2020/21 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just want benitez to fail so want to turn positives into negatives. Getting rid of a midfielder on high wages who can't carry the ball, tackle, assist or score is a good thing.

I just don't understand why we are stripping all the quality out of the side. We'll be left with Allan - who I do rate but was very patchy - Gbamin who has had two major injuries, Delph, Gylfi, Doucoure who I think is really clumsy and Davies, who is hopelessly awful.

The two new outfielders don't enhance the squad quality all either.

The James stuff in particular is genuinely bizarre.

What positives are there?

I just don't understand why we are stripping all the quality out of the side.

Agree with you there if James leaves its a crazy decision. Not sure what that has to do with Gomes being sold as he might look quality on the ball but what's the point in doing nice touches and turns if he has to pass it back because he can't run past someone? Or gives away free kicks for fun because he can't keep up to put a tackle in?

Not quite sure why this sale is being celebrated either :Blink:

We are hardly going to be a better team for selling Gomes, Bernard, James, Mina this summer and replacing them with players of the standard of Gray and Townsend.

Surely that's obvious?

Gomes isn't able to compete physically in this league anymore. The game is too fast for him. We need to bring in someone better. If there is a good offer on the table then we should sell

Bernard hadn't contributed much since his first season so it made sense to let him go. What's the point of having a high earner who isn't good enough to play regularly?

No idea what the plan is with Mina. Ideally we need a contract extension because hes inside 2 years now, but if he doesnt want to extend then we will need to consider selling before his value drops.

James will stay if he wants to stay and leave if he wants to leave. If he's still struggling with injuries that will really limit his availability then we need to make a decision but hopefully he's healthy and ready to play regularly. I'm not convinced we will actively look to sell him.

Unfortunately we only have a handful of players who I'd be upset to lose. If offers come in then we need to make sales and reinvest.

I just don't understand why we are stripping all the quality out of the side. We'll be left with Allan - who I do rate but was very patchy - Gbamin who has had two major injuries, Delph, Gylfi, Doucoure who I think is really clumsy and Davies, who is hopelessly awful.

I agree it would be daft to sell without a replacement.
However, Like Davies, Gomes has been poor more often than not. Not a fan of Davies at all but at least he never hides. Gomes hides.
Again, very likeable chap but isn’t a quality player

We are hardly going to be a better team for selling Gomes, Bernard, James, Mina this summer and replacing them with players of the standard of Gray and Townsend.

Surely that's obvious?

Lets ignore who were signing at the moment.

Lets focus on the positives of never seeing Bernard again.

If we can offload the dreadful players in the squad then at least we wont have to suffer watching them again.

New signings who knows but sales imo are a positive.

Surely that's obvious?
I’m not celebrating but you can’t say that Gomes or Bernard have done enough to justify the wages. There’s been too many treading water for too long and that needs addressed.

Where I agree with you 100% is the strategy of moving on players who proved not consistent enough to replace them with cheaper, worse players who aren’t good enough and also won’t be consistent enough. Utter madness.

Be a bit surprised if Benfica want him as they just signed Joao Mario who (I think) plays in the middle of the park. Would be great business to get more than £10m for Gomes though, and he isn’t pictured in the latest training video so let’s hope there’s something in it. Would expect Dumfries to quickly come in if we receive funds.

Status
Not open for further replies.