New Everton Stadium Discussion

it's also worth noting that, unlike most world heritage sites, the docks were never built to be permanent or unchanging.
They were/are part of a growing changing city. It's completely unrealistic to expect the whole waterfront of a big city to be a museum. And not just a museum but a museum that no one could afford to maintain. If private development sensitive to the history of the area never happened, places like BMD would eventually crumble in to the Mersey.
Seems to me, there could be an opportunity for the city to work with the UN to come up with a new designation that would facilitate a growing city and not stifle it. Maybe a UN Living Heritage site or something.
I'd rather (as a resident of the city) we didn't have to have anything to do with the UN if I'm honest mate.

After London, greatest concentration of listed buildings is Chester followed by some place in Suffolk, followed by Bath.

I'd rather (as a resident of the city) we didn't have to have anything to do with the UN if I'm honest mate.

yep, why anyone in Liverpool should take any notice of this lot is baffling ……

1626881887461.jpeg

Thats fair enough. I haven't lived there since I was a kid. But, to play devils advocate, I can see the tourism marketing benefits of being on something like the world heritage list. It also did act as a handbrake for runaway development. For me, the problem seems to be that it's an all or nothing scenario.
A middle ground seems like a possible solution.
Trust me, I think UNESCO have screwed up here and not just because I'm an Evertonian but I think the city should appeal and a compromise should be reached, something that won't affect BMD and will allow for sensitive development of the docks.
Just an opinion tho.

Thats fair enough. I haven't lived there since I was a kid. But, to play devils advocate, I can see the tourism marketing benefits of being on something like the world heritage list. It also did act as a handbrake for runaway development. For me, the problem seems to be that it's an all or nothing scenario.
A middle ground seems like a possible solution.
Trust me, I think UNESCO have screwed up here and not just because I'm an Evertonian but I think the city should appeal and a compromise should be reached, something that won't affect BMD and will allow for sensitive development of the docks.
Just an opinion tho.
The UN

UN peacekeepers... The United Nations... The army that going into war zones to try and keep the peace.....

I give up.