Who's next after Benitez - Poll reset 25th Jan

Who's next from this list ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re right, they’re not. But we should go for the best manager available to us.

Not just giving it to Ferguson because he strangled someone once and threw Paul ince on his arse in a derby.
I agree it shouldn't be Ferguson just because of that but the problem is there's not much to say he isn't the best manager available to us now. I think last summer we could have got someone good but we're in a bad spot now and a lot of managers who might have come before won't come now plus we probably won't pay proper compensation so the options aren't great. I'm not saying get Ferguson in just that the names linked are not much more inspiring.

They are all a massive risk and the success of a manager is as much to do with the alignment of the stars than any perceived secret formula.

Good timing, the right chemistry with the right group and dumb luck, that’s what we want.

A lucky general.
This is so often true!

We can't go with someone with no proven record of tactical awareness just because he'll get the juices flowing. Wayne will have the place bouncing... until the first time we're outplayed by a manager who knows what he's doing. There's no evidence that he'll attract big players either: Shearer, Cannavaro, Pirlo, Maradona and others had a go at management. Brilliant players, didn't do that much in management and certainly didn't get big names signing just because they were great players.

Who did Tuchel bring in to shore up that defence? He's sold a good £60M chunk of it but I'm not aware of them going into the market for defensive players the price of Rice or Tarkowski.

There were notable defensive decencies in Lampard's set up at Chelsea with there being pretty much no impetus on his advanced players to track back. Teams were strolling round the space in front of the back line and doubling up on fullbacks but all Lampard could do was talk about individual errors. When you're constantly allowing opposition to put pressure on your backline with no support then those errors increase as there are more opportunities to make them.

Those "individual errors" that were resolved pretty quickly when a manager came in with a bit more attention to detail, who asked a bit more of those further forward and drilled a little more thinking into when their fullbacks should get forward instead of all the time.

And given how easily our current lot are walked through I think Lampard would be a disastrous appointment. He'd not have the luxury of a technically excellent midfield and CL level attacking players to paper over the cracks at Goodison.
Spot on mate

We can't go with someone with no proven record of tactical awareness just because he'll get the juices flowing. Wayne will have the place bouncing... until the first time we're outplayed by a manager who knows what he's doing. There's no evidence that he'll attract big players either: Shearer, Cannavaro, Pirlo, Maradona and others had a go at management. Brilliant players, didn't do that much in management and certainly didn't get big names signing just because they were great players.
Cards on the table, I don't want Rooney - I think it's much too soon in his career and I'd want a body of evidence that he could be successful here before I wanted him. Just over 12 months isn't enough IMO.

Having said that, I found myself Googling Derby's tactical set-ups out of interest to see if he was doing anything vaguely interesting and I came across this:

1-0 up against Huddersfield, he hooked two of his players at half time as he wanted to change the shape as he felt Huddersfield were causing them too many problems.

We've had managers where we've been losing at half time and we've been under the cosh and they still haven't made tactical or personnel changes

Anyway, not a reason to hire him but I found it interesting

I voted for Dunc but am switching to Rooney.

It's as bad as it gets right now but another "experienced manager" is just... *shrug*

Let's change the game. Let's get some excitement going. Rooney appointed as Manager of Everton would dominate headlines across the planet and I think will give the club a much-needed shot of adrenaline...

We might as well have a transfer ban - we've got no money! He still had one of the best squads in the league. Tuchel came in and they were immediately better. I know we're not getting anyone of Tuchel's quality but Lampard didn't get the most out of those players. Priority for us is someone who can do that.
He got Chelsea 4th in his first season then he had them top of the league by December the following season. The wheels fell off as he lost 5 of the next 8 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.