2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At our club there is. He signed 4 over 30s.

Yeah, great mate.

What are you supposed to do with £1.5m.

Lonergan and Begovic are backup goalkeepers. Rondon has gone horrendously and Townsend showing passion and fight unlike the rest.

Stats are stats and you can manipulate them anyway you want. I've literally listed a load of players who are under 30, when he had a budget, instead you've focussed on free agents.

Most aren't getting paid 7m a year though. I imagine, most coaches on the continent would be on maybe half of that at most.

For example, Graham Potter (just as an example, not who im advocating for) is reported to be on about £1m a year. Even if we had to pay compo for him, and give him a bump in his pay, it still wouldnt get to £7m.

To say we could only get benitez due to ffp, is simply not true.

Another example from France. Gaultier, having just won the league with lille Is reportedly on £3m a year at nice. He literally won the title last season and is on £3m. They reportedly paid £3.3m to lille as compensation.
Yes, we are getting mugged right royally.

Yeah, great mate.

Lonergan and Begovic are backup goalkeepers. Rondon has gone horrendously and Townsend showing passion and fight unlike the rest.

Stats are stats and you can manipulate them anyway you want. I've literally listed a load of players who are under 30, when he had a budget, instead you've focussed on free agents.
I'm not saying I agree he prioritises older players (but at our club, regardless of circumstances that's what's happened) I generally don't think his hit rate on transfers has been great through his career, all managers will have good ones and bad ones though. But for all the ones you pick out under 30, there's a tonne that aren't as well.

2 of the 5 look to be decent, (and I had little enthusiasm for townsend). 2 of them have been abysmal (rondon and begovic who looks like he has grease on his gloves) and one who we will never see play a game for us.

He knew we had a finished Coleman as first choice RB and captain
He knew we had Davies as back up
He knew we had no wingers that resemble footballers
He knew we had no back up for DCL
He knew he had no money to spend
He knew these players are gutless
He knew the fans would be against him
He knew he had to hit the ground running to get the fans onboard
He knew the owner and DoF were useless as we he wouldn't be inheriting all of the above

He knew what he was walking into and what he had to work with and he was happy to put pen to paper on his sweet multi million pound a year contract that got him 'home'

You’re re-writing history.

The threads on here season after season calling for Moyes to be sacked, the Blue Union fiasco, Kenwright and Elstone in or out.

The fanbase has rarely been “United”, people just whinge less when things are going well.
Wasn't the Blue Union thing mostly about Kenwright being a poor owner? Don't recall it being about the performances on the pitch.

I'm not saying I agree he prioritises older players (but at our club, regardless of circumstances that's what's happened) I generally don't think his hit rate on transfers has been great through his career, all managers will have good ones and bad ones though. But for all the ones you pick out under 30, there's a tonne that aren't as well.

2 of the 5 look to be decent, (and I had little enthusiasm for townsend). 2 of them have been abysmal (rondon and begovic who looks like he has grease on his gloves) and one who we will never see play a game for us.

Not every signing is going to do well.

The point I was highlighting is that he doesn't prefer to sign more experienced players, infact he rarely signs anyone over 30... it just goes to show how desperate our situation is, that we had to sign Rondon and Begovic to begin with.

I'd argue, why even include Lonergan in the stat? What's the point? Would you hold it against Pep for signing Richard Wright and Carson?

He could be hit and miss, but name me an Everton manager who's been a hit since the first Martinez season?

Yeah, great mate.

The facts are the facts. He has signed older players here when we already had a squad in need of pace and energy.

Rondon made no sense. Fans knew he wasn't good enough to perform so why was the manager allowed to sign him, and on a 2 year deal!

I don't think he will overhaul the squad. I don't think he will be here long enough to do it anyway.

He should never have been appointed in the first place simply on account of him being a poor fit for the club. Levy made a huge mistake selecting Nuno and took decisive action once he realized that error. We need to do the same and not drag this out the way United did with Solskjaer.

The facts are the facts. He has signed older players here when we already had a squad in need of pace and energy.

Rondon made no sense. Fans knew he wasn't good enough to perform so why was the manager allowed to sign him, and on a 2 year deal!

I don't think he will overhaul the squad. I don't think he will be here long enough to do it anyway.

I will continue to ask you then, who was he meant to bring in on free transfers who are going to add pace and energy?

Honestly, I've no clue, but you seem to be holding it against him, so I guess you know? I'm not being arsey either, just curious.

He's had a shoestring, and signed a backup striker, who we shouldn't of had to sign in the first place (we had King who was more than acceptable) and a backup goalkeeper.
Every manager brings in a favourite. Martinez signed Kone, Robles and McCarthy. Koeman brought in Martina and Stekelenburg. Silva signed Richarlison. Ancelotti brought in James and Allan. It's a common thing. He thought Rondon could do a job, he got it wrong.

You’re re-writing history.

The threads on here season after season calling for Moyes to be sacked, the Blue Union fiasco, Kenwright and Elstone in or out.

The fanbase has rarely been “United”, people just whinge less when things are going well.
Early on in the Moyes tenure we were all behind him. He didn't stand for wasters, set up some solid foundations in the academy opened up new facilities for us.

Sold who he had to for good money normally, bought mostly well with no money. Gave us some pride back.

He stayed too long and left on bad terms , but that was the last time we felt like a serious club.

Even Brown shoes first season the red flags were there. He was a great salesman.

I will continue to ask you then, who was he meant to bring in on free transfers who are going to add pace and energy?

Honestly, I've no clue, but you seem to be holding it against him, so I guess you know? I'm not being arsey either, just curious.

He's had a shoestring, and signed a backup striker, who we shouldn't of had to sign in the first place (we had King who was more than acceptable) and a backup goalkeeper.
Every manager brings in a favourite. Martinez signed Kone, Robles and McCarthy. Koeman brought in Martina and Stekelenburg. Silva signed Richarlison. Ancelotti brought in James and Allan. It's a common thing. He thought Rondon could do a job, he got it wrong.

I would rather no forward had been signed at all and he had went with young players. Adding more poor players to a poor squad is just silly. Keeping King would have been the logical decision, but there appears to be no room for logic in our recruitment. I don't care about Lonergan, he will never play. I do care about the fact Townsend, Begovic and Rondon were all coming to the end of their careers. It's unsustainable to sign that many older players when the squad already needs overhauled.

And as for managers bringing in favourites, this should not be happenning. What is the point of the DOF?

It is ludicrous to suggest Potter would be a candidate to replace Rafael in a week or so. He has higher ambitions than coming on board a leaking ship. The probability is that the replacement would be another controversial appointment from a lower level or a second chance for failures like Lampard or another recently sacked manager. Take your pick. If it could fixed that the pitch is too frozen to play the RS that would give some time to act.
I think Rafael will stay anyway.

I would rather no forward had been signed at all and he had went with young players. Adding more poor players to a poor squad is just silly. Keeping King would have been the logical decision, but there appears to be no room for logic in our recruitment.

And as for managers bringing in favourites, this should not be happenning. What is the point of the DOF?

The young players? When we signed Rondon, one of them was injured, in Simms.

Aside from the cameos of Dobbin at United, have you ever seen them actually play? Is it right to throw them in the deep end and expect them to hold the line and carry the weight of expectation? I'm all for giving youngers a chance, they can't keep playing the same old dross, but if they're not ready, they're not ready.

What's the point in bringing in Dobbin in to get no service, anyway?

Managers bring in their favourites at every club, it's not exclusive to Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.