Confirmed Signing Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the little I’ve seen of him he’s rapid, loves to take a man on and then either crosses to the opposition or blasts ridiculous shots from distance that don’t even threaten the goal. He’s a confident young man too, so all of the above lead me to believe the Park End are gonna hate him by October and I can’t lie dear reader, I’m totally here for it.

Welcome Demarai, blast it at their crying bald bonces.

Last edited:
Because we are getting rid of Bernard and, to a lesser extent, Walcott. We need direct replacements left/right wing as squad players, and importantly we need an injection of pace.

Townsend plays on the right, cutting in. Gray plays on the left.

Well we will need another wide player to start on the right if the plan is to have more traditional wide players.

Because we are getting rid of Bernard and, to a lesser extent, Walcott. We need direct replacements left/right wing as squad players, and importantly we need an injection of pace.

Townsend plays on the right, cutting in. Gray plays on the left.
Townsend isn't even pacy after the injuries and at the age of 30, he can't beat a man anymore.
Bizarre signing.

I saw a picture earlier of our subs bench towards the end of this last season, two keepers, youth players and Iwobi. Players like Gray and Townsend definitely give the squad more strength. Are they going to be starters every game- probably not but if they play well and force themselves into the team will hopefully give other players a kick up the arse to get their game on.

I saw a picture earlier of our subs bench towards the end of this last season, two keepers, youth players and Iwobi. Players like Gray and Townsend definitely give the squad more strength. Are they going to be starters every game- probably not but if they play well and force themselves into the team will hopefully give other players a kick up the arse to get their game on.

I saw it to and im borderline, to be honest id rather give lads like Broadhead a chance, Brantwaite is there to as is Kean. For the life i cant understand the reason why we didn't hang on to the likes of Dowell who will be getting his chance in the PL next season. I wont go down the Lookman rabbit hole. Young Broadhead has done it at every level asked of him.

Somehow we have ended up as Townsend as a viable option, its poor squad management in my view after going through all of the above.

I saw it to and im borderline, to be honest id rather give lads like Broadhead a chance, Brantwaite is there to as is Kean. For the life i cant understand the reason why we didn't hang on to the likes of Dowell who will be getting his chance in the PL next season. I wont go down the Lookman rabbit hole. Young Broadhead has done it at every level asked of him.

Somehow we have ended up as Townsend as a viable option, its poor squad management in my view after going through all of the above.

Would rather players be ready rather than to just 'take a chance' on them to be honest. Dowell was doing nothing with us and the loans he had before didnt exactly set the world alight. Not sure we can keep hold of players indefinitely in case they make it later on in their careers.

Would rather players be ready rather than to just 'take a chance' on them to be honest. Dowell was doing nothing with us and the loans he had before didnt exactly set the world alight. Not sure we can keep hold of players indefinitely in case they make it later on in their careers.

Dont know if id say that on Dowell, he has a very productive loan at Forest. He was also very productive when he came back from injury at the top end of the Championship last year. He had a decent pedigree comparatively with his international honors. At what point to you take a chance, elsewise what the point of recuriting and developing youth.

Both Dowell and Andros Townsend will be PL players next season its going to be interesting to see which is more productive. My general point is we are risk adverse in terms of bringing players through and end up plumping for the Andros Townsend of the world. What are we Building? I think we have managed the squad woefully. When you let loose players like Dowel and Lookman, you have to do it on the basis that you are improving your squad profile and quality. Did we do that by replacing them with Iwobi and Townsend. I dont think we did. Did we improve by getting rid of Kean for Josh King as another example. Something is wrong somewhere mate.

This signing does one thing.

It tells me Gordon and none of the u23 players are considered as being able to fill positions in the first team squad.

Very disheartening.

Gordon's got no real speed though.

He's nippy, but that's not enough for the Prem.

I think he'll be given a shot, but he needs a good loan. We're really, really crap at loans, though.

Maybe he'll be used as a rotation option for a central position.

Townsend is probably the lower risk signing even if we disregard wages.

He has been a Premiership regular for a number of years and I think was involved in around 33 games for Palace last season alone.
We know more or less what he can do and I think will prove to be a better player than the doom merchants on here predict.... but he, by his own admission is coming as a squad player and not a regular starter but having an experienced Premiership player ready to come on the field late in a game is a useful addition and gives us an option we didn't have last season

Status
Not open for further replies.