New Everton Stadium Discussion

Capacity still makes me uncomfortable. They shouldn't have lowered it.

I think that the reduction in seating capacity was entirely the right decision. It will unfortunately only seem that way when rail seating/standing is introduced fully and we can have a larger crowd more towards the 60K people are clamouring for. It will be one of the tightest, most intimate grounds in the country.

I think that the reduction in seating capacity was entirely the right decision. It will unfortunately only seem that way when rail seating/standing is introduced fully and we can have a larger crowd more towards the 60K people are clamouring for. It will be one of the tightest, most intimate grounds in the country.
5K-7K more wouldn't hurt anybody mate

Capacity still makes me uncomfortable. They shouldn't have lowered it.

Why is everyone arsed about us having a massive stadium? Is it just a knob measuring thing? Generally speaking the bigger the crowd, the more the atmosphere suffers, I’d rather us create a hostile environment than be able to cram 10,000 more day trippers in.

You need to order steel a year in advance for something this big
That is partially true due to the design of different buildings. 85% of the stadium will be using std steel sizes and lengths that's how they keep costs down in the design process.

However bespoke buildings can be 18 months from order to supply you are right. No fabrication/production company will stop producing standard size material continuously day after day to make a one off order like this.

Unless you own the place of course.

That is partially true due to the design of different buildings. 85% of the stadium will be using std steel sizes and lengths that's how they keep costs down in the design process.

However bespoke buildings can be 18 months from order to supply you are right. No fabrication/production company will stop producing standard size material continuously day after day to make a one off order like this.

Unless you own the place of course.
There would still be the issue of steel quotas for imported steel though.

From Reuters.

LONDON, June 30 (Reuters) - Britain said on Wednesday it would introduce new regulations to help defend its steel industry after accepting a recommendation from its newly established Trade Remedies Authority to scrap some quotas on imports.

Trade minister Liz Truss said the government only had the option of accepting or rejecting the recommendations in full, which said quotas and tariffs should be retained for 10 categories of steel for three years, and revoked in nine others.

However the minister said the government would now introduce a public notice to launch a temporary extension on a further five of the 19 steel products for one year. "Imports outside the quotas will face a tariff of 25%," she said.

The European Union introduced quotas in 2019 when Britain was still in the bloc to guard against steel shipments normally destined for the United States being redirected to Europe after U.S. President Donald Trump imposed 25% tariffs.

The UK steel industry, which generates about $2 billion in turnover each year, had warned the government not to remove any of the EU's so-called safeguard measures, saying it could spur a flood of imports.

Truss said the extension would give the industry time to appeal the TRA decision, which was made before Brussels said it would extend its system of quotas and tariffs for a further three years.

She added that the UK would also review the Trade Remedies framework, a post-Brexit UK-specific system which is designed to protect sectors against unfair trading practices.

"The Trade Remedies framework was first introduced in 2018 under the previous government," she said. "The current government will review it to ensure it is up-to-date, champions WTO rules and is fit for purpose in the post-COVID world."

Why is everyone arsed about us having a massive stadium? Is it just a knob measuring thing? Generally speaking the bigger the crowd, the more the atmosphere suffers, I’d rather us create a hostile environment than be able to cram 10,000 more day trippers in.

When people aren't arsed they use the 'Richard' measuring contest. I know i'm not professional the club made their decisions. I think 2 simple things.

One, the bigger capacity the more of a likelihood a lot of ticket prices can be kept down. A smaller capacity means if we want any where near matchday income as our rivals (the big six, not Newcastle, Leicester or Aston Villa) then prices will rise sharpish.

Two, 52,888 might be an increase of around 13000 on Goodison but is that really going to be enough? Goodison isn't 39,414 because we only get that many attending. It's a stadium that has fallen behind in a number of ways to other clubs. If we had 55,000 now we'd fill it. Throw in the waterfront location and day trippers I think there's potenitial for more people wanting to attend.

As for the size as Meis said "size envy". Why not? Why do we, on of the big clubs in the league, have to remain cowering to the likes of City and Liverpool even with a new stadium? The club is moving forward in spite of a lack of confidence in themselves and the fan base. The new stadium should be like one of those in the Euro's. It should be big, bold, triple tiers, 60,000 plus. That's what does my head in it's like we've settled for the scaled back version.