Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that was always about appeasing us because we were so poor in relation to other clubs. If it was reaffirmed that we have no money to make major signings this window, I think most of us would have accepted it and looked at the business we have done as the best business possible given the constraints.

To go after a quality player and come out with £1.7 m spent is outrageous and has annoyed us all. The club have leaked it to the favoured journos and stated their confidence. Surely they can't be so stupid to think a phantom transfer would work like this??

Still, it being the Everton board, you never know.
I'm increasingly sure that we are, in fact, genuinely skint. I get the narrative that it's all FFP or P&L rules holding us back, and maybe that's true but maybe Moshiri has just pulled up the money bridge. Even if it is the rules, we're still going to be knacked next summer, we haven't shifted any big wages or brought in any big fees this year (or next, the Kean deal doesn't pay out until '23). Even if we break even this year (we won't), we'll still be over the P&L losses rules next year. We'll clear some more wages through contract expiry and fees will be amortised for a further year but we're not going to be able to "spend big" as some people believe and the inevitable mid-table finish this year will not exactly be a lure for star players. At best we'll tread water, at worst we slide down the league and Moshiri Randy Lerner's us.

Serge Aurier leaving Spurs by mutual consent. Don’t know where that leave other clubs?
Saw Timm Klose from Norwich did the same. We may see a few more of these in the coming days/weeks, I reckon.

Players forego remaining wages and/or loyalty bonuses to rip up their contract, knowing they can get a signing on fee elsewhere. Where clubs might have wanted to hang on for a nominal fee in Jan before, now they’ll just be happy to be rid of the salary.

I'm increasingly sure that we are, in fact, genuinely skint. I get the narrative that it's all FFP or P&L rules holding us back, and maybe that's true but maybe Moshiri has just pulled up the money bridge. Even if it is the rules, we're still going to be knacked next summer, we haven't shifted any big wages or brought in any big fees this year (or next, the Kean deal doesn't pay out until '23). Even if we break even this year (we won't), we'll still be over the P&L losses rules next year. We'll clear some more wages through contract expiry and fees will be amortised for a further year but we're not going to be able to "spend big" as some people believe and the inevitable mid-table finish this year will not exactly be a lure for star players. At best we'll tread water, at worst we slide down the league and Moshiri Randy Lerner's us.
Maybe you're right mate. But P&L loss rules aren't likely to be in place next year. FFP is being changed over the next couple of months to be based on wages as % of turnover (which will cause us problems in different ways) and PM rules are expected to follow suit.

Maybe you're right mate. But P&L loss rules aren't likely to be in place next year. FFP is being changed over the next couple of months to be based on wages as % of turnover (which will cause us problems in different ways) and PM rules are expected to follow suit.
Have the rules ever been changed in a way to allow financially smaller clubs to compete with the commercial juggernauts? The rules won't be changed in a way that benefits us, they will be changed to benefit the ESL clubs. Their punishment for wanting to destroy English football will be massive competitive advantages over the rest of us.

Mate have a word with yourself. Clubs leak to favoured journos all the time. It was that group - talksport/Joyce/King etc. that these stories went through again.

I'm glad to see that you think I am the only Evertonian who allowed himself to have his hopes raised. I wish I had your level of restraint and understanding of things :coffee:
Oh don't get me wrong, I certainly allowed my hopes to be raised. It's just that I don't believe the club can be held to account for that.
Do you honestly believe that the club actually told journos that they were "confident" of doing a deal for Diaz?
I'm not sure that any of the journalists you mention even reported that we were 'confident' of doing the deal TBH.

I think we’ve got 15-20m as evidenced by what we were able to go to for Diaz and with that Patterson lad

Anything after that has to come from player sales/wages off the books

Unfortunately our DoF seems incapable of selling any players

I think we’ve got 15-20m as evidenced by what we were able to go to for Diaz and with that Patterson lad

Anything after that has to come from player sales/wages off the books

Unfortunately our DoF seems incapable of selling any players
Can't sell players people don't want. It's just another reason to start buying younger. People tend to take punts even when those don't work. Look at Vlasic and Lookman.

Status
Not open for further replies.