New Everton Stadium Discussion

Development on the potential safe standing in Premier League stadiums. Seems increasingly so that this will be installed at BMD in parts at least I would have thought. No talk of increased ratios from what I can see.

Also do you think that Everton will also look into doing something in the short term with this at Goodison, or is it likely that it won't be worth it for the (likely) short time remaining there, and probable increased costs of doing this with a dated stadium?
Good article in the Athletic today on safe standing for those with a subscription
1 pound a month is well worth it

But it does have something to do with the history of the site on which our stadium will exist. Its a story of the ground. In the same way that the meeting in the Sandon lead to the existence of Goodison Park. In the same way that the history of St Lukes is part of Everton history, the reason the docks exist and the trade, of all kinds, that passed through them is now part of our history.

As part of the stadium build, Everton had committed to preserving historical artifacts and stories of the docks and all the people that passed through them, right from the very beginning. They view the opportunity to build in that location as an honour, and one that they must respect. We are a major part of this cities history and so are the docks.

Had we moved to Kirkby, no, your right, there wouldn't be anything. Walton Park, probably not either, nor the bestway site. However, you can rest assured that had Everton moved to this location, or another that holds so much significant historical record at any time over the last 10/20/30 years, they would have sought to educate about it. Thats what our club has done, is doing and will continue to do in many different guises throughout the city in all different communities. I for one hope it continues as football is a source of many things for many different people, and as Everton have proved over many years, it can be a source for education, equality and an opportunity for voices to be heard that otherwise wouldn't have been.

Long may it continue.
Jacko, I think you've unwittingly stepped into the minefield of the so called culture war with some people posting in this thread. I;m not sure if they even support the club or just trawl the internet searching for 'woke' content in order to destroy.

IMO it is incumbent on the club to place as a matter of record their opposition to past wrongs committed on the site in order to reclaim it for a more noble project. This, afterall, is the club that set up an emergency soup kitchen in 1895 to feed the local population brought to its knees by a slump in trade at the port. Why on earth wouldn't the same organisation intervene on non-football matters now - and one it's more directly connecting itself to?

Jacko, I think you've unwittingly stepped into the minefield of the so called culture war with some people posting in this thread. I;m not sure if they even support the club or just trawl the internet searching for 'woke' content in order to destroy.

IMO it is incumbent on the club to place as a matter of record their opposition to past wrongs committed on the site in order to reclaim it for a more noble project. This, afterall, is the club that set up an emergency soup kitchen in 1895 to feed the local population brought to its knees by a slump in trade at the port. Why on earth wouldn't the same organisation intervene on non-football matters now - and one it's more directly connecting itself to?
I’m quite excited by the prospect of what they’ll do to the pumping house on site.

B3A5B83B-8EE8-4696-AC2C-5227014694CF.jpeg

My grandad was a union activist in the late 20s who was blacklisted in Dublin in the 20s
Union got him work on Liverpool docks and he was involved with the union there
He then came home and later on used his connections to get my dad a job on Liverpool Docks.
He came home and got married
I’ve broken the link.
A lot of Irish connections to Liverpool esp on the docks
Yes it's one of the reasons a lot of the Protestant population moved away from the vicinity of the docks as that area was taken over by (mostly) Irish Catholic casual Labour. Vauxhall incidentently voted in a Sinn Fein Candidate in the 20s

Just a thought on safe standing. There has been no terracing since when was it? Early 90's? That means even if you were a little 'un at that time who stood on the terracing, you'd be around 40 now, wouldn't you? Blimey,I'm getting old.

Anybody post on here who thinks they might be the youngest to have stood on the Gwladys?