schneiderlin Siggurdson Delph Rondon Townsend Iwobi

Unknown non-PL prospects: Gbamin Mykolenko Patterson Vlasic

We’ve literally shopped in all the different markets and not many of them have worked so I’d say it’s something different than the player profile we need to be looking at.

For me it’s more about their application. No one can say that Digne Mina Gomes James Kean Allan Iwobi Lookman didn’t/don’t have ability, but at times their application for Everton was terrible.

If Tarkowski is available for most games each season and is giving his everything when out on the pitch then he’s probably far more useful than Mina was for us. If he’s come here to see out his career and have a holiday with the lads then it’ll be another terrible signing. We won’t know until later though.
Spending 90/100k on a 30 year old centre back on a four year deal is the kind of short termism that pervades the Moshiri era.

He might be what we need for a season or two, he might do well but he’s not particularly quick, he’s not great on the ball - that’s not going to improve, pace will get worse. That wage should be paid only to someone guaranteed to be in the first eleven - at this club anyway.

I’d be very disappointed if he’s our starting centre back for the next four years - if he isn’t then we end up with an incredibly expensive player sitting on the bench for the last couple of years of his contract.

I don’t agree it’s okay to pay him this for four seasons just because we are getting rid of some of our current high wage earners who sit on the bench.

Spending 90/100k on a 30 year old centre back on a four year deal is the kind of short termism that pervades the Moshiri era.

He might be what we need for a season or two, he might do well but he’s not particularly quick, he’s not great on the ball - that’s not going to improve, pace will get worse. That wage should be paid only to someone guaranteed to be in the first eleven - at this club anyway.

I’d be very disappointed if he’s our starting centre back for the next four years - if he isn’t then we end up with an incredibly expensive player sitting on the bench for the last couple of years of his contract.

I don’t agree it’s okay to pay him this for four seasons just because we are getting rid of some of our current high wage earners who sit on the bench.

Godfrey Branthwaite Patterson Mykolenko have also all arrived during the Moshiri era so is it short termism or is it balancing the squad a bit?

My main point is to wait and see how a player performs for us before judging them as we’ve bought loads of players all of different profiles, age, quality, price, and there’s been no common denominator that predicts good performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.