2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
….so is Benitez at all to blame for yesterdays defeat?

Nobody would doubt that a degree of blame lies with the manager. He picks 11 players to go onto the pitch, however he doesnt tell them to miscontrol the ball, misplace a pass and not test the goalkeeper. Recently he has appeared less willing to make changes, as seen yesterday (which was the wrong decision) and is obviously due to the squad being so thin with injuries and his lack of trust for the more inexperienced players. This has been something about him for years so isn't to be a surprise now.
Compare this to the start of the season he seemed to make the right subs at times which saw us get some good results in the second half of games.

Coleman and Godfrey are no big misses and Digne has been off the boil for over 12 months now.

Take two/three out of DCL, Doucoure & Richarlison & Mina and we struggle massively and would have done under Ancelotti.

Im certain that 1 in 7 run was when Doucoure was out.
Doucoure's back now though, yeah, so we should win a bunch of our next few fixtures? Right?

Nobody would doubt that a degree of blame lies with the manager. He picks 11 players to go onto the pitch, however he doesnt tell them to miscontrol the ball, misplace a pass and not test the goalkeeper. Recently he has appeared less willing to make changes, as seen yesterday (which was the wrong decision) and is obviously due to the squad being so thin with injuries and his lack of trust for the more inexperienced players. This has been something about him for years so isn't to be a surprise now.
Compare this to the start of the season he seemed to make the right subs at times which saw us get some good results in the second half of games.
No, but he works on that stuff with them on the training pitch 5 times a week, or at least he should be.

Just reminding you that that run was 1 in 7, this is 1 in 10 and counting. That run wasn't good enough, people rightly questioned the manager, this run is worse and may get really bad. Not questioning the manager at a time like this is mind-blowingly negligent.
Questioning and demanding the manager sacked are 2 different things.

Last season under Carlo we also went 3 wins in the last 13 games - also quite poor.

No, but he works on that stuff with them on the training pitch 5 times a week, or at least he should be.
These are all established premier league footballers with lots of international caps between them, some of which have won major tournaments. You cannot blame this managers coaching ability on them being unable to get the basics right now especially as they've failed for the past 6 managers.

Doucoure's back now though, yeah, so we should win a bunch of our next few fixtures? Right?

Well Watford and Wolves with Richarlison and Doucoure on the pitch I would be more confident but its disingenuous to be looking at Liverpool & Arsenal away coming up and claiming anything but 3 points shows he ain't good enough when we haven't won a derby at Goodison since 2010 and our record at the Emirates is shocking.

But if he does get the sack soon at least the one positive will be normally rational posters will return to being somewhat understanding of the problems the manager currently faces rather than being rabid dogs unwilling to listen to common sense or rational points.

I mean you would literally think Benitez has shagged half of the posters on here's wives and spat in their kids faces its mental.

But of the first 11, there were 2 injuries.....
Gray just back? He didnt even miss a game.
Gray and Doucoure were not fit yesterday and were rushed back as we have many players out.
DCL, Richarlison, Mina all walk in to the team, and I'm sure with more options on the bench he would have made more substitutions.

…he has a counter attacking team model yet plays a ponderous striker who largely nullifies the way he wants to play. Yesterday it meant the opposition were able to sit in and we were incapable of breaking them down, a couple of stunning crosses went across the 6 yard box with nobody near them.

i actually thought we were superior to Brentford but lost because of the way we played. I was very surprised at Benitez, I actually thought he was a better coach than that.

He takes a share of the blame of course - but its like giving a plumber rusted pipes and blaming him completely when said pipe breaks down within weeks.

Look at Conte at Spurs they dont look any better than they did under Mourinho and Nuno.

A worker is only as good as his tools.

….we were very poorly set-up but it was even worst when he failed to change things. I prefer to talk about players than the manager, but I felt yesterday that Benitez lost us 3 points.

its very telling that a poster who is ambivalent to our team being relegated is so supportive of Benitez.

Questioning and demanding the manager sacked are 2 different things.

Last season under Carlo we also went 3 wins in the last 13 games - also quite poor.
It's not 1 win in 10 though. It was actually 4 wins in last 13 anyway. And 6 wins in last 15.

And that wasn't good enough then. So why would 1 in 10 be good enough now? Especially when that is likely to extend.

Gray and Doucoure were not fit yesterday and were rushed back as we have many players out.
DCL, Richarlison, Mina all walk in to the team, and I'm sure with more options on the bench he would have made more substitutions.
How do you know they weren't fit? Just because they have been injured, doesn't mean they aren't fit.

It's not 1 win in 10 though. It was actually 4 wins in last 13 anyway. And 6 wins in last 15.

And that wasn't good enough then. So why would 1 in 10 be good enough now? Especially when that is likely to extend.
It was 3 in 13. Which indeed you're right is not 1 in 10. But still poor. If we by some miracle win 1 or 2 of our next 3 then those records are not very far off at all.

Edit: no sorry you're right I was including a cup game at City

Status
Not open for further replies.