Everton January 2022 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the opening offer was £35k (ish) and then Johnson and the agent were open mouthed...so Ridsdale took it the wrong way and assumed they were shocked as it was so low...

...instantly increased the offer to £55k.

Amazing story that, they apparently stepped outside to discuss and were about to break their hand off for the £30k and they went to £60k.

Amazing story that, they apparently stepped outside to discuss and were about to break their hand off for the £30k and they went to £60k.
Sadly the story isnt true.

And the ex-Crewe midfielder has confirmed he wasn't even present at the contract negotiations.

“People don’t know the story,” he told Planet Football. "When they talk about negotiations for the contract, I wasn’t even there. The contract had nothing to do with me.

“I remember being at home when it got sorted. I’d agreed to go, but my agent rung me up and told me about the deal.

“It wasn’t motivated by money for me. I’d had a good couple of years at Derby and just signed a new deal so I was on decent money anyway, but Derby were bottom of the league at the time, Leeds were near the top, I knew a lot of the lads there, and Derby decided to sell me because they wanted the money.”

I think the opening offer was £35k (ish) and then Johnson and the agent were open mouthed...so Ridsdale took it the wrong way and assumed they were shocked as it was so low...

...instantly increased the offer to £55k.
That's more or less the version I was told and that was from an ex Leeds player.

Guehi wasn't cheap and Gallagher is only on loan but I understand your point.
Loans are still worthwhile imo. Maybe Palace don't bring him back but you feel a lot better about it having him for a year first. 18m isn't the cheapest but we were spending that and more on players with much less upside.

A big part of the problem was that we just allowed ourselves to be fleeced. It was like we wanted to be seen throwing money around and so gave people contracts way in excess of what was necessary. I don't believe for a second that Tosun wouldn't have come here for considerably less than we offered him, it's like we just didn't negotiate at all. We probably trebled his wage to give him a move he'd have given his right arm for anyway, it's madness. He's just one example, there are loads of players we've done it with, both in terms of signings and extensions.

It's like the old story of Seth Johnson going to Leeds and his agent telling him not to say a word because he wasn't going to accept a penny less than 20k a week, and Ridsdale opening with an offer of 40.
The new management was clearly reading the forum circa late Moyes, and said to themselves, "Ha! Gentleman, if those insufferable chronic whingers want net spend THEN WE SHALL GIVE THEM NET SPEND!!!! Get Sigurdsson's agent back on the phone again!"

If you want cheap talent a decent idea is to just poach players ready to play off of the built up youth systems like Chelsea and the Red Bull cartel. I mean Southampton and Palace both have found some of their best players at Chelsea and they are all likely to get better too. We've also done this in the past but I guess we decided we were too good for it now.
I suspect Chelsea would be more open to approaches from us now but a few years back, after the Lukaku situation, it appeared they were a little bit more reluctant to do business with us.

Sadly the story isnt true.

And the ex-Crewe midfielder has confirmed he wasn't even present at the contract negotiations.

“People don’t know the story,” he told Planet Football. "When they talk about negotiations for the contract, I wasn’t even there. The contract had nothing to do with me.

“I remember being at home when it got sorted. I’d agreed to go, but my agent rung me up and told me about the deal.

“It wasn’t motivated by money for me. I’d had a good couple of years at Derby and just signed a new deal so I was on decent money anyway, but Derby were bottom of the league at the time, Leeds were near the top, I knew a lot of the lads there, and Derby decided to sell me because they wanted the money.”

Why ruin a good story with facts ffs.

Love how these stories of players we had moved for come out now. Just read we wanted a centre back (Diallo from PSG) on deadline day but didn't have time to sort it! Don't believe half of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.