2020/21 Yerry Mina

Status
Not open for further replies.

I wonder if you speak Spanish? Because what Martinez was saying was not only disrespectful but belittling. When things are translated into other languages words lose value and what Martinez said was more than just saying stuff and he should have gotten a card for it.

I was surprised the ref let it continue and also that Mina didnt stop and ask the ref to do something.

I wonder if you speak Spanish? Because what Martinez was saying was not only disrespectful but belittling. When things are translated into other languages words lose value and what Martinez said was more than just saying stuff and he should have gotten a card for it.

Only tiny bits, so no. But I’ve played plenty of football. Anything except “isms”, homophobia or threats is fair game to me.

Out of interest, what did he say exactly?

Only tiny bits, so no. But I’ve played plenty of football. Anything except “isms”, homophobia or threats is fair game to me.

I have not played football enough so maybe that's why I feel Martinez language was disrespectful.

I can't recall now everything that he said but I do remember he was calling Colombia players huevon or guebon. Which in the latin culture can mean a lazy or stupid person. “A huevon is a person who is so lazy that his testicles drag on the ground. derived from the use of the spanish word huevos (eggs) as a slang word for testicles” So calling someone stupid or lazy seems like a disdainful behavior to me, but I guess everyone has their own way to see things.

I have not played football enough so maybe that's why I feel Martinez language was disrespectful.

I can't recall now everything that he said but I do remember he was calling Colombia players huevon or guebon. Which in the latin culture can mean a lazy or stupid person. “A huevon is a person who is so lazy that his testicles drag on the ground. derived from the use of the spanish word huevos (eggs) as a slang word for testicles” So calling someone stupid or lazy seems like a disdainful behavior to me, but I guess everyone has their own way to see things.

Its called 'ungentlemanly conduct' and is punished by a yellow card.

The referee should have stopped and booked Martinez.

Or he should have had the penalty retaken and booked Martinez.

You dont get Goalkeepers yelling at the penalty taker while theyre running up to kick the ball...

Its called 'ungentlemanly conduct' and is punished by a yellow card.

The referee should have stopped and booked Martinez.

Or he should have had the penalty retaken and booked Martinez.

You dont get Goalkeepers yelling at the penalty taker while theyre running up to kick the ball...
Martinez was interviewed about it a few days after it happened and he still had a big attitude about it and wasn’t at all remorseful. Hopefully Mina gets a chance to score a goal against him and Aston Villa the upcoming season.

This is an interesting claim on a lot of levels.

Is your position that Materazzi should have been sent off, rather than Zidane? Is your position that Chiellini should have been sent off, rather than Suarez?

Full disclosure: I am biased as having come up as a defender who flat out was not good enough to stay on the pitch at higher levels, even after learning the dark arts. Coaches later on tried to compensate by using my speed as an inverted winger and ability to cross to deal with my lack of height that barred me from being a natural CB.

I still wasn't going anywhere, because I can't stretch defenses with a shot from the top corner of the box. Point is, I think like a defender or fullback.

As a natural defender, I tend to think that mind games and cynical fouls are part of the complete defender package. I have a real problem with Ramos crippling Salah, then braining Karius. I also think that Chiellini's horse collar was gold. If you must get a yellow, make it count.

Is there a reason that trash talk should be barred from the game? I tend to take the James Worthy position that trash talk is trash talk unless you can back it up, in which case you're just good.

Status
Not open for further replies.