2021/22 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAF sold Paul Ince when he stopped doing what he told him to do. That was before he had the iron grip on the club he soon did have, and against the wishes of most fans, and many on the Board at OT.

He sold Ince (later saying regrettably) because they had a clash of personality, not because he stopped doing what Fergie told him. They kept having barney's as Fergie felt he was getting a massive ego. Also blamed him for a champs League loss and had Nicky Butt coming through.

Always respected him though. Called him a big time Charle when United played the RS because he knew Ince would bully United if they let him.

Him telling Benitez whatever he told him isn't undermining. It's saying "This isn't working, we really should try to do it a different way". If a manager in football can't take any criticism of how he sets up and has us play, he shouldn't be managing in football.
Well yes managers should be coached by each one of the players. Quiet a logic.

There's a reason he signed for Villa and not, City, Utd, Chelsea, Barca, Arsenal or any of the so called Big clubs. He's signed for a mediocre club, at this point in their history, because he's a mediocre player.
He has been forced out and none of the big boys need a left back or can afford one for the money we want.

Villa are a proper club, they have just had a rough few years. Loads of potential there.

The problem is that we do not know. Everything is speculation, and those who hate Benitez will always seek truths that put Benitez in a bad light. But ok, let's say Digne said it that way.

What if Benitez said: Okay, I see your point, but there will not be the right balance in the team if we play like that, and I want to give Gray quite a lot of offensive freedom on your side, and then you have to balance, and take fewer offensive runs. .
Digne: But what about my statistics?
Benitez: What do you mean? The only relevant statistic is the one that applies to the team.
Digne: Okay, I do not want to play for Everton anymore. I have bigger ambitions.
Absolutely this could be true.

But love or hate benitez he's done this everywhere he has been which is my point, if it was digne and someone who's not known for falling out with players you might be less inclined to believe it.

Same way if it was a player who had a history of being an arse you'd be less inclined to believe, but Rafael being Rafael and digne being digne I know who I believe

I do believe he's seen his arse over getting called out for the fraud he is and sold digne as a result. Again

He sold Ince (later saying regrettably) because they had a clash of personality, not because he stopped doing what Fergie told him. They kept having barney's as Fergie felt he was getting a massive ego. Also blamed him for a champs League loss and had Nicky Butt coming through.

Always respected him though. Called him a big time Charle when United played the RS because he knew Ince would bully United if they let him.

Well, lets agree there a were a few reasons, cos, yeah, you are correct. But one of them was Ince stopped being a DM, against SAF instructions. Its the reason he (SAF) said was how Everton won the cup.

Or ...they've all got left backs and don't want to/can't play £25mill for one...

Just out of curiosity. Is luke shaw a lot better than digne then? Who is the current regular left back at city? Are chelsea not short with chilwell being out long term.
Seems to me if a top quality left/wing back became available these clubs would be interested.

Absolutely this could be true.

But love or hate benitez he's done this everywhere he has been which is my point, if it was digne and someone who's not known for falling out with players you might be less inclined to believe it.

Same way if it was a player who had a history of being an arse you'd be less inclined to believe, but Rafael being Rafael and digne being digne I know who I believe

I do believe he's seen his arse over getting called out for the fraud he is and sold digne as a result. Again
Regarding that Digne has not had any fall out with previous managers, we do not know. At least not in public. When you are younger, and are a reserve for PSG and Barcelona, you usually do not make much noise. Digne has probably had about 10 managers during his career, while Benitez has been responsible for over 500 players in his career.

However, it may be Benitez's fault, it may be Digne's, it may be a combination, and it may be nobody's fault. Anyway, he's left us for Aston Villa, so he's got to be pretty desperate.

Just out of curiosity. Is luke shaw a lot better than digne then? Who is the current regular left back at city? Are chelsea not short with chilwell being out long term.
Seems to me if a top quality left/wing back became available these clubs would be interested.
Players at clubs like us are always available to the very top bracket of teams we know that from experience so unless we're now suggesting that nobody at a club outside the top 6 is good enough to play for any of the top 6 I'm not sure that really means anything.

The one where you said Digne was over the hill - i know you don't even believe that mate.

I also know Digne is one of your favorite players! ;)

You're conflicted i can tell!

Nope.

He has played his best football here and we get over the market values for the player.

Result.

Watch now as Gerrard gets a player who'll be injury prone and lose sell on value. One decent season out of him at best.

Players at clubs like us are always available to the very top bracket of teams we know that from experience so unless we're now suggesting that nobody at a club outside the top 6 is good enough to play for any of the top 6 I'm not sure that really means anything.

Thats true.
I just dont think this "they dont need him right now" is correct.
There is a reason imo they didnt come in for him.
He isnt good enough.

He let him go because he was a right A Hole to the younger players coming through, I think Fergie picked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.