Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
12-5 vs 10-4

Not much difference really is it.

Also what happened after those 4 games last season?
Also we had a fully fit squad at the start of last season vs missing Godfrey and James this season so far, the latter clearly not match fit, and without DCL last night too. The next two games will be a huge test without DCL again, but hopefully we are able to take at least 4 points from them as that will keep us there or thereabouts in the table.

Problem is if we started 442 last night we have less options if something isnt right and we need to.change.
It's very hard to say he got something wrong in a game we we 3 1
Are you saying that there weren't enough forward options off the bench so we had to start with a negative formation so we could change it if things weren't going well? Well, apart from being simply bizarre thinking, the obvious and easy answer was to put an extra attacking option on the bench. He had one available to him. :coffee:

We could easily have gone into that game with 433 formation, dropped one of our 5 defensive options and had Rondon, James, Iwobi and Gordon on the bench if we needed to change things. I mean, I actually believe Kenny is so poor now we wouldn't even miss him. Either Godfrey or Holgate would be a better option.

I don't disagree at all.

I'd just argue that rectifying the issue within the game in a way that leads us to victory cancels out the initial error.

Indeed, seeing an Everton manager light enough on his feet (metaphorically, of course) to change the game like that is more exciting to me than if he'd started with 2 centre backs and not had to make the switch.

He's probing the squad, testing out variations to see what works and adjusting when things don't. He's building a library of options.
He's only 4 proper league games in, options will be explored, errors will be made, lessons will be learnt and hopefully in time........

Fantastic start so far, win or draw that Villa game, beat Norwich and we've give ourselves a great platform going into the harder games this season.

Liked the 4-3-3 we switched to yesterday, hope we see it at Villa.

Pickford
Coleman----Mina--Godfrey----Digne
Allan
Doucoure----Gomes
Townsend--------------------Gray
Richarlison​

Fantastic start so far, win or draw that Villa game, beat Norwich and we've give ourselves a great platform going into the harder games this season.

Liked the 4-3-3 we switched to yesterday, hope we see it at Villa.

Pickford
Coleman----Mina--Godfrey----Digne
Allan
Doucoure----Gomes
Townsend--------------------Gray
Richarlison​
That is a decent team, the midfield and defence is solid base that can stifle teams, blistering pace out wide for the counter.

We had that in Marco Silva. Didn't work out in the end, no matter how good the game plan A is you WILL concede first sometimes in football.
There are quite a few teams better than Everton in this league so I accept that going behind is something that will happen frequently. What I am saying is that we shouldn't be giving them a helping hand by going into the game with a structure that hands them the initiative.

Anyway, I'm getting bored arguing this point now. Let's just say that I hope he learns from it and doesn't experiment with 3/5 at the back again.

There are quite a few teams better than Everton in this league so I accept that going behind is something that will happen frequently. What I am saying is that we shouldn't be giving them a helping hand by going into the game with a structure that hands them the initiative.

Anyway, I'm getting bored arguing this point now. Let's just say that I hope he learns from it and doesn't experiment with 3/5 at the back again.
That's the thing with Rafael, his teams have always been solid, Valencia were a machine of a side, in the PL none of his teams were ever bad defensively, always solid, be it on set plays and overall play, he has a way, it's rigid and methodical but it always has a solid base with a strong defence/midfield.

I agree. DCL is needed to weigh on defences
Well, you're pretty much the fattest guy here then. Serious damage, no brain function except a weird sexual attraction to Colombians with weak calves
Again. The season last year begun the last week of September. Makes being top at Christmastime a bit less impressive.
Thanks for having a go mate.? It is always pleasing to see when an underdog tries to step up and you have my full support. I am concerned to hear about your brain issues and fetish. Try and steer clear of anyone that tries to push singed pictures of Jamie Carragher. We are all here to help - PM me if you need a chat.

I hear you. But I doubt Benitez's plan was to concede first yesterday. It happens, did yesterday and we did brilliant to turn it around, that's what you need across a season.

I think somehow he has to find a way to get James back into the squad. That will show management skills. Even if he is just on the bench to give us an option of something different.

Imagine starting with a front 3 of Gray-DCL-Townsend and having the option of bringing on Richarlison, James and Rondon that would give teams something to think about.
Richy on the bench ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.