2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mad thing is fans saw last season even at the start when we were winning games playing good football that we were cut through like butter with James in midfield or out wide (hence why Carlo went with the flat back 4 of CB's) and were conceding around 2 a game yet they question why Benitez doesn't see him fitting the system.

So just to confirm.

We are already missing our number 10, who can't be named, we have DCL and Richarlison injured and now James gone without the ability to replace him for 3 months? All within a month of the season starting.

Shambles.
Why is it a 'shambles' because we have a couple of important players injured? Thats what happens in football. Is Spurs having a couple of injuries 'a shambles'...is the RS having a couple of injuries 'a shambles? Forget the other two, one won't be picked and the other can't be picked. We can still put out a team to beat QPR.

'Replacing James'? Why would we need to replace someone who is never likely to play?
The squad is wafer thin as it is, it already has suffered a spate of injuries that leaves us relying on Rondon to grab the goals. If you think that removing another proven attacking player out of this scenario now without a replacement is inconsequential then I don’t know where to start.

I think it shows how fan perception clouds a lot of things.

Ancelotti was absolutely hero worshipped by the fanbase yet he was one of the worst fits possible.

Benitez on the other hand is hated by many yet is the closest thing we've had to a Moyes/Royle type manager which is exactly the type we need to put some effort back into the current squad and build some solid foundations.

You look at what Moyes has done at West Ham and he's turned a team buying over priced primadonnas like Anderson and Lanzini waltzing around on big wages and now has them a tough outfit who gives most teams a game these days.

Thats exactly what we need from Benitez over the next 1-2 seasons. Fans simply need to give him time and give him 1-2 summers to rebuild the squad.

Make no mistake the road we have been going down was heading for eventual relegation make no mistake about it - hiring and firing managers every 18 months, a squad of overpaid wasters turning up when they felt like it we've needed to press the reset button since Koemans disaster 2nd season but have dragged it on and on.
Nothing to do with CA mate. It's not an either or thing just as it's not an either or thing with James/Benitez.

But the way he's handled the James situation does underline some of the reasons I don't like the man and also why I didn't want him as manager.

I'd given him the benefit of the doubt but my first opinion was proved correct

The mad thing is fans saw last season even at the start when we were winning games playing good football that we were cut through like butter with James in midfield or out wide (hence why Carlo went with the flat back 4 of CB's) and were conceding around 2 a game yet they question why Benitez doesn't see him fitting the system.

…I get that, indeed I continually pointed it out last season through the euphoria. The point, though, is Rodriguez does have something to offer going the other way and if he’s here and under contract you should look to utilise that even if it’s off the bench.

It seems there is a personality clash here (this is my assumption), both are characters with big ego. There might be issues on both sides but the issue appears to be resolving itself.

The Club would be absolutely loving the fallout going on in here if they could see it. People blaming James or people blaming Benitez is more than they could have ever hoped for when in reality this is a circumstance that has very little to do with either of them and is entirely of the club's making.

This thread and the thread for Benitez have 10x more pages than Marcel Brands' thread does.

Why should we do that?

Why should we allow him to go play somewhere else (Or enjoy their nice Physio room) at our expense for whatever salary he's on? Everton Football Club doesn't exist for the pleasure of James Rodriguez.

He'll either knuckle down and contribute or an exit strategy that suits all parties will be negotiated. We're skint (in so much as our ability to spend goes) as it is. He's out of contract at season end so even a small-ish saving paying him (for example 75%) of what's owed would help.

and what type of effect do you think that has on the other players if you keep someone from playing.

Fantastic footballer he can change a game would love him to stay but Everton cant afford a player on his wages sat on the bench, completely disagree with the way Benitez has treated him I suppose sometimes you have to be ruthless.

Nothing to do with CA mate. It's not an either or thing just as it's not an either or thing with James/Benitez.

But the way he's handled the James situation does underline some of the reasons I don't like the man and also why I didn't want him as manager.

I'd given him the benefit of the doubt but my first opinion was proved correct

I dont think there is much personal animosity between James and the manager mate I think the club are pushing his exit far more than the manager is.

But I think a lot of managers have that way where if they dont like a type of player they wont entertain them - Zidane was the same with James, Mourinho and SAF were notorious for it and even our Moyes once he didnt like someone (Van Der Meyde, Drenthe) good luck getting any opportunity at the club.

I dont think James is bothered where he ends up tbh he has no connection to this club or fanbase and I think he'll happily leave if the right off€r comes along in which the club will happily accept whilst I dont think the manager will be too bothered.

Status
Not open for further replies.