Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy to say that he was culpable in that Watford game with the subs made

I think every game is different

By and large I don't think you can point the finger at him too many times this season

Sadly though this is the internet where there is zero balance and no middle ground

Either it's always his fault or it never is depending on what camp you sit in
I do believe people who will call for benitez to be sacked if the team doesn't perform will not really understand just how much worse it could be.

We could have this discussion when silva left but the squad was argubally better, better enough to not worry about where we would end up. Similar to when koeman left, there was plenty of talent there to not only form a competent team but to build if the new man (ffs everton hiring allardyce) wanted to go down that route.

But fast forward to now and the key players that made us fine the last few times are injured and will be for a while. The squad has slowly been ripped apart because of its quality to begin with but we have left oursevles with the worst of the worst as back up as a direct result.

On paper. our first 11 over 38 games challenges for europa, given the mess our would be rivals are in, or inconsistent, this starting 11 is good enough to match them. However taking just 1 key player out of each position, losing richy, lewen, doucoure, mina for rondon, davies, gordon, holgate/whoever isnt mina sees the team drop from a top 6 to a bottom 6 side.

Sacking Benitez isn't the answer at all anymore because there is nothing to work with. Either we are a summer away from finally having a foundation to build on with a manager who can build. Or we are a few poached players away from going down next season without adequete replacements.

But this mentality is why we've had 5 managers in 6 seasons yet numerous players playing under each one of them.

If Silva, Ancelotti & Benitez can not get Michael Keane to not be terrified of his own shadow - then is the blame on them or the common denominator?

Thats not to say the manager is never responsible - but the common denominator at this club is the players/DOF/Medical Team/Chairman yet they never carry the can its always the manager.

Totally agree mate.

It's very sad for todays game really, just look at Nuno today, 8 games in and sacked, it's a crazy situation, that it's all on the manager.

Yeah we would have this no matter who was our manager mate, the difference with Benitez though is he was always going to be a toxic appointment before a ball was even kicked.

Yeah

I definitely don't think we'd be seeing this much division if someone like Potter had gotten it, or even that Nuno bloke for that matter

He was always going to have a hill to climb, and to be honest he didn't help himself when he got here by not making much of an attempt to smooth things over with the segment of the fan base that didn't like him due to his previous connections and actions

It's become one of those "oh just get over it" situations, but the party in question has done nothing to try and smooth things over. All the onus has been put on those with the issue to just deal with it, which was never going to fix things

Totally agree mate.

It's very sad for todays game really, just look at Nuno today, 8 games in and sacked, it's a crazy situation, that it's all on the manager.

I've got a Spurs mate from when we lived up in the South - East, was speaking to him earlier and he was saying there was more to his sacking than their defeats this season, he was saying supposedly players falling out with him, dressing room unrest, Nuno having words with Levy.

Yeah

I definitely don't think we'd be seeing this much division if someone like Potter had gotten it, or even that Nuno bloke for that matter

He was always going to have a hill to climb, and to be honest he didn't help himself when he got here by not making much of an attempt to smooth things over with the segment of the fan base that didn't like him due to his previous connections and actions

It's become one of those "oh just get over it" situations, but the party in question has done nothing to try and smooth things over. All the onus has been put on those with the issue to just deal with it, which was never going to fix things

And I say this as someone who would be the first to tell people to "get over it" had Benitez actually been courteous enough to make an effort to show some contrition for the actions that made some people dislike him so much to begin with

I said it at the time that he made a rod for his own back by not properly addressing it and apologising, and thus it's proven itself to be

I've got a Spurs mate from when we lived up in the South - East, was speaking to him earlier and he was saying there was more to his sacking than their defeats this season, he was saying supposedly players falling out with him, dressing room unrest, Nuno having words with Levy.

Sure, behind closed doors football politics, player bigger than manager type scenario.

I thought that's maybe why Ronaldo was taken back to MANure, to help get rid of OGS

Not sure Benitez has worries of that nature

And I say this as someone who would be the first to tell people to "get over it" had Benitez actually been courteous enough to make an effort to show some contrition for the actions that made some people dislike him so much to begin with

I said it at the time that he made a rod for his own back by not properly addressing it and apologising, and thus it's proven itself to be
he actually doubled down on his statement, if you check what he said when first asked about it on joining.

shameful.

Not sure Watford is one to blame the manager.

To concede 4 in last 12 minutes to Watford. Something bigger wrong there, and its not taking Gordon off for Richarlison, or Iwobi for Gray.

I've perhaps been Iwobi's greatest critic but fans putting it on him is agenda driven IMO. As is on Benitez. The team just folded;

Everton's home record against promoted teams in the Premier League since 2019/20:

L 0-2 vs Sheffield United
L 0-1 vs Norwich
D 1-1 vs Aston Villa
W 5-2 vs West Brom
L 0-1 vs Leeds
L 0-2 vs Fulham
W 2-0 vs Norwich
L 2-5 vs Watford

^ Grim, no matter who the manager is.

For me, it's this that goes right through this character of this team.

he actually doubled down on his statement, if you check what he said when first asked about it on joining.

shameful.

Like I said, rod for his own back

Was always going to happen though, he's that sort of personality

All it would have taken in that first presser would have been "It was said in anger. I obviously don't believe it to be true or I wouldn't be here. I apologise and look to move on from it by giving the club success"

Would have diffused the situation with a lot of people and would have made those still clinging to it look petty

But instead he went the other route

To concede 4 in last 12 minutes to Watford. Something bigger wrong there, and its not taking Gordon off for Richarlison, or Iwobi for Gray.

I've perhaps been Iwobi's greatest critic but fans putting it on him is agenda driven IMO. As is on Benitez. The team just folded;

What about the inability to shore up the midfield when there was the chance to? Considering that's where they dominated us in the last half hour.

Good find that. Yet our record against all of them away is pretty decent. So is it a home comforts "we'll just turn up and we'll beat them" kind of thing, or are we simply crap when the onus is on us to attack?

What about the inability to shore up the midfield when there was the chance to? Considering that's where they dominated us in the last half hour.

With who?

1635782665358.png

He brought on two senior players in Richarlison and Iwobi for Gordon and Gray.

The players out there who were winning on 63 minutes, certainly shouldn't have conceded 4 goals in 12 minutes. They set a Premier League record in doing so.

Bringing on Iwobi for Gray didn't cause that collapse.

With who?

View attachment 144539

The players out there who were winning on 63 minutes, certainly shouldn't have conceded 4 goals in 12 minutes. They set a Premier League record in doing so.

I mean, I'm no manager, but if my team was getting overrun in midfield I'd bring on Holgate or Gbamin just to bolster the middle. Might be too much common sense for Benitez though. We were of course super desperate for fresh attackers when 2-1 up at home.

With who?

View attachment 144539

Reasons for the Watford defeat;
1. Playing Rondon
2. Not taking Rondon off
3. Persisting with ridiculous zonal marking
4. Not changing shape and putting a DM on when 2-1 up and being overrun in midfield.

All on the manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.