2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But he spent a lot of money, at Bournemouth a lot of it on dross. And still couldn’t get them to defend after 5 years. He left for Burnley in between and failed and went back.
So 4 promotions means absolutely nothing? Even with poor signings he obviously has some good qualities? He is still a very young manager relatively too.

Again not suggesting we get him or anything like that, far from it, but it just riles me when people look down their noses at managers who got tiny clubs relegated from a division they realistically never dreamed of being in anyway. I do see why some managers jump ship at the earliest possible sign of club progression so they dont get punished career wise for overachieving in the first place. Howe's biggest mistake (well except Ibe...) was staying at Bournemouth for too long as he went from brilliant young manager who took Bournemouth up the divisions and kept them up there for five or so years to rubbish Eddie Howe who couldn't even make Bournemouth defend and got relegated.

the divisiveness is the only reason I wouldn't have appointed him, as a manager he's adequate and the start is adequate but what's the point if everyone is coming to blows?
Pretty much nails it really.

A crazy appointment. One where in a fantasy world (Moshiri's...) you can kind of see the reasoning behind it but in the real world is fraught with all kinds of messiness.

The atmosphere for this derby coming up is going to be ridiculous one way or another. If we win he probably becomes a hero (for a week or two anyway) but if he loses he is all kinds of trouble.

Two things I will say about Benitez, he has got balls, and I do not envy him in the slightest.

Who cares about style of play. Hughton finished in a similar position to Potter when he was there.

Brighton also spend on average 60 mil per season.
Who cares about the style of play???! Do a poll on here and you’d find pretty much everyone. I’ve never understood the “it’s a results business - who cares how they play” point of view and definitely not from a fan. Fair enough for a one off match but not week in week out season after season. It’s the kind of thing managers like Allardyce, Pullis, Hughton and pundits like Robbie Savage that don’t pay good money and give up their weekends to follow teams come out with.

Chris Hughton was playing eye bleeding football and telling the fans it was the only way little Brighton could play to have a chance of staying in the division. A shitebag of a manager and there are many more like him - don’t think you would find a single Brighton fan, given the choice, that would take Houghton over Potter.

Pretty much nails it really.

A crazy appointment. One where in a fantasy world (Moshiri's...) you can kind of see the reasoning behind it but in the real world is fraught with all kinds of messiness.

The atmosphere for this derby coming up is going to be ridiculous one way or another. If we win he probably becomes a hero (for a week or two anyway) but if he loses he is all kinds of trouble.

Two things I will say about Benitez, he has got balls, and I do not envy him in the slightest.

…problem is, if we lose he’ll also be a bigger hero to that lot.

That's your choice. Most will get behind him though.
To chase him out of the ground on Sunday after Kane remembers he's a striker and slots 4 past us.

Zat vs FB92. CLASH OF THE TITANS.

This Benitez rumble is gonna need a very big Morrissons car park. Preferably with an overflow parking space.

I'll be honest, whenever I come into this thread the debate hasn't shifted at all. Could be page 1, could be page 771.

Trench warfare this. At least we'll all be home by Christmas when he gets the sack.

Tranmere are traditionally a League 1-2 club like Bournemouth are. Similar catchment area, similar sized club.

They are only in the position they are because of Howe!

Again you are another one, his transfer record is terrible? Yeah for one or two seasons when the pressure was cranked on for tiny Bournemouth to be more competitive in a league they never dreamed of being in. What about his transfers as he went up FOUR divisions? Do they not count?

He is a good manager, he does not really deserve to be treated as a joke.

I was counting his entire reign there. His transfer record is abysmal.

I was counting his entire reign there. His transfer record is abysmal.
I mean, benitez has plenty of bad signings as well. Every manager does. You will now point 8/9/10 players that he signed that are amazing, well he has managed long enough as some of the best clubs with loads of money, it's not a surprise he gets some right.

well Newcastle have all the money in the world, who did they get, remind me
But they weren't a team 10th in the premier league with a squad of players good enough for top half. It's not comparable.

Also, having rich owners, doesn't just give you lots of money. They may have 200ml to spend, but when clubs know you have money, players cost like 40m. And they need about 9 first team players other than wilson and asm. And thats without being relegated before summer with their current squad as the January window is notoriously bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.