Everton Youth Teams Thread

I am far from being an expert on the academy but from what I have seen there seems to be a radical shift in how young players are now brought through.

The under 23 team could to a large degree also be the under 18 team as young players are pushed through the system quicker. We have retained some more experienced youngsters but even they seem to be only about 20.

It will probably take another couple of years before we see if this new policy works.

I have no idea.

You'd imagine the club would be looking for them.

I'll be stunned if any of our coaches are coveted elsewhere.
Ok so you have no idea about what you’ve suggested.
And prepare to be stunned. We’ve lost two coaches who were coveted elsewhere to promotions as first team coaches recently , both ex Everton players who worked their way up , Francis Jeffers and Phil Jevons. .

And prepare to be stunned. We’ve lost two coaches who were coveted elsewhere to promotions as first team coaches recently , both ex Everton players who worked their way up , Francis Jeffers and Phil Jevons. .

And I'll watch their progress with interest.

It:'s easy this forming opinions over time thing. I'm basing my opinion of our coaching staff on their output. It's been piss poor.

It beats the argument that coaching is irrelevant as suggested earlier.

Thank god the swamp is beginning to be drained. I sure hope we don’t give them their jobs back when they leave their current clubs, that would never happen surely.

It:'s easy this forming opinions over time thing. I'm basing my opinion of our coaching staff on their output. It's been piss poor.

Well that’s a long discussion almost akin to educating youngsters . Over the years I’ve worked with some brilliant secondary school teachers in deprived areas who get wonderful results from a low base, but if you want your kid to be Prime Minister you should send them to Eton . If you use your logic the Eton teachers are 1000x better than other teachers because of their output.

Other Premier League teams have 16 year olds coming into their sides in the cups and going toe to toe with actual Premier League and Championship teams. The fruit of Unsworth’s labours is Jonjoe Kenny who is older than DCL, Richarlison, Marcus Rashford and Gabriel Jesus, yet looks like a complete nervous wreck making his first team debut every single time he plays. It’s an unacceptable job he’s doing. His position should be under serious scrutiny.
You know Anthoney Gordon played last night? Also any 16 year old that is playing 1st team games against PL and Champ teams probably hasn't/wouldn't spend much time in the u23s, so wouldn't have any thing to do with Unsworth....

…he has the physicality but even for the U23 he lacks quality. He trains with the first team, he has the physical equipment to play ‘open age’ but it’s still a massive step up. Time will tell, there’s not much ahead of him.
Feel this is unfair on Onyango. Just cos he is tall and lanky doesn't mean he is not skillful. Seeing him play in person, the thing that stuck out for me at the time was his ability with the ball. He may not be Messi, but he's not Carlton Palmer either.

You know Anthoney Gordon played last night? Also any 16 year old that is playing 1st team games against PL and Champ teams probably hasn't/wouldn't spend much time in the u23s, so wouldn't have any thing to do with Unsworth....

The point was more that their 16 year olds look more like grown men and more comfortable on a football pitch than players that have stepped up from our under 23s.

I never once said coaching is irrelevant. If you're struggling to make a point don't lie about other peoples posts.

Here comes mightymoyes, guru of the academy, to tell us that everything is ticking along just nicely and it’s definitely not a failure in any way. Missing Nathan Broadhead this season down there aren’t we mate?

no one is saying everything is ticking along nicely, far from it.
and seeing most of the good academies are now going down the route of having at least one older player (far older than Broadhead mind) in the u23 team you could say we are missing someone like him yes.
but sure come on to the thread and spout your guff after a defeat if it makes you feel better.

The academy isn't working and isn't producing players. I don't know why, I don't know how it is fixed. But the club need to find solutions and make improvements.

They get so little exposure to first team football. We've gone into the last few games with less than the permitted number of subs. What harm would it do to stick one of the standout performers from youth level on there for a bit of experience and incentive?