Match Thread Newcastle United v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a feeling this would happen tonight , Newcastle have had a 17 day rest and that is massive agst a team that played 3 days ago under a new manager.
Real advantage to Newcastle.

At best I hoped we could snatch a draw but once Gray & Mina went off game plan is out the window and the game drifted away from us.

St Maximan was a massive difference for them tonight too.

Home game agst Leeds up next who play tomorow I would expect working with the squad more we get a much needed win.

Ultimately it was too big an ask tonight.

We are in a real mess. Keeping Benitez for so long, allowing him to sell Digne, not appointing a replacement manager sooner after sacking him…all terrible, terrible decisions. Who is accountable? Where are they?
The whole selling Digne and then firing Benitez a week later has the potential to be a highlight in a future Everton documentary. Truly baffling.

Just get Matty Preston in. Sign him in the Summer staraight away and our bottleless poodles may feel a little bit more protected from nasty bullying opponents. Oh and he's better than any of our centre backs including Mina.

Had a feeling this would happen tonight , Newcastle have had a 17 day rest and that is massive agst a team that played 3 days ago under a new manager.

At best I hoped we could snatch a draw but once Gray & Mina went off game plan is out the window and the game drifted away from us.

Home game agst Leeds up next who play tomorow I would expect working with the squad more we get a much needed win.

Saint Maximin gets written off on here. Apparently he is gash.

Not from what I see.

Agreed, lack of nous once again. Happens far too often with our players.

Not in absolute despair over the result though. It can happen. Newcastle will win a lot more games at home from now on, I reckon.

The bigger worry is how the injuries to Gray and Mina saw us absolutely fall apart again, especially Mina. If we're without those two for a significant length of time - and in the case of Mina, let's face it, we will be - I don't see any good solutions in the squad.
When Mina went off, Newcastle knew they could bully us.

Mina did his all to stay on but he's gone, he just can't compensate for the strain his body goes through while recovering. Such a friggin shame

I think we saw the difference between an experienced coach and a relative rookie tonight.
I'm not sure that's really the case.

For example, who plays at LB if Townsend doesn't?

I guess the Dele sub was a mistake but clearly DCL couldn't do 70 mins after his latest injury.

Gomes was a walking disaster from about the 30th min onwards so had to be taken off and that used up the last sub.

The Gray injury did us in. That's not saying injuries are an excuse, they aren't, but I'm not sure where we had the wiggle room to change it? We have a very real issue that we have three RBs now and 0 LBs.

We had a world class player but he liked to play games on twitch and got moaned at coz he didn’t know who we played next week. Then we sold him and got Rondon in.
Well yeah, but that's Everton fans and Rafael Benitez for you.

That being said, James never had the pace to take 3-4 players out of the game. He obviously had the vision and skill, mind.

Yeah thought we could well get battered tonight. They were right up for it and we were our usual selves.

Well yeah, but that's Everton fans and Rafael Benitez for you.

That being said, James never had the pace to take 3-4 players out of the game. He obviously had the vision and skill, mind.

Oh of course mate, he’s never been able to do that, but he’d be doubled up on and create space for others and we know he was unbelievable at creating opportunities. As it stands with have nothing at all creatively. Him, Sigurdsson and Digne were our top 3 creators last year and we’ve sold two of them. Absolutely insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.