Match Thread Everton v Brighton - Preview, Match Report and MotM poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pathetic isn't it. Under no pressure at all and just plays a ball to no one.....plus just admire Holgates half arsed attempt to block the shot where he jogs out and turns his back because he doesn't want his pretty face to get hit.

Between Keane and Holgate you won't find 2 worse centre halves. Godfrey running them close this season but he's shown enough for me over the course of his signing to persevere with him and he'll come good.

Keane is as soft as a snowflake and Holgate has the concentration levels of a child at nursery.
I was watching Duffy, who has no sexy skills, but just does the most basic skills well. I would swap him for Keane in a heartbeat. But I must also defend our defence yesterday, the way they were set up by BFG was utterly bewildering!
I have never been in the Benitez out camp, mainly due to the fact that I feel sacking a manager every half season eventually makes us a poison chalice (a la Watford). but i can see nothing to give me any hope that giving him more time will i prove things? Everybody could see that our two man midfield was being overrun, except BFG? Everybody can see that Dacourre is ineffective in a two man mid, except BFG. Everybody could see that Playing five at the back against the attacking power-house that is BHA was entirely unnecessary, except BFG.

If he was trying to apply a recognisable style of play and was being let down by poor players, I would still be prepared to cut him some slack, but he isnt! He flukes onto a workable solution, due to injuries or suspensions one week, then reverts back to the set up that loses matches as son as the injured or suspended players come back?

I have never been so depressed about following this club in 52 years.

I am sickened by the complete lack of passion from these vastly overpaid Muppets.

I grew up listening to Peter Farrell who used to get the bus to Goodison, hadn't even got a car never mind a Bentley.
He bled and breathed Everton and Shamrock Rovers. Labone, Ball, Reid and so many other heroes would die for this club. I actually despise the majority of those who have the temerity to wear the RBJ .
Totally agree with you mate
Got home from the game later last night and my lad saw Holgate telling the street end to F Off.
Words fail me on the attitude of the players and manager. He shouldn’t wear the shirt again TBF and sold/sacked

Match of the day summed it up ‘we don’t know what we’re doing’

For me that comes from the manager, you can argue that these players just aren’t good enough, if that’s the case then we need to play to our strengths which obviously isn’t the way we set up yesterday. Then to ignore the fact we’re getting demolished in midfield what does this great manager do; he continues with the same tactic and doesn’t change anything and we continue to get run raggid. We get back into the game and what does he do, nothing. We go 3-1 down and he brings in Rondon ffs. This to me is on the manager and his coaching staff but mainly R.a.f.a.

The problem is I don’t think he’s going to get sacked, I’m struggling to see who we are going to beat using this system and if we continue we will be going down this season.

My first year as a season ticket holder was 1994 - which was the Mike Walker campaign which Joe Royle took over in the November - and I genuinely haven't felt that depressed about the state of our club, the pointlessness of the manager since then. Even when it was bad under Smith at least you felt he was trying, whereas Benitez just seems to do things purely to P**s everyone off. Utterly baffling how we are in this situation.
A question for you if I may @Jimmyjoe, and I know this will not be popular, but would you bring Big Joe out of retirement to manage our club once again? On a purely temporary basis until we find a proper manager, or to be a guiding and steadying hand for a less experienced manager.
I recall at the start of the season that with the crowds returning to grounds that last seasons away game victories would not be repeated, but would be offset by winning far more of our home games. Well that's going well.
I have been a match going attendee since 1954 and a season ticket holder since 1962 and, the Walker era aside, I have never seen such a bunch of frightened rabbits looking into headlamps as our current crop of players since that time. Manny of the 'terrible' players are internationals, but seem completely devoid of confidence . They all appear to be playing each game knowing the formation and tactics will not work and does not suit their style of play, but, as professionals, have to go out and do them anyway.
Enough is more than enough for me, and with this fella in charge gaining more and more control of all things football, things will only get worse.
Everton is shambolic. We have Mosh, BPB and DBB in the boardroom, and now this joker to underline our standing as the number one club to be run by those with a more vested interest in their standings, than those of the club.
I hate to type this, but the 'r' word seems inevitable. If not this season, then certainly next unless radical changes, not tinkered ones, are made.
Dramatic, but, Everton Football Club .......1878-???? R.I.P.

It's properly exhausting to have to keep telling people that we will still be rubbish regardless of what shape we play, or whoever the manager is.

I couldn't care less about Benitez personally, he's not a great coach and his style of play is pretty dismal to watch, but in reality, he's a fraction of our problem compared to the playing staff.

Say we put Andre Gomes in a 3 man midfield - we'd only concede from one of the 50 direct free kicks he gives away each week. And that's literally our only other option. Have you ever seen a team so badly assembled as this?
I've told you a billion times about over exaggeration lollol

Seriously still defending him? You want people to applaud his contribution?
I didn’t expect anyone to applaud after that performanc, I was explaining why I thought Rondon left the pitch immediately after the game,in fact only Gordon and Grey could hold their heads up after the game and to a degree Pickford, who was screaming his head off at his defenders throughout the game for the stupid mistakes his team mates made without any pressure on them, mistakes that cost us two of the Brighton goals.

I've now been reduced to checking out the fixture list for the upcoming relegation six-pointer games. This is turning into a horror show and I don't think we'll survive the final slash and cut based on yesterday's display. Reminds me of Jack Nicholson in The Shining - 'Here's......Rafael'

Status
Not open for further replies.