2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
59 points.. you can only be measured on your own games, not everyone elses.
Let's wait and see.

The problem with assessing managers on points is that one assumes that the conditions are constant. Something they obviously are not. The distribution of points is rarely exactly the same from season to season.

I would also argue that last season is an extreme outlier. It is difficult to find any reference to the previous season, because there are very few seasons that have been played without supporters.

Last season we also had the margins with us, which is seen in xPTS. Unlike previous years, we have been reluctant to spend money, and have not invested very much in players. It is also a factor.

If I have to use points as an assessment criterion, I will assess it on the basis of a longer period of time. Anything between 48 and 56 points is ok. If we end up close to 56 points, we have had a very good season, but if we are closer to 48 points, we have had an ok season.

However, this must be considered on several parameters. Among other things, xPTS, other statistics, and not least what the eyes can see. Everton need stability so that it can lay a good foundation for the future.

I said when he was appointed obviously he'll have less goodwill than others however 95% of our fans are just sick of chopping and changing manager every 12-18 months and want a period of stability.

Providing he has us around the top half he'll be welcomed by most. You'll always have the man and his dog against him regardless of what he does so I dont think that element should be taken seriously - the minority always shout the loudest.
and boy, you aren't half loud and tedious.

I'm sure a paranoid control freak like Bigtitez would not want his season to be judged on the whims and bad decisions of other people....

We should probably revise how we decide who wins the league then? Some sort of methodology other than who wins more points than everyone else?

Doesn't seem fair that it would be decided against the whims and decisions of other managers at other clubs?

In fact, to take this argument to its logical conclusion, we should probably take a look at how we judge who wins a game of football at all? It can't be fair to judge the result of a game if a goal is scored as a result of a mistake by someone else?

Who could have foreseen this morning when I was making my coffee and getting the kids out to school that a mere two hours later, a revelation would be made that fundamentally changed my entire outlook on football itself? Love this forum, me.

Im simply supporting our manager/club sir - you should try it instead of pining over the Italian bloke who stabbed you in the back...
He didn't stab me in the back, he moved on to a better job a couple of weeks after getting his house robbed and his family physically threatened by armed raiders.

He was great while it lasted, but over last Summer.
You seem more upset about it than anyone, with your constant warping of facts to try to show your bulbous Kopite overlord as a spotless genius who can never be allowed to be seen to have made a mistake.

Saturday will be a useful barometer to see how we've improved since pre-season

I think he'll set us up to be super defensive in an effort to try and snatch something

Doubt he'll think we're a small club for trying that this time though now that he's in the manager seat of course...
But.. he is not a defensive manger mate, so I am repeatedly told.

He didn't stab me in the back, he moved on to a better job a couple of weeks after getting his house robbed and his family physically threatened by armed raiders.

He was great while it lasted, but over last Summer.
You seem more upset about it than anyone, with your constant warping of facts to try to show your bulbous Kopite overlord as a spotless genius who can never be allowed to be seen to have made a mistake.

No warping of fachts for me mate - King Carlo claimed he wanted to be here when BMD was built then a few months later he buggers off leaving us in the lurch.

Meanwhile you have Benitez who loves living around the city desperate to get this job and make a proper go of it after years of uninterested managers using us as a cash cow or "project".

You have to start accepting reality - Carlo was a wrongun who had us 10th and 12th, Benitez is now our manager and has us playing with more energy and zip.

Get behind him and you'll see what we've been trying to tell you for months now.

But.. he is not a defensive manger mate, so I am repeatedly told.

He will be on Saturday, because we're away at a team with better players that are title contenders, and playing defensively with an aim to keep a clean sheet and possibly nick something is a perfectly acceptable tactic in such a situation (Unless you're Everton playing at Anfield of course. Then you're a "small club" for doing it)

I think he'll set us up to be super defensive in an effort to try and snatch something

Doubt he'll think we're a small club for trying that this time though now that he's in the manager seat of course...

I'm sure he will. Ancelotti did the same last season away at better teams than ourselves with a fair degree of success.

Wonder if he has subsequently learned a bit of humility on the subject

I don't know if we can be fully judged without 3 key players, including our 2 centre forwards. We need to compete far better than in preseason, but I don't think we have the tools to hurt them, and they will be slightly vulnerable without Maguire.

Status
Not open for further replies.