Match Thread Everton v Southampton - Preview, Match Report and MotM poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As many of you know, covid has meant I had relocate back to Bristol, but I did renew my season ticket. Match view from my seat:

20210814_154918.jpg

Not bad actually. I'd have passed my seat to someone else but Everton made a tramp's arse of that as well....

I have nothing against Andros Townsend but it kind of blows me away we’d play him over James. Townsend might work harder than James or cover more of the pitch, but James will get a goal or assist once every other game.

There’s no one creating goals in this team, we’re going to struggle for goals this season.

A few days ago Mina mentioned that he has spoken very little to Benitez since arriving to Liverpool so it doesn't seem Mina may be in his plans either, very puzzling but no surprising.
Mina is not the solution. He's definitely the best of our central defenders, but he's a "personality" player rather than the top class stopper we need. I'd like to see less of the silly dancing nonsense and more quality defending from Yerri. I watched him in a recent international and he did a great Colossus of Rhodes impression as an attacker simply danced around him to net.

Everton need to start signing good players, not "personalities" who failed at a low-ebb Barcelona.

Same old story really - our opponents working harder and doing the basics better.

I think this undersells the issues.

It's down to quality and movement and tactics.

We don't get players up the pitch in stages. We play hit and rush footy where the players are, to coin a phrase from a famously baffled rugby league coach, 'spread out in a bunch'

The passes then have to be spot on, because they're all long range. There's no interplay or building of moves because we have nobody getting the ball off the defence (which is why Davies should play) and nobody carrying it, which is what gets you up the pitch if you aren't able to keep the possession.

The mistake is on Keane, but it comes from a massive lack of movement ahead of him and he hesistates.

It's the same as ever, and it's not just about basics and working hard.

Mina is not the solution. He's definitely the best of our central defenders, but he's a "personality" player rather than the top class stopper we need. I'd like to see less of the silly dancing nonsense and more quality defending from Yerri. I watched him in a recent international and he did a great Colossus of Rhodes impression as an attacked simply danced around him to net.

Everton need to start signing good players, not "personalities" who failed at a low-ebb Barcelona.

We are better with him in the team

Status
Not open for further replies.