2021/22 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give him time.

If we are relegated, its not on him, we were in free fall before he arrived.

We need a mindset change and someone who has the ability and patience to do that - I hope it's Frank (everything I've heard from him suggests it will be) and they need time to do it.

Fundamentally, the group of players we've assembled is not good enough in any measure of a good footballing team.

Our recruitment needs to be young players with desire and if they think of Everton as a stepping stone, that's fine, so long as they produce while they're here and we sell them at big profit.

I think most will give him time tbh mate, however I will caveat that with he is not beyond being accused.

I seen the lineup for the palace match and knew we would get beat. We do not play well with 3 at the back, how many have we conceded playing that system since frank has been here.

That needs punting into space, he should have moved "mr chip on his shoulder" into Allans role, and then moved him back for more in defence if required. We needed the body in midfield not in defence.

Ultimately, his in game choices for me where odd too, 15 mins we where all over them when Townsend got his injury he should have brought DCL on for me - because we have no-one in the box and he might have made that difference we needed. Putting Gordon to left wingback was an awful decision.

2 weeks without a game - he should never have changed the formation imo.

So with that said, am not calling for him and I don't think many people are - that I've seen or heard, but he has to improve his selections and his in game decisions.

Frank, like he is clearly telling the players, has to do better - you have to work with the tools, no matter how blunt they are, at your disposal and find the best formation for them, not try to shoe horn them into the Chelsea 343.

He's like the third (possibly even fourth) manager in quick succession who's come in and after a few weeks pretty much admitted that it's a bigger fix-up job than they thought. Says a lot about the squad.

Its a huge job, absolutely. I think appointing Frank was the clubs admission this is a 5 year rebuild.

Frank now needs to make the right tactical decisions to ensure he is part of that rebuild.

I think most will give him time tbh mate, however I will caveat that with he is not beyond being accused.

I seen the lineup for the palace match and knew we would get beat. We do not play well with 3 at the back, how many have we conceded playing that system since frank has been here.

That needs punting into space, he should have moved "mr chip on his shoulder" into Allans role, and then moved him back for more in defence if required. We needed the body in midfield not in defence.

Ultimately, his in game choices for me where odd too, 15 mins we where all over them when Townsend got his injury he should have brought DCL on for me - because we have no-one in the box and he might have made that difference we needed. Putting Gordon to left wingback was an awful decision.

2 weeks without a game - he should never have changed the formation imo.

So with that said, am not calling for him and I don't think many people are - that I've seen or heard, but he has to improve his selections and his in game decisions.

Frank, like he is clearly telling the players, has to do better - you have to work with the tools, no matter how blunt they are, at your disposal and find the best formation for them, not try to shoe horn them into the Chelsea 343.
One thing I do wish is that he would play a consistent formation (my preference would be 4-3-3) and would not chop and change key partnerships so much (I'm aware some of this is due to injuries, suspension).

One thing I do wish is that he would play a consistent formation (my preference would be 4-3-3) and would not chop and change key partnerships so much (I'm aware some of this is due to injuries, suspension).

This is a must for me, we have to have a formation where players understand their roles.

When we play 3 at the back its like everyone things its sound just to abscond themselves of any blame and run in all weird directions. How is it possible with 3 at the back you concede more, says to me non of them know how to play that way.

I think not being able to field a settled side on a consistent basis has hit us hard even before Lampard came in this season, continuous injuries and daft suspensions put the stoppers on that. Mina especially is a huge miss but he's so unreliable that I'm questioning his desire this season, as with a lot of them.

Sick of people phoning it in over the slightest things, yes you, Fabien Delph you waste of space.

The appointment of Frank Lampard is definitely an attempt by the club to put a manager in place for the longer term, as the appointment of Kevin Thelwell is also an attempt to look to the longer term future of the club.
Having Tim Cahill involved in decision making is ,in my opinion, a recognition of the mistakes that have been made in recent years and is an attempt to bring a more knowledgeable influence in decision making. I think Graham Sharp is also a step in the right direction as he comes from a successful period in our history.

Frank Lampard has landed right into the middle of a relegation dog fight and even though it feels longer he has only been at the club for around seven weeks now.
It will take him quite some time to put his stamp on the club and on the team and at the moment is involved in a fire fighting exercise.

