Match Thread Everton v West Ham Utd; Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll.

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we're not supposed to mention the war but that game was crying out for a half fit James to be subbed on for Iwobi at 60 mins.
And as many have said, how can one of the kids not get a go ahead of Rondon. Does Benitez persist with him till DCL is back. That'll kill the season right off.
Who was going to finish any chances that were created ?

Missing DCL, Richarlison and Mina was our issue... not James.

Who was going to finish any chances that were created ?

Missing DCL, Richarlison and Mina was our issue... not James.
I think our problem (apart from continually playing Rondon) is that we have no one to fill Siggurdson's spot. No one to play behind the striker.
Gray is a winger and should stay on the wing, Iwobi is useless, Gordon should be given a shot but we should have kept James for games like that.
Or maybe held on to Kean till January. I know it's all well and good in hindsight but surely there must have been some questions about Rondon's fitness levels or no #10 if Richie gets injured, which, given he'd played a thousand games in a row, seemed likely.

West Ham were poor, but, much better than us. They came for a draw or a one set piece goal win and they achieved it. Moyes played us like a piano.
I thought they looked pretty solid to be fair, but we didn't have the personnel to lay a glove on them. From 5 minutes in I thought we'd do well to get a point what with Iwobi being Iwobi and Rondon being Rondon, he's playing like he walked all the way from bloody China and offers us absolutely nothing. He doesn't hold the ball up, he isn't fit enough to track back, and that's without going into his lack of attributes as an actual striker. Surely we have enough to offer as a club to get someone better than Rondon or Josh King in as striker cover?
Watford looked dire against the RS so we should get back to winning ways on Saturday. COYBlooooooos!

There’s no getting away from how poor some of these players are. They’ve just got nothing about them. No conviction, no desire, no confidence, just a very poor group. Coleman Keane Rondon are barely premier league sstand

I know we're not supposed to mention the war but that game was crying out for a half fit James to be subbed on for Iwobi at 60 mins.
And as many have said, how can one of the kids not get a go ahead of Rondon. Does Benitez persist with him till DCL is back. That'll kill the season right off.
What war?

What war?
the war of.... no wait, I'm not falling for that.

As to that other quoted post. I thought Coleman did really well. His link up play with Townsend was good and he did well going forward. One or two wayward passes but a lot went through him. On the negative side, I hate the way throw ins are slowed down so he can trot up and take them. He inevitably throws to the same player the original throw would have gone to but now everyones marked. It's happened for years under lots of managers and it baffles me.

the war of.... no wait, I'm not falling for that.

As to that other quoted post. I thought Coleman did really well. His link up play with Townsend was good and he did well going forward. One or two wayward passes but a lot went through him. On the negative side, I hate the way throw ins are slowed down so he can trot up and take them. He inevitably throws to the same player the original throw would have gone to but now everyones marked. It's happened for years under lots of managers and it baffles me.
Lol.

The manager normally makes good and quick in-game decisions. Was very unlike him Sunday. But then again I’ve noticed most our many managers start off that way. Interesting fresh team selection. And good quick decisions made in the game. Then they settle on a groove of stubbornness.

Let’s hope it’s just a blip and not a recurring thing. On to Watford says I.

Had a bad feeling about this match (Tbh I have a bad feeling about most matches!). West Ham are a better team on paper, better manager and I just get the feeling we're running out of steam. Hopefully we keep chipping away and are in a comfortable(ish) position in the table come January.

I’ve gone over that Iwobi miss so many times. And the only thing I can think is if Rondon going for it has put him off.

Which it shouldn’t do for a premier league footballer. Over to you Mr Brands.

2 lesser players who dont score anywhere near as many goals.

Same as what we've had to deal with.

Look at Liverpool last season compared to this one now they haven't half their defence out injured.
Off topic, I know, but I'm sick of hearing about injuries wrecking Liverpool last season.

They had two long term injuries, VVD and Gomez. Two. They were mid table by the time Henderson was injured.

I wish Craig Burley read this forum.

This is right when you talk about being wasteful. Mostly we lost this because of sloppy play. Not smart enough.

ie.
- Iwobis glaring miss

- Coleman shooting into row z instead of squaring to unmarked gray

- Pickfords half hearted jump

- coleman twice showing too much in last 10 minutes and needlessly losing ball

Just take 1 of these chances/avoid careless error and different story. Yes we were outplayed largely, but could have nicked something still with better decisions.
Yep agreed. Even though they were largely better because of the possession, I don't really feel like they threatened all that much. I've seen West Ham play better than that. That should at least have been a 0-0 draw.

We might not have conceded with Mina defending that corner as well. And something that I don't think we realise enough is Mina is pretty solid in distribution, so that probably led to more possession for them.

The biggest concern for me is that our squad is really thin once again. Holgate, Davies are solid players but it disappears after that... and there are no attacking players to bring off the bench, even when DCL and Richarlison is back, its just Iwobi. Gordon still needs more games.

Status
Not open for further replies.