Match Thread Everton v Aston Villa - Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

MOTM vs Aston Villa

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that none of the new signings were in the squad. I don’t know if it was some sort of message or just that they genuinely aren’t ready or good enough.

I think the biggest mistake was going 4-4-2 but you can see from the team selection that he wanted to get the ball wide and get crosses in, the problem is that we just weren’t good enough and started to get overrun in midfield - we must go with 3 in midfield from now on.

Not having a settled defence is a problem but Dunc was absolutely right to make changes, including dropping Michael Keane but playing Godfrey at left back shows were we’re at. We’re a premier league club that play a centre back at left back - it’s unbelievable that we resort to this.

I’m positive the team will improve but it’s going to be a slog over the next 10 games or so.

Personally I don’t think a front 4 of DCL, Richy, Gordon and Gray works it’s too direct and we just lose the ball too much. We are massively missing someone with some composure that can control the ball behind the striker and create something. As good as Gordon, Gray and Richie are that isn’t really their game as they are more direct. I don’t think Richie works behind the striker either and to get the best out of Richie / DCL as a striker we need Gray and Gordon on the wings.

Cant get over how bad that starting 11 was yesterday you know.

Can imagine being fan around the ground yesterday buzzing for the game cause Benitez is gone, Dunc in and all that - then 11:30am comes and you see what the daft idiot sticks out on the pitch - it zapped every last bit of positivity out of the fans i reckon, he royally screwed it.

Why he, after being there ALL SEASON thought two in the middle would work now that Benitez is gone is mad. If Allan wasnt fit for 90, so what, start him & bring him off after 60/70mins.

Why he thought sticking Gordon on the bench was a good idea is absolutely baffling, and dont get me started on Jonjoe Kenny. The kids out of contract in four months but is starting MUST WIN games.

He showed he hadnt learnt anything, despite yeno working with all these managers and this and that. He’s part of the problem & he needs to go when the new man comes in.

Personally I don’t think a front 4 of DCL, Richy, Gordon and Gray works it’s too direct and we just lose the ball too much. We are massively missing someone with some composure that can control the ball behind the striker and create something. As good as Gordon, Gray and Richie are that isn’t really their game as they are more direct. I don’t think Richie works behind the striker either and to get the best out of Richie / DCL as a striker we need Gray and Gordon on the wings.

Good post this.

Being without James, Digne, Gyfit is a massive massive loss to this group. Those 3 are the calming cool on the ball type players we are crying out for.

Good post this.

Being without James, Digne, Gyfit is a massive massive loss to this group. Those 3 are the calming cool on the ball type players we are crying out for.
Not an unreasonable shout, but I think absent players get better with every poor result. They become the solution to problems they may be unable to solve. GS was at the scene of the crime on many occasions and James faded.

Not an unreasonable shout, but I think absent players get better with every poor result. They become the solution to problems they may be unable to solve. GS was at the scene of the crime on many occasions and James faded.
You are right but in terms of playing squad the main difference from last season is GS and James.
When we were on song during first half of the season James was playing. When he was unavailable for most of the second half of last season we went on that wretched run.

GS got a lot of hate on this forum and at times rightly so but I do think he has been massively missed this season and that role hasn’t been replaced.

GS got a lot of hate on this forum and at times rightly so but I do think he has been massively missed this season and that role hasn’t been replaced.
He was capable of coming up with a goal or an assist in tight games which we definitely could have done with this season. We definitely need a playmaker, although how effective they would be when the rest of the team can’t pass it 5 yards to them is open to debate!

You are right but in terms of playing squad the main difference from last season is GS and James.
When we were on song during first half of the season James was playing. When he was unavailable for most of the second half of last season we went on that wretched run.
James probably would have scored or created some good chances yesterday. Still have visions of his pass for Richy at Anfield. And then I cry when I think of this season lol

I think we're just another battler away from having a midfield that can compete. Doucs and Allan are good but so often are coming up against a 3. Get one more bod in there. 4 at the back with 3 in front of them. Of course we sacrifice something up top but I think it's what we need to do in this day an age. There's a reason 4-4-2 is redundant in modern football.

Yeah but that James - Gylfi 'TYPE' of player either in the front 4 or as one of the midfielders - someone who can pass, cross as full backs and one of the centre backs too. But not as lightweight and anonymous as them. Later maybe, but then even Man City, Liverpool Chelsea don't afford a 'luxury player ' any more - it's just not compatible with the speed and physical nature nowadays which is why Ozil also faded

I know we can end up needing one of everything but we need good passers, good tacklers and good physical presence everywhere!

Cant get over how bad that starting 11 was yesterday you know.

Can imagine being fan around the ground yesterday buzzing for the game cause Benitez is gone, Dunc in and all that - then 11:30am comes and you see what the daft idiot sticks out on the pitch - it zapped every last bit of positivity out of the fans i reckon, he royally screwed it.

Why he, after being there ALL SEASON thought two in the middle would work now that Benitez is gone is mad. If Allan wasnt fit for 90, so what, start him & bring him off after 60/70mins.

Why he thought sticking Gordon on the bench was a good idea is absolutely baffling, and dont get me started on Jonjoe Kenny. The kids out of contract in four months but is starting MUST WIN games.

He showed he hadnt learnt anything, despite yeno working with all these managers and this and that. He’s part of the problem & he needs to go when the new man comes in.
Did you go to Norwich ?

This is utter nonsense, Three of the four defenders were dropped and Gordon was terrible at Norwich and deserved to be left out as well

Some of the decision making at the top end of the pitch was really poor yesterday. The amount of times we seem to hold onto the ball when there's an easy pass on to do a give and go is criminal.

We don't half make football look very, very difficult.

If they're going to get a new manager in, they need to do it now whilst we have a 2 week break and a chance fir a new manager tinware with the squad. The midfield is light and needs reinforcements though I think thats too late unless they get someone in the next day or so to take over.

A right royal blue mess

Status
Not open for further replies.