Who's next after Benitez - Poll reset 25th Jan

Who's next from this list ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unpopular opinion, but he is the only one we've sacked who I think might have come good eventually.

He sort of had to go, because we were in a downward spiral, but I still think the summer transfer window and the injuries were what were his downfall.

That was the summer he asked for Zouma and didn't get him. He asked for a replacement for Gueye and got Gbamin and Delph. He asked for a left footed right winger and got Iwobi. He asked for an experienced striker to contribute and challenge DCL and he got Moise Kean. Brands and Moshiri let him down badly there, but I don't disagree that he had to go. Things had fallen apart.

Wasn't perfect, difficult to warm to and there were bits and pieces I could moan about, but overall I think circumstances were his downfall rather than his coaching ability.

Be interested to see how he gets on next season.
Of all the managerial appointments since Moyes left, he's the only one I would have chosen at the time (I was buzzing when Carlo came - just didn't see that coming). Still think Marco's a good manager.

Who ever is appointed is a massive gamble as the last 5 have proved, give it to Rooney and dunc, they are both blue through and through, who ever it is will be gone in a year,

After 4 games in charge last time it fizzled out from a win to a cup exit and two draws.

That wasn't good enough from a new manager / caretaker manager bounce. The 0-0 Arsenal game at home was utter turd. The team lost belief. The owners would have noted that.

There's no other way forward here than a new manager coming in. We have half a season left, not 6/7 games. And we have the next 17 days or so to get one for after the international break.

Chelsea (W 3-1)
Man United (D 1-1)
Leicester (Cup L Pens)
Arsenal (D 0-0)

Better than the results of both your serrano ham men.

They're different players I don't know how many times we need to go over this. We've signed 11 players since the start of last season and brought in some youth players too this isn't the same squad that Silva had its nothing like it.

They may be different players but if the quality/mentality is still poor then what difference does it make?

Going through our squad:

Top 4 quality players:
None

Top 7-8 quality players:
DCL
Richarlison
Gray
Doucoure
Pickford
Mina (barely available due to fitness)

6 players in the entire squad for me are good enough to push for top 7-8.

Then you have the likes of:

Keane
Holgate
Gomes
Coleman
Davies
Gbamin
Delph
Iwobi
Kenny

9 players straight from the off that are either not good enough ability wise or have suspect mentalities. Throw in inconsistent players like Allan, Godfrey who can be good one game then really poor the next.

Thats ultimately the issue - fans want a fight for top 7 when we simply dont have the numbers in the squad good enough to push for those places.

Doesn't matter who we appoint - seeing the likes of Ancelotti and Silva doing well shows you that ultimately this group of players are the problem.

You'll chase the next fella oot just like you did with Benitez and still sit wondering why we'll have gone through 7 managers in 6 years.
There’s a couple of aspects to that. Firstly, ‘this group of players’ has been something people have been saying for the last 10 years at least. They were bottlers under Moyes apparently, then threw Martinez under the bus, then Koeman etc etc. The squads gone through about 5 total transformations in that time but somehow they’re still ‘this group of players’.

Secondly, it is obviously the players to a large extent, and we all know that. Not ‘this group’ of players, and not because of some weird quirk that means we just keep signing players with the wrong mentality, but because our recruitment has been really poor and there aren’t many players in the squad who are genuinely good enough to get us to the top part of the table. The squad clearly lacks technical ability all over the pitch, lacks balance, and lacks pace throughout the spine of the team. So yeah, in that respect we probably need to lower our expectations of what the team can achieve currently - 16th is most definitely not good enough but realistically 10th probably wouldn’t be underachieving as such.

That leads to the third point, and probably the most important. For as long as moshiri tries to get Hollywood names and talks about winning trophies and sacks managers and DoFs left right and centre, all of which he has done consistently since he’s been here, the fans will be impatient and intolerant of poor performance. The strategy and patience needs to come from the top, and the fans will follow that lead.

We were 2-0 down against Leicester and came back to take it to penalties? Arsenal was crap, one of the worst games of football I’ve ever seen, but there is context to be applied whether you want to or not.
Bains scored a world on the 90 odd minute if I remember from about 25 yards out maybe more.. great goal

I’m not saying we don’t need a permanent manager. But your writing off of a manager based on FOUR games which were very difficult fixtures in testing circumstances injury-wise, is bizarre as you’ve been telling everyone on here you refuse to judge Benitez until he’s had a full season and all his best players fit.
Who was injured.. I Remeber he had DCL and Rich for the games

They may be different players but if the quality/mentality is still poor then what difference does it make?

Going through our squad:

Top 4 quality players:
None

Top 7-8 quality players:
DCL
Richarlison
Gray
Doucoure
Pickford
Mina (barely available due to fitness)

6 players in the entire squad for me are good enough to push for top 7-8.

Then you have the likes of:

Keane
Holgate
Gomes
Coleman
Davies
Gbamin
Delph
Iwobi
Kenny

9 players straight from the off that are either not good enough ability wise or have suspect mentalities. Throw in inconsistent players like Allan, Godfrey who can be good one game then really poor the next.

Thats ultimately the issue - fans want a fight for top 7 when we simply dont have the numbers in the squad good enough to push for those places.
I'm not saying they're good enough obviously they aren't I could have told you that before we even signed most of them but thats not what you were saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.