Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a weird narrative going around that good players have to cost £50m+ forgetting that very few other clubs pay £30m for absolute bilge like we do.

I meant it more the other way, they're so keen on flogging that really anyone looking to buy could easily negotiate 10-15 mil off that fee I reckon.

And be absolutely sure, if the Premierleague were to make an example of one team for breaking the rules it would be us. We're not one of their beloved six and we're not some yoyo club jumping between the division. We're big enough and historic enough for it to an impact whilst small enough for it to not affect the Prem's brand.

They couldn't only punish Everton and just ignore any other club that has also broken the supposed rules.

A target of 30% yoy? Which clubs have ever managed that over more than a season or two without the team winning promotion or a trophy?

And the car salesman analogy isn't really apt. Football is a team game and it's a matter of opinion, not fact, whether an individual player is responsible for the success or failure of the team. No player with options would sign a contract that meant their reward was limited by the performances of their teammates or the team's failure to reach top 4. Under a system like this, we would probably not have given James his full wages this past season, but (a) would that be legal and (b) any player with options wouldn't consider signing for us in future. And anyway the effect on players' performance would likely be negative, prompting a focus on measurable stats like successful passes rather than effective ones.

A car salesman relies on having good cars to sell, and the marketing of the marque and finance package in offer will make a difference, but individual performance measures are far more applicable.

Having said all that, I agree that the principle of holding people to account and it does look like that hasn't happened enough at times at the club.

As regards the figure, we can play around with the number, but 30% seems reasonable at this point given we are essentially an underperforming asset. In terms of YOY performance, I don't know what Liverpool and Spurs did, but neither of them won anything for a long time and both drove up commercial performance. It's difficult but it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.