Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I agree. I'll admit, when we were first linked, I had my doubts though. I just didn't see how he'd fit because Everton don't do stuff like play three strikers. I remember chatting to a lad at work about it and just saying 'he'd just end up having to play on the wing' but my colleague had watched him a fair bit more than I had. But he's a City fan, and used to probably seeing talents nurtured and also getting to come in and play with world class players, not turbo dross.

I suppose I talked myself round to it and was dead excited when we signed him. And I agree about our tendency to throw the baby out with the bathwater (like I've said about James) and then wonder why we go nowhere. However in this case, I do have to say the player didn't really seem to fit in either and while that is on managers etc, ultimately he has to do it on the pitch as well. But again, it's half-and-half because we've never really played him to get the best out of him until, ironically, the first half the other night when I think he looked really good (admittedly against a poor side) in a front three, only for it to all go wrong for him in the second half.

It's the lesser of necessary evils this summer IMO though. The anger shouldn't be with this deal, moreso how we've got here.

We are that desperate for money and ultimately a deal like this could in theory be as good as a sale for us. It's crap but is what it is and, nobody, hand on heart, can say we'd miss what Kean brought to us while he goes. While I will defy anybody going we won't miss James, because we will, and that's why I've been so set in my view on that front even while I see the other side of the argument.

It all boils down to the absolute waste of the last few years under successive managers and DoFs.

Good points mate. I’ll say this though, “hand on heart no will miss what Kran brings”, but also hand on heart no one will miss what Josh King brings, we still need a second striker, but I honestly think we’re dropping a clanger letting Kean go, its not even potential he was doing it in the CL last season. All this is doing is consigning us to another Josh King signing at a higher cost than we currently have with Kean. There is 0 benefit it for us here.

Last edited:
I wasn't suggesting a team in England would buy him off us, rather hypothetically that if Kean was already at one of those clubs they wouldn't have a problem selling him permanently in this window following his loan at PSG.

I certainly don't think he has a future in England.
Okay fair enough.

I think in a normal market we would have managed. I also think that you're right in saying that if Kean played for say, Bayer Leverkusen, they would have sold him. But then again, it'd have probably have been to an English club.

I think that's the issue we've got here. No English club outside of a select few (whose needs/targets are elsewhere) would pay what we wanted for him, and the continental clubs can't afford it.

It simply can't happen.

No negotiations. Nothing. Just don't even go to the table.
I think we could be set to lose Richy, Kean, James, Gomes and potentially Digne before the the window closes. I`m not sure any incomings could be as good or better than Richy or Digne, thats if we get any in at all....

We will still have Kenny, Holgate, Delph, Iceland, Tosun & Iwobi.

So am I right in thinking it’s

£5m upfront and then £25m obligation at the end of the season?

If thats true and you take into account the amount we got for loaning him out to psg (allegedly) we've probably made just under £10m profit on the lad. Which isnt much but its still a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.