Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 105 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,251 92.3%

• Total voters
I agree and disagree. We've spent £25m on Godfrey, who is to some extent a squad player and a youth prospect, but I do feel that was a sensible fee.

He has shown to have good potential and has supported the first XI. Yet, we spent a a fairly similar price on Iwobi - £28m which could potentially go to £35m.

Would you claim that fee was sensible? Personally, I wouldn't. I have no issue with the club spending the money if it's worth it, but more often than not it hasn't.

Still, it would be much better if we could buy low and still get the talent, like Moyes often did, but that's less likely to happen and requires a specific skill set.

For me, I think we should have always been looking at focusing on a small number of key acquisitions that develop the first XI rather than squad players.
Godfrey is a bad example really I suppose as it sounds like I am having a pop at him and I really am not. But looking at it now we have spent 25M on a utility player who we don't really know what to do with. I want us to be getting Godfrey's when they are at York City rather than Norwich, that's a much more sustainable way to do things.

Iwobi is a shocking piece of business. He is another one who you can sort of see the thought process behind signing him but he was never a nailed on starter for Arsenal so why pay that much for him? He is a punt player, the sort who you can take on loan or even on a free to see what you can get from him but 25-35M for a fairly unproven player is poor. Tosun is another, 25M odd on a player who was not even guaranteed to be a starter for us. Walcott would have been fine if he was a Townsend type deal etc.

There never seems to be a plan. Obviously it's easy on paper but it really shouldn't be as hard and messy as the club has made it.

Godfrey is a bad example really I suppose as it sounds like I am having a pop at him and I really am not. But looking at it now we have spent 25M on a utility player who we don't really know what to do with. I want us to be getting Godfrey's when they are at York City rather than Norwich, that's a much more sustainable way to do things.

Iwobi is a shocking piece of business. He is another one who you can sort of see the thought process behind signing him but he was never a nailed on starter for Arsenal so why pay that much for him? He is a punt player, the sort who you can take on loan or even on a free to see what you can get from him but 25-35M for a fairly unproven player is poor. Tosun is another, 25M odd on a player who was not even guaranteed to be a starter for us. Walcott would have been fine if he was a Townsend type deal etc.

There never seems to be a plan. Obviously it's easy on paper but it really shouldn't be as hard and messy as the club has made it.
Tosuns fee was high due to him just finishing top goalscorer in the group stage of the Champions League. Agree on Godfrey, I like him but we need to be getting those guys when they are at York (like you say) I do feel we payed a little too much for him tbh. There are loads of good young players down in the championship in particular, I would hope we have scouts watching games each weekend as there are deals for a club like us to make. Let's make some sensible signings for a while and forget the 'flavour of the month' types or ageing high wage earners with no resale value that strangle us.

Its daft though.

"We want a new owner" "Why has it took years to get a new owner?" "Lets spend money we don't have!"

to

"We want a different new owner" "It should have took longer to get a new owner" "Lets spend money on better!"

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

We get what we deserve. Everything wrong with the club right now is on Moshiri. Let's just hope he learns from his mistakes.
it's obvious to me that the reason it took so long was cos Kenwright was looking for a very particular person. One who would allow him to maximise his share options and let him stick around.

it's obvious to me that the reason it took so long was cos Kenwright was looking for a very particular person. One who would allow him to maximise his share options and let him stick around.

Remember he turned down QIA which are essentially PSG's owners because he knew they would have turfed him oot.

A stain on this club that man is.

Everton do transfer business like I do food shopping. I have a list but come back having spent loads and I have nothing for dinner

Fair enough, each to their own.

Personally I think people with this line of thinking are cranks but I suppose we will never know for sure one way or the other.
Cranks? the facts are he kept hold of us for twenty years putting in no money, and the reason given was he was looking for the right owner. The right owner subsequently turned out to be an offshore accountant living in Monaco who manifestly knows not the first thing about football. Now, you can say it's easy to say that now, how was Bill to know he was hopeless. And my point is, it's obvious. now and was obvious then He only needs to open his mouth to reveal his naivety. to give a club with our very particular requirements to such a character was nuts, and completely unjustifiable unless of course you stood to make tens of millions in the process.

Moshiri has mismanaged this club so badly during his time here. I don't doubt his commitment considering what he's spent but frankly he's done nothing but waste his time and money. Five new managers (plus two temps) under his watch along two "directors of football" that I wouldn't trust to keep a rabbit going with lettuce. At best he needs to take a massive step back and have a long hard look at the people who advise him and then fire them because they've let him down repeatedly. If he's not taking advice from anyone then he needs to wake the hell up and find people who actually know what they're doing step back and bloody well listen to them because its painfully clear that when it comes to the football side of things he is absolutely clueless.

I think it took so long because no one wanted to buy the club.

