Everton January 2022 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure I did.

Manager's get their first season. That's all I've ever claimed. Criticised yes. I never call for their heads...which is why your vaulting exercise was fruitless.

I wasn't sure if you knew what this word is under Benitez. Never said you wanted Koeman fired in his first season (although I didn't check after December so maybe you did) but you spent most of the 6 months criticising tactics, his handling of players, performances, selections etc. and yet do none of that under Benitez even though we have the same issues and even worse form.

Actually found some ironically hilarious posts of yours regarding Koeman during his first 6 months here [joined June 2016]. Quite a few similarities to our current manager yet you back him unequivocally instead. Frankly, the way you defend him just gets more strange by the day.

Where've we heard this one before? A manager with a big repuation that needs to coach some defensive stability?

He needs to be down at FF twice as long as he usually is and earning that king's ransom he gets each season and coach some defensive nous into the back four. Up to now he's been avoiding that and just pulling nine back behind the ball in order to become "defensively solid". I'm sorry. I think Koeman is a decent manager as he proved at S'ton. But I'm not being had off by this feller just because he was a star player at Barcelona. Not one friggin bit of it.

[Nov 2016] https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/ronald-koeman-discussion.89131/post-5004332

Benitez certainly gets it though...

I've read nor heard anything from Koeman since he became manager that reassures me he gets Everton or values the post here.

[Nov 2016] https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/ronald-koeman-discussion.89131/post-5011423

I must have missed Benitez's class?

Koeman = not Everton class.

Simple as that.

[Nov 2016] https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/atmosphere-around-the-club.92701/post-5012322

Benitez is never disruptive to this squad...

Overall: I think it's pretty clear Koeman is, and will continue to be, a disruptive influence. I dont think that's who we are as a club, tbh. I knew Koeman had a run in with Tadic before he arrived, but I had no idea about his back story other than that - his other fall outs at S'ton and his time at Valencia etc.

There's going to have to be tangible onfield success for him to get away with that for his tenure here to work out.

[Nov 2016] https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/ronald-koeman-discussion.89131/post-5012843

2 wins in 12 shocking? Promises good stuff when he gets his own players? That one is new...

Excellent win? Three points is three points, of course. But in the context of 2 wins in 12 games it's shocking.

Tbf, i've always said this season is a gimme for Koeman. Top half finish is adequate. For me though in order to be handed that slack he had to show that he knew what he was doing and getting the foundations in place. I don't see that. I just see a mess and a manager who continually talks down a group of players and promises jam tomorrow when we have his signings in.

Fair enough. If he changes the whole first team in the next two windows and has us playing good and winning football it's job done. But he looks pretty clueless right now. That old saying about a poor workman blaming his tools is spot on in relation to him. Start of season 2017/18 he's under massive pressure to prove himself.

[Dec 2016] https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/ronald-koeman-discussion.89131/post-5114620

A good start under someone elses squad that turned sour? Must not apply to Benitez that one.

First five games of the season and the record start for Koeman: which players achieved that? The ones he received from Martinez/Moyes era.

They still had the ability to get on the ball and find feet...Koeman has now instructed them to forget all that and hoof the ball as far downfield as possible.

Dont blame the poor job on the tradesman's tools; it's the tradesman who is to blame.

[Dec 2016] https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/ronald-koeman-discussion.89131/post-5115451

Ah but didn't Benitez say he was aiming for 8th?

Lets have it right: 7th is adequate. It is NOT an ambition for this club. Any manager who says it should be needs to be educated.

[Dec 2016] https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/ronald-koeman-discussion.89131/post-5132247

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got bored after this but that's just a few snippets from Koeman's first 6 months at Everton. Where's the same criticism aimed at Benitez for the same issues?
I must say this is weak, comparing Koeman with Benitez is a damp squib… very different circumstances.

I wasn't sure if you knew what this word is under Benitez. Never said you wanted Koeman fired in his first season (although I didn't check after December so maybe you did) but you spent most of the 6 months criticising tactics, his handling of players, performances, selections etc. and yet do none of that under Benitez even though we have the same issues and even worse form.
Oh I've criticised him: Strike One on Patterson; playing of Rondon; leaving Dobbin out; league place not good enough.

But you continue to belt away at that straw man....

Let’s get used to the likes of Digne leaving. Richarlison going in the summer, while the rest of the sellable assets go year after (if we stay up this season).
We are a total shambles, we are breaching FFP, while our current wage bill is totally unsustainable.
Moshiri legacy of the stadium might not even come to fruition if we go down

Have you read it? I clearly link the two scenarios for each quote.
All links are tenuous at best. You are trying to apply the same cases to both managers, where their situations are quite different.

Two simple examples are:
Koeman was given money in his first summer.
Benitez has seen his best players injured for half of the season so far.

Oh I've criticised him: Strike One on Patterson; playing of Rondon; leaving Dobbin out; league place not good enough.

But you continue to belt away at that straw man....

God, found even more nonsense from you back then:

The below from the man not arsed we went out of the cup, a man once claiming a manager should only keep his job if he gets into the top 5-7 after 3 seasons.

That's right. A cup should always be the aim each season, why not? On the title question: ULTIMATELY how can winning it again not be our objective, given our history?

Short/medium term I've stated my view:

this season 7th is acceptable. A decent enough start.
next season 7th is not acceptable. we have to improve on any such 7th place finish this season.
third season achieving 5th or a top 4 spot can only be seen as a finish that keeps Koeman in a job

That ^^^ is just about as clear (and fair and even handed) as I can be.

I guess it's next to the Benitez statue you currently polish on a daily basis if he ever gets us to mid table.

Oh sorry, is there a Koeman icon I can worship at? The great God of 7th place?

Is this a game from 2017 or the Hull game at the weekend? Thank you Mr Lukaku-Townsend

All hail Koeman for allowing the game to almost get away from us then stand and watch Lukaku shut it down at last.

Genius.

The below from the man not arsed we went out of the cup, a man once claiming a manager should only keep his job if he gets into the top 5-7 after 3 seasons.

That's right. A cup should always be the aim each season, why not? On the title question: ULTIMATELY how can winning it again not be our objective, given our history?

next season 7th is not acceptable. we have to improve on any such 7th place finish this season.
third season achieving 5th or a top 4 spot can only be seen as a finish that keeps Koeman in a job

I guess it's next to the Benitez statue you currently polish on a daily basis if he ever gets us to mid table.

Is this a game from 2017 or the Hull game at the weekend? Thank you Mr Lukaku-Townsend

All hail Koeman for allowing the game to almost get away from us then stand and watch Lukaku shut it down at last.

Genius.

Genius.

It’s rocky ground to vault someone for having a go at Koeman. He was ultimately right.

It’s also a bit different when you have a team with Stones Barkley Lukaku down the spine and you get given over 100 mill to spend on it. Bringing in Gueye Bolasie Williams for the fees he did to go with those players, it was natural we should have been aiming for Europe.

The context with Benite clicking up from Ancelotti is completely different

1. It’s rocky ground to vault someone for having a go at Koeman. He was ultimately right.

2. It’s also a bit different when you have a team with Stones Barkley Lukaku down the spine and you get given over 100 mill to spend on it. Bringing in Gueye Bolasie Williams for the fees he did to go with those players, it was natural we should have been aiming for Europe.

The context with Benite clicking up from Ancelotti is completely different

1. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/hindsight
2. Richarlison, DCL, Doucoure, Pickford. Both squads had good players.

Status
Not open for further replies.