2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
At LB. He was woeful at RB.
I replied to someone specifically saying fullback. I then said he should be competing with our current left back and that Holgate could be used on the other side.

I don't think that distinction needed to be made, it wasn't that confusing.

I replied to someone specifically saying fullback. I then said he should be competing with our current left back and that Holgate could be used on the other side.

I don't think that distinction needed to be made, it wasn't that confusing.

I was pointing out that you said his best performances have come at full-back so I reminded you that was at LB not RB and the original discussion came from Dave asking about him being our RB.

I was pointing out that you said his best performances have come at full-back so I reminded you that was at LB not RB and the original discussion came from Dave asking about him being our RB.
Someone said he's not got the quality to play fullback.

His best performances for us have been at left back.

Left back is a full back.

The 1st explanation was not unnecessary. The 2nd was just pointless.

Just play him as a CB lads because he's a CB

Every player should be played in their best position. His is CB so I totally agree. In my opinion he's our best option there. At the minute though with lack of LB cover he may have to play odd game there. Hopefully Digne stays fit and we can leave him where he is best and deserves to play.

Someone said he's not got the quality to play fullback.

His best performances for us have been at left back.

Left back is a full back.

The 1st explanation was not unnecessary. The 2nd was just pointless.

But Sagey was replying to this point by Dave:

I dont know where the friction comes from when he's suggested as a RB.

To me he could be our Kyle Walker. He has the pace and athleticism of Walker and he can carry the ball alright. He needs a lot of games there and to be able to get his head up to link with forward players when he gets to the final third.

It's as plain as a pikestaff to me that he's a RB. I dont see him in midfield because he isn't cute enough on the ball, and he isn't (as said) a CB because he's poor positionally.

Anyway, no surprise that he looked unfit last night.

He's clearly had COVID and clearly it's done him pretty badly.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if he's not back fully fit and ready for a few months tbh. If this thing sticks around you don't just suddenly get fit again, and depending if he's had his jabs, he might well be yet to have one or both of them which could even set him back further.

Basically, gotta treat it like he's coming back from a pretty bad injury.

He's not a fullback though. He can hack it defensively but there is more to it than that at fullback.
I agree, he is a bit of an agricultural fullback, but in my opinion he was better there than at CB. I just think CB is less forgiving.

I like tgd lad but he is not the finished article. Still has more learning to do, but has a lot of good attributes.

He has 3 possible positions for me: either FB position or CM.

The FB berths are obviously where he should be: he has the engine to get up and down and he can carry the ball well enough. CM may suit too: he is competitive and could really add some punch in the middle with Doucoure. He'd have a fight on his hands dislodging Digne and Allan from LB and CM, but I can see him placing a lot of pressure on Coleman for the RB berth.

I dont see how he can be a CB. I really dont think he's careful enough on the ball to trust there with the ball at his feet and he cant seem to get his head on the ball (and that's taking into account Keane's gaffes too).

It's his second season here and he needs to secure a starting place somewhere soon if he isn't to just drift as some 'utility' player.

He has 3 possible positions for me: either FB position or CM.

The FB berths are obviously where he should be: he has the engine to get up and down and he can carry the ball well enough. CM may suit too: he is competitive and could really add some punch in the middle with Doucoure. He'd have a fight on his hands dislodging Digne and Allan from LB and CM, but I can see him placing a lot of pressure on Coleman for the RB berth.

I dont see how he can be a CB. I really dont think he's careful enough on the ball to trust there with the ball at his feet and he cant seem to get his head on the ball (and that's taking into account Keane's gaffes too).

It's his second season here and he needs to secure a starting place somewhere soon if he isn't to just drift as some 'utility' player.
You can't trust him with the ball at CB so you want him to move to midfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.