Transfer Rumour Sean Longstaff

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a pretty abstract way of dismissing someone.

It's an occupational hazard for a midfield player.
I'm not dismissing him. I'm saying him and Allan in the same midfield is going to leave a lot for Doucoure to do as neither have a lot of discipline, they like to hassle and that's where the occupational risk of being dribbled past comes in more.

And if it's Longstaff and Doucoure as a two you basically have a similar issue to what we have now except that Longstaff can maybe cover a bit more ground than Allan.

An over the hill and surplus to requirements player at city who went to Liverpool and rejuvenated himself in different surroundings ?‍♂️

He wasn't over the hill and performed exactly how he did for City as he did for the RS.

He was surplus yes, but was given a CM position at RS than City where he was RB and winger.

Still...in what world does Longstaff compare to Milner? Longstaff isn't struggling to get into a title winning side ffs

Looked at Opta quickly.

This is midfielders with at least 5 PL apps this season, dribbled past by opp per 90.

If we sign Longstaff we'll have 3 of the top 5!!!

1641470962405.png

I'm not dismissing him. I'm saying him and Allan in the same midfield is going to leave a lot for Doucoure to do as neither have a lot of discipline, they like to hassle and that's where the occupational risk of being dribbled past comes in more.

And if it's Longstaff and Doucoure as a two you basically have a similar issue to what we have now except that Longstaff can maybe cover a bit more ground than Allan.
You're looking at it way too statistically: look for blend instead. That can overcome a lot. The manager - if he is going for him - maybe sees a system where they all play well together.

He wasn't over the hill and performed exactly how he did for City as he did for the RS.

He was surplus yes, but was given a CM position at RS than City where he was RB and winger.

Still...in what world does Longstaff compare to Milner? Longstaff isn't struggling to get into a title winning side ffs
Who’s comparing the players ability though ? As stated, I was pointing out that a change in circumstances can benefit a player … Milner, Barry…. Don’t matter who ….

Another Rondon. A usless plodder that we'll never get off the wage bill. If players like this are the future of Everton Football Club then the future is grim........

Don’t be so stupid … who’s comparing the players ability ? It’s merely pointing out how a change in circumstances and surroundings can benefit a player

But again, you're comparing a player who was great at previous teams to someone who was great in one game.

A change if circumstances isn't going to make him a great player. No more than a change of scenery was going to make Rondon a baller.

Right now, playing at Newcastle Longstaff might not be the player we need.

But, most on here threw their toys out of the oram when we signed Gareth Barry… too old, too slow etc etc.

If Sean Longstaff who most perceive as underwhelming can step up the way his Dad did as an ice hockey player, we might fall lucky again as we did with Barry.

He has an excellent relationship with Benitez and that would probably help.
The difference was Andy, Gareth Barry had already proved, over many seasons, that he was a very good footballer and been a regular starter at top clubs. Sean Longstaff, on the other hand, is, well, Sean Longstaff.

Normally I would be dead against this sort of signing because we aren't buying a great player.

However if you say to me longstaff replaces one of gbamin or Delph then that is much better business. Better to have a player who is able to play rather than two who clearly can't.

Btw what has happened with Delph ? Best midfielder for 2 games and hasn't played since?

The club has the nack of prolonging the careers of passed it players on decent salaries/contracts

As to Longstaff says alot about Benitez priorities in terms of qualities

Benitez should have been booted before the window. Some poor sucker will be left with square pegs and round holes

But again, you're comparing a player who was great at previous teams to someone who was great in one game.

A change if circumstances isn't going to make him a great player. No more than a change of scenery was going to make Rondon a baller.
I’ve not mentioned the ability of either player …

Status
Not open for further replies.