Who's next after Benitez - Poll reset 25th Jan

Who's next from this list ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted for Dunc but am switching to Rooney.

It's as bad as it gets right now but another "experienced manager" is just... *shrug*

Let's change the game. Let's get some excitement going. Rooney appointed as Manager of Everton would dominate headlines across the planet and I think will give the club a much-needed shot of adrenaline...
If Rooney is interviewing for the Everton job I cant see Ferguson having a sniff of it anyway, No way would WR step on the shoes of his former idol if he had a run at the job.

5EC45228-3762-4BE6-B3F7-DC353B858607.jpeg

He got Chelsea 4th in his first season then he had them top of the league by December the following season. The wheels fell off as he lost 5 of the next 8 games.
Yeah do think Lampard gets unfair stick tbh. Chelsea's slump started when we beat them at Goodison in that 1-0 when there were 2,000 allowed back.

That being said not sure he'd be top of my list but he's certainly an improvement on what we've just had and would be preferable over Martinez.

Cards on the table, I don't want Rooney - I think it's much too soon in his career and I'd want a body of evidence that he could be successful here before I wanted him. Just over 12 months isn't enough IMO.

Having said that, I found myself Googling Derby's tactical set-ups out of interest to see if he was doing anything vaguely interesting and I came across this:

1-0 up against Huddersfield, he hooked two of his players at half time as he wanted to change the shape as he felt Huddersfield were causing them too many problems.

We've had managers where we've been losing at half time and we've been under the cosh and they still haven't made tactical or personnel changes

Anyway, not a reason to hire him but I found it interesting
Interesting quotes them, he’s just shown quite fine leadership skills and communication.

He got Chelsea 4th in his first season then he had them top of the league by December the following season. The wheels fell off as he lost 5 of the next 8 games.
Yeah I get that Dave. He had his moments. Thing is, he did that with a team that 6 months later win the Champions League. There was an instant difference once he was replaced. That means we can't blame transfer bans, players or anything else. It was a dramatic difference and the only change was the manager. As I say, we can't expect anyone like Tuchel, but it should be obvious Lampard didn't get the best out of that squad.

I am not for a full time appointee while the boards under review and we have no DoF (preference would be Dunc till seasons end) but I dont understand at all why Jesse Marsch's name would not be thrown about in the rumor mill. Leipzig went badly sure, but 6 months ago this was one of the brightest and most sought after coaches in Europe, with an excellent development track record at Salzburg. The quickness of his dismissal is what I would think a rare opportunity to fetch someone who was one of the most engaging german style coaches (although american). And his energy on the touch line and brutal honesty (let alone no language barrier) I would think would fit us nicely.

The idea that he wouldn't be preferred over say a Lampard I find laughable.

Yeah I get that Dave. He had his moments. Thing is, he did that with a team that 6 months later win the Champions League. There was an instant difference once he was replaced. That means we can't blame transfer bans, players or anything else. It was a dramatic difference and the only change was the manager. As I say, we can't expect anyone like Tuchel, but it should be obvious Lampard didn't get the best out of that squad.
Tuchel figured out how to defensively organise those players and play out on the break. It was like a light was switched on.

I think Lampard would have learned from that.

I was reading something earlier on Derby’s XG stats from their promotion season indicating they were massively lucky to go up as they did. I don’t place too much in that type of measurement but coupled with his rapid Chelsea collapse it’s not very endearing for me.

Yeah do think Lampard gets unfair stick tbh. Chelsea's slump started when we beat them at Goodison in that 1-0 when there were 2,000 allowed back.

That being said not sure he'd be top of my list but he's certainly an improvement on what we've just had and would be preferable over Martinez.
He signed the players which went on to win the champions league.
He gets very unnecessary stick.

He would probably have seen the season out if Tuchel had not become available.

I know its incredibly appealing especially when your club has been perennially mediocre for a couple of decades to embrace nostalgia and romanticism. Abiding by tradition and a sense of devotion is sound in principle but ultimately a savvy and resourceful manager surpasses anyone with past affiliations to the club. Kovacs or Diego Martinez over Ferguson or Rooney

Cards on the table, I don't want Rooney - I think it's much too soon in his career and I'd want a body of evidence that he could be successful here before I wanted him. Just over 12 months isn't enough IMO.

Having said that, I found myself Googling Derby's tactical set-ups out of interest to see if he was doing anything vaguely interesting and I came across this:

1-0 up against Huddersfield, he hooked two of his players at half time as he wanted to change the shape as he felt Huddersfield were causing them too many problems.

We've had managers where we've been losing at half time and we've been under the cosh and they still haven't made tactical or personnel changes

Anyway, not a reason to hire him but I found it interesting

I find it strange that some assume the more dynamic or instinctive footballers will not be tactically astute or particularly interested in that aspect. Or one with a bit of a weight issue and premature balding will automatically be a simplistic 442 Blood and Thunder sort.

And likewise think that the deep-lying playmakers or defensive minded fullbacks will automatically be great football thinkers.

I am not for a full time appointee while the boards under review and we have no DoF, but I dont understand at all why Jesse Marsch's name would not be thrown about in the rumor mill. Leipzig went badly sure, but 6 months ago this was one of the brightest and most sought after coaches in Europe, with an excellent development track record at Salzburg. The quickness of his dismissal is what I would think a rare opportunity to fetch someone who was one of the most engaging german style coaches (although american). And his energy on the touch line and brutal honesty (let alone no language barrier) I would think would fit us nicely.

The idea that he wouldn't be preferred over say a Lampard I find laughable.

There's a plethora of promising European coaches out there, we seem to ignore all of them either because they aren't a big enough name or because they don't have an Everton connection

Status
Not open for further replies.