Usmanov

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people need to think very carefully before they continue to post in this thread about anything other than Usmanov and his financial involvement with Everton regarding the ground or the team.
think we are getting a little paranoid here.

for example naming the player believed to be the one that has been arrested by the police and suspended by the club is not going to be defamatory or libelous.

Obviously going into detail about why he was arrested or a presumption of innocence or guilt is a different matter.

for example naming the player believed to be the one that has been arrested by the police and suspended by the club is not going to be defamatory or libelous.

Obviously going into detail about why he was arrested or a presumption of innocence or guilt is a different matter.
I think it may not be that simple.

If a name is used regarding an issue as serious as this and it is subsequently proven to be totally false then I think a case could be made that a person's good name has been taken and that could lead to defamatory case.
Ultimately we came into the world with only our good name and wi leave the same way.

I don't want to be paranoid but I think people should be careful about what is said.

I think it may not be that simple.

If a name is used regarding an issue as serious as this and it is subsequently proven to be totally false then I think a case could be made that a person's good name has been taken and that could lead to defamatory case.
Ultimately we came into the world with only our good name and wi leave the same way.

I don't want to be paranoid but I think people should be careful about what is said.
A name is not being 'used' - just stated that he was arrested - fact - and the club have suspended him - fact.

If he is subsequently exonerated, none of those facts will have changed.

It could be contempt of court. Until such point that their name is revealed by the court / judge then you shouldn't post their name either.

The Attorney General, Rt Hon Michael Ellis QC MP, said: "Everyone is innocent until proven guilty, and everyone deserves a fair trial.

"A mis-judged tweet or post could have grave repercussions and interfere with a trial. It could mean a trial is delayed or at worst stopped because a fair trial isn’t possible – so I would caution everyone, don’t get in the way of justice being done."

Blues,

Don't.

It's as simple as that.

Our terms of service/rules are very clear.

We take steps to protect the site, and also our members. This includes temporary content suppression, content removal, suspensions and bans.

Thanks

Reminder in light of this evenings reports.

We absolutely can not host any discussion concerning an ongoing investigation. Please help support the site by refraining from making any comment regarding reports of a footballer under police investigation.

Thanks for the cooperation.

Thanks again for everyone's compliance.

A name is not being 'used' - just stated that he was arrested - fact - and the club have suspended him - fact.

If he is subsequently exonerated, none of those facts will have changed.

The problem is it is not a fact that anyone specific has or hasn't been been arrested. I believe the club have confirmed somebody has been suspended. I am not even sure they have acknowledged the media reports. That's it. At this stage everything else is speculation.

The problem is it is not a fact that anyone specific has or hasn't been been arrested. I believe the club have confirmed somebody has been suspended. I am not even sure they have acknowledged the media reports. That's it. At this stage everything else is speculation.
Best not to get into it. I'm sure we'll get to discuss it soon enough.

Im not going to push the point, but surely it would only be a problem if we named the wrong person? Anyway, im not going to be naming anyone, just question how far the 'gagging' can actually go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ger

Status
Not open for further replies.