The mistake Moshiri made was not going for an older experienced manager first.

Moshiri has mismanaged this club so badly during his time here. I don't doubt his commitment considering what he's spent but frankly he's done nothing but waste his time and money. Five new managers (plus two temps) under his watch along two "directors of football" that I wouldn't trust to keep a rabbit going with lettuce. At best he needs to take a massive step back and have a long hard look at the people who advise him and then fire them because they've let him down repeatedly. If he's not taking advice from anyone then he needs to wake the hell up and find people who actually know what they're doing step back and bloody well listen to them because its painfully clear that when it comes to the football side of things he is absolutely clueless.
Actually taking a step back is the thing he is least likely to do.

Stadium? Yes, he gets a (provisional) tick for that
But in the long run all he may have done is 'Invested' - loaned, guaranteed loans... which still have to be replayed and is still 'debt', put cash in with a view to taking more higher valued shares later.

e. g. 35,000 shares @ £3,000, becomes say 100,000 @ £12 or 15,000.

*What did 27% of W Ham go for recently?

And if, heaven forbid, he pulls the plug...or worse somebody
else forces him to sell.
All this cash that people think he 'put in' or 'Invested' or even more ridiculously think he 'Gave it to the Club'
Won't be debt in the name of F Moshiri but, all of a sudden, by the miracle of accountancy jiggery - pokery, debt on EFCs books.
Because Moshiri mightn't know diddly about actual Footie, but you don't get to run Usmanov's financial affairs AND make £2B doing it, by having half a billion plus worth of debt bite you in the bum

Stadium? Yes, he gets a (provisional) tick for that
But in the long run all he may have done is 'Invested' - loaned, guaranteed loans... which still have to be replayed and is still 'debt', put cash in with a view to taking more higher valued shares later.

e. g. 35,000 shares @ £3,000, becomes say 100,000 @ £12 or 15,000.

*What did 27% of W Ham go for recently?

And if, heaven forbid, he pulls the plug...or worse somebody
else forces him to sell.
All this cash that people think he gave or 'put in' or 'Invested' or even more ridiculously think he 'Gave it to the Club'
Won't be debt in the name of F Moshiri but, all of a sudden, by the miracle of accountancy jiggery - pokery, debt on EFCs books.
Because Moshiri mightn't know diddly about actual Footie, but you don't get to run Usmanov's financial affairs AND make £2B doing it, by having half a billion plus worth of debt bite you in the bum
Agree with a lot of what you say but for a man who had dealt with the finances of usmanov to get us in a position where we basically cannot see spend a penny for the next couple of transfer windows unless we sell big is gross mismanagement

Q
Agree with a lot of what you say but for a man who had dealt with the finances of usmanov to get us in a position where we basically cannot see spend a penny for the next couple of transfer windows unless we sell big is gross mismanagement

Football as a business and is literally a whole different ball game than regular 'business' business.

It been a cliche for many decades about the local business man who ran his own business to hard rules, which he seemed to forget...when it suited him with his football hat on.
You can't do that AND be an absentee owner...and maybe have dummies and or yes persons as appointed surrogates.

It's a worry and no mistake.

Been doing abit of reading on Kia Joorabchian, who 100% has Moshiri's ear after a few Athletic articles.

Just to point out David Luiz signed for Arsenal the same day we signed Iwobi from Arsenal!

'Joorabchian spent last summer urging Stan Kroenke to release finances to improve the squad. He may merely have been speaking as a supporter, but as someone who has recently brokered transfers with the club, there’s a good chance he will also benefit from any uptick in Arsenal’s transfer business.'

Is an interesting passage! Noting Arsenal also signed Cedric Soares in January (Joorabchian's client also).

'But while Luiz has become the great unifier of Premier League supporters in need of a little light relief, there is something a little more serious at play here. According to a recent report in The Athletic, the defender’s 12-month Arsenal contract will cost the club £24m.

An £8m transfer bargain loses its shine when the wages and intermediaries’ fees total £16m. Remember to look underneath the pasta, to borrow Alex Ferguson’s famous phrase.'

So Arsenal had to fork out about £24m on Luiz on the 8th August 2019, the same day we paid Arsenal about £28million for Alex Iwobi.

Smells very fishy that! Joorabchian touts Luiz to Arsenal, Arsenal can't afford him, Joorabchian recomends Iwobi to Moshiri and tells him he's availible, we sign Iwobi, Arsenal sign Joorabchian's client Luiz, Joorachian gets a huge fee!

Always had reservations on why we paid so much for Iwobi, especially with Moshiri's past links to Arsenal, but surely that explains it!

Just thought i'd bump this from the Alex Iwobi thread as it involves Moshiri too. Don't think there is a Kia Joorabchian thread anywere