The only positive thing to take from this is that he is finding out very quickly the players he sees as the future of our club and those who have no future here.

The appointment of Frank Lampard is definitely an attempt by the club to put a manager in place for the longer term, as the appointment of Kevin Thelwell is also an attempt to look to the longer term future of the club.
Having Tim Cahill involved in decision making is ,in my opinion, a recognition of the mistakes that have been made in recent years and is an attempt to bring a more knowledgeable influence in decision making. I think Graham Sharp is also a step in the right direction as he comes from a successful period in our history.

Frank Lampard has landed right into the middle of a relegation dog fight and even though it feels longer he has only been at the club for around seven weeks now.
It will take him quite some time to put his stamp on the club and on the team and at the moment is involved in a fire fighting exercise.

The only positive thing to take from this is that he is finding out very quickly the players he sees as the future of our club and those who have no future here.
If he keeps us up I think he'll be the ideal manager for us.

Coming through this baptism of fire will hand him enormous credibility. We just need those extra 10 points or so that sees us safely home.

It's not the first time he's called them out though, he did it after Spurs as well when he got the tactics wrong.

I support him doing it but it wears thin quickly if you won't take responsibility yourself. He took the credit for the first 20 minutes and then blamed the players for the rest of the game.
Pretty much this.

Calling out players is one thing, calling them out and taking no responsibility yourself (when there is definitely responsibility to take) is another. It smacks of a very thin skin, ego, arse covering.

We’re not Chelsea, we don’t have players to set up 523/343. We’ve seen how many managers try it with these players and fail? You do have to take responsibility Frank because if you don’t think you’re doing anything wrong, presumably you’ll keep trying the same thing with the same result.

Cue increasingly huffy post match interviews and your old uncle Harry popping up on Talksport throwing the players under the bus.

This is what frank needs to address swiftly.

Passes18th
Shots17th
Corners20th
Crosses15th
Clean Sheets15th

We rank 2nd in Tackles because we cannot keep hold of the ball and when we have it we cannot pass it.

Playing wings back who cannot pass and who are not techincally good is not going to win us games.

This is a must for me, we have to have a formation where players understand their roles.

When we play 3 at the back its like everyone things its sound just to abscond themselves of any blame and run in all weird directions. How is it possible with 3 at the back you concede more, says to me non of them know how to play that way.
If he can find a formation that works I think he would stick to it. We are just awful in every formation he has tried.

Pretty much this.

Calling out players is one thing, calling them out and taking no responsibility yourself (when there is definitely responsibility to take) is another. It smacks of a very thin skin, ego, arse covering.

We’re not Chelsea, we don’t have players to set up 523/343. We’ve seen how many managers try it with these players and fail? You do have to take responsibility Frank because if you don’t think you’re doing anything wrong, presumably you’ll keep trying the same thing with the same result.

Cue increasingly huffy post match interviews and your old uncle Harry popping up on Talksport throwing the players under the bus.
Good post. On the flip side would any new manager blame themselves? You very very rarely hear ANY manager saying they got things wrong. Maybe we are being unrealistic here.

If he can find a formation that works I think he would stick to it. We are just awful in every formation he has tried.
He needs to rewatch the City game and pick out the things that made it work;
-Played a 4-3-3
-Didn’t play a high press, so we were compact with little/no space between the lines.
-Quick and effective breaks with VDB having the time to play the ball forwards.
- substitutions that gave city something different to worry about without changing the solidity of defence/midfield protection.

This should be the system for all away games where we need to be more solid. Probably most home games as well, maybe with the exception of Brentford where a high press might pay off.

[,
This is what frank needs to address swiftly.

Passes18th
Shots17th
Corners20th
Crosses15th
Clean Sheets15th

We rank 2nd in Tackles because we cannot keep hold of the ball and when we have it we cannot pass it.

Playing wings back who cannot pass and who are not techincally good is not going to win us games.

It's not changed massively from Benitez, has improved in some areas (possession mostly).

Those stats aren't going to change especially if you compare the two managers on the same amount of games. 10 Vs 20 odd

Status
Not open for further replies.