Everton Youth Teams Thread

What even is the end game for the academy, like do we have KPI in place or anything? I would love the club to say Brands and Unsworth have a KPI of getting X amount of minutes for academy players over the next 3 years and aim to have a player in the first team regularly. It just doesn't feel like we have anything there to manage what they should be doing.

Having something in front to them which would up recruitment and push further coaching and styling would put a stick up their backsides.
I seriously don't think Moshiri cares about this and just wants instant success now. Absolutely nothing about his tenure has suggested anything long term with the football side of things so I wouldn't hold my breath on that

I seriously don't think Moshiri cares about this and just wants instant success now. Absolutely nothing about his tenure has suggested anything long term with the football side of things so I wouldn't hold my breath on that

Yeah its extremely frustrating. You see (I know they are a different playing field financially) how City's owners came in and embraced the youth after a few years and put money into them. I always thought Instant success was the Walsh area and Moshiri had his head screwed on with Brands... obviously I was wrong.

Lol Leeds have one first teamer from their academy in Kalvin Phillips who 2 years ago everyone would've scoffed at.

Villa have produced Grealish and now have a bunch of kids that may turn out good or may be worse than Davies

Leicester have Harvey Barnes and Chilwell recently and not much else.

Southampton I will give you but they have geography on their side

Leicester have also got Luke Thomas who’s just broke through, and Choudhury has been around the squad for a few years now. Not an amazing player or anything, but he’s done some sort of a job at Premier League level which cannot be said of any of our academy grads other than Davies (some people will argue til they’re blue in the face about him as well)

Other clubs that are smaller or similar size clubs to us seem to be able to fill out their squads with at least a few academy players who can do a job. I’m not expecting us to produce a Grealish or even a Phillips or Harvey Barnes, but we can’t even produce players that are capable of being squad fillers. It’s not good enough. Geography isn’t an excuse either, the North West is a hotbed of talent, our youth scouting and recruitment needs to be better.

Leicester have also got Luke Thomas who’s just broke through, and Choudhury has been around the squad for a few years now. Not an amazing player or anything, but he’s done some sort of a job at Premier League level which cannot be said of any of our academy grads other than Davies (some people will argue til they’re blue in the face about him as well)

Other clubs that are smaller or similar size clubs to us seem to be able to fill out their squads with at least a few academy players who can do a job. I’m not expecting us to produce a Grealish or even a Phillips or Harvey Barnes, but we can’t even produce players that are capable of being squad fillers. It’s not good enough. Geography isn’t an excuse either, the North West is a hotbed of talent, our youth scouting and recruitment needs to be better.
We have players that could do a job in isolation. JJK had as good a youth career as Thomas and played about the same amount of games as a 20 year old. I'm not saying JJK is good enough but if we were a good side like Leicester I don't think he'd stick out like a sore thumb. Davies does a job similar to Choudhury. Gordon could probably do a job, I don't think he's great but he could've done no worse than a few last season.

I do agree we don't produce enough but how much of that is down to the managers? I'd rather know what we've got in Simms than see any more of Rondon or Tosun or False 9 Iwobi, he could hardly do worse.

Would love someone to actually go through and show all the successful academy products all these clubs have supposedly produced, that actually came through their own system, as opposed to slating ours off cos a Grealish or Philips turns up once in a blue moon at another club.

Leicester is a good example to use. The other night our U23s played theirs away in their show piece training stadium complex that cost £100 mill , we’ve got Finch Farm and Southport for the U23s . That is not an excuse for poor performances at U23s , more a reiteration of a difference between Leicester and us - their owners appear to have a vision , desire and a plan that goes from first team right down to the Academy . We’ve got Bill who sends text messages to the U23s commentators on match night to show he’s at one with our club, Moshiri doesn’t even appear to have that amount of interest.

Leicester is a good example to use. The other night our U23s played theirs away in their show piece training stadium complex that cost £100 mill , we’ve got Finch Farm and Southport for the U23s . That is not an excuse for poor performances at U23s , more a reiteration of a difference between Leicester and us - their owners appear to have a vision , desire and a plan that goes from first team right down to the Academy . We’ve got Bill who sends text messages to the U23s commentators on match night to show he’s at one with our club, Moshiri doesn’t even appear to have that amount of interest.

That sounds like a lot when you first look at it, but then you remember we spent that on Gbamin, Iwobi and Cenk Tosun and suddenly it doesn’t sound like a lot. Shows what a bit of forward planning can do for you. Our club is a mess from top to bottom.

The revolving door for manager doesn't help with players breaking through. Every manager comes in brings in their own players has to deal with previous manager(s) left overs. The other problem is the standard of players we produce. We have produced a lot of footballers good enough to be professionals but not good enough for what we want in our first team. Unfortunately we are competing with City, United and RS for local talent which means we are probably the 4th most attractive. If we had been producing a few first team players we would be more attractive as players would come for a better chance. It's kind of a chicken and egg situation.