2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether your pro or anti-Benitez, try and not let that be your main focus at the club right now.

The board hired Benitez because he could act as an all too convenient lightning rod for criticism and frustration.

Even the biggest Benitez supporters know he is not a long term solution for this club. Please, please focus all your anger on the continuing problem of how poorly this club is ran from the top down, regardless of who the manager is.

How do lewin and Doucoure fix those defensive issues? Mina isn't going to do it on hiw own.

Putting this crap run solely down to a few injuries is awfully reductionist.

That 1 in 7 run is going to get longer with these fixtures and he won't survive it.
But you have named 3 players that are a lot better than the players we have now in the team. So you would imagine they would benefit us no?

We would have less defensive issues with a better midfield as the ball would stay away from our defence.

We would be able to push down the pitch and cause issues with both a midfield and a better attack than we had recently.

Putting it simplistic.

Also, I just took a look at last year's Wolves fixture and this team got a 2-1 win there under Carlo

1636039938800.png

No Dom, No Allan, No actual Left winger, No Captain Coleman.

No excuses needed for Carlo

Benitez fans, you can't tell me that without Dom, Mina, and Doucoure that Watford are a side that should be good enough to beat us 5-2.

All this crying about injuries doesn't excuse getting hammered by a newly promoted side and a hat trick being scored against us by a fella we released last summer.

That side with Richarlison up top should have been good enough to beat Wolves too.
and yet we beat Brighton comfortably two nil on their own patch. They are absolutely flying this year. But you were still moaning then, you will moan win lose or draw. So, I'm not sure your analysis should be taken at face value. Why not try getting behind the team, and hoping we win the next few, than your relentless negativity?

I'll admit as an American Toffee maybe my rationale is slightly different. More broadly I dont currently care much who the manager is. The larger problems are that the club's structure of decision making and their transfer business not being profitable and leading to eventual improved squads. Personally that is the main culprit of their mess.

We aren't gong to get relegated. A finish between 8 to 13 has almost zero relevance to my larger concerns or belief in the club. I admit that might be more of a US sentiment, where its acceptable to have down years at a trade off in relation to development and maturation. But finishing 7th means little if the likes of our best players leave the next window anyway. And if thats a result that was unlikely or based on players playing over their head it doesn't mean much. Regardless of where we finish we know the talent on this team currently and longterm arent close to a european conversation.

Regardless that looms as the goal, and hastily we have tried to achieve it. Year after year we make present focused decisions in the transfer market to simply stagnate in the same window of results. All with a hogwash of three managers toys that negate a larger club vision.

Rafael might not be the guy, but he shouldn't be as significant as he is. The core problem is Moshiri overstepping a DoF at every turn, or not hiring one he trusts for favoring immediate, big swing problem solving. That appears in signings that aren't appreciating, that wont get better in 3 years time and barely sustain similar league finishes.

My estimation is that this team should stop talking about Europe entirely, stop mentioning the rich 6. You want to consistently enter that conversation sign with upside and appreciation under a club model that extends past the manager and stop acting as if the sticker price or a players CV of prior clubs means anything. 2-3rds of the league have a better process of talent evaluation for their available resources. Those are your competitors and they will begin to close the gap. Time to wise up, plain and simple.
Some good points mate and is the reality of the situation in my opinion too.

Also, I just took a look at last year's Wolves fixture and this team got a 2-1 win there under Carlo

View attachment 144913

No Dom, No Allan, No actual Left winger, No Captain Coleman.

No excuses needed for Carlo
I've pointed that out several times. Injuries last season aren't recognised and it was just that carlo was crap and stuck 10 men behind the ball.

and yet we beat Brighton comfortably two nil on their own patch. They are absolutely flying this year. But you were still moaning then, you will moan win lose or draw. So, I'm not sure your analysis should be taken at face value. Why not try getting behind the team, and hoping we win the next few, than your relentless negativity?

Did I? I'm fairly sure I begrudgingly gave him credit for a good start.

As for the negativity there's nothing to be positive about with this football club right now.

We're heading to a relegation fight with a kopite manager, we've won 1 in 7, already knocked out of the league cup, under the cosh with FFP after blowing through half a billion on crap, there's no strategy or direction at the club beyond letting Benitez do as much damage as he can before he forces the board's hand into sacking him.

What is there to be positive about? Especially with a manager who looks hopeless and hasn't won a match for ages.

Did I? I'm fairly sure I begrudgingly gave him credit for a good start.

As for the negativity there's nothing to be positive about with this football club right now.

We're heading to a relegation fight with a kopite manager, we've won 1 in 7, already knocked out of the league cup, under the cosh with FFP after blowing through half a billion on crap, there's no strategy or direction at the club beyond letting Benitez do as much damage as he can before he forces the board's hand into sacking him.

What is there to be positive about? Especially with a manager who looks hopeless and hasn't won a match for ages.
I'm fairly sure you didn't. I realise that people campaigning for his dismissal will have a field day over the next couple of weeks, a host of injuries to our best players, unfit replacements, and starting to play the top teams. It is what it is. Nobody could do anything with the problems we've got at the moment. We have to play Godfrey, he's patently unfit. Ditto Richi, ditto Digne. We have to play Holgate and Keane, although they are stinking the place out. We have no adequate replacement for either of DCL or Doucoure. None of this is Benitez fault. In a rational club, the fans would be getting behind the manager, realising the hand he's been dealt through no fault of his own, and getting through it. But the multiple cry arses in our fanbase just might succeed in forcing him out, and if they do, the threat of relegation will be a reality. And we will have brought it on ourselves.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.