Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benitez is a Liverpool man not Liverpool FC man, loves the city and the people. He's been all over the world and could settle anywhere yet he and his family chose Liverpool, If I were an Evertonian I'd be buzzing, he'll get the best from players and have Everton in the Champions league before his job is done!
Is that your welcome to forum post?

Ultimately it’s not Benitez I have the main issue with, it’s more what the appointment signifies.

Upon Ancelotti’s departure the club spoke of a wide reaching extensive process to be undertaken to consider the best way forward.

Moshiri is clearly a very clever and astute business man but his football knowledge seems to be next to nothing, to compound matters he’s either too stupid or too stubborn to learn from his mistakes. Here’s a man yet again phoning into the Jim White on Talksport with his stupid “Hello Jim” patter to justify another decision, which other top level club owners do that? The fact he is making the call shows he’s somewhat aware there are issues he needs talk back against. First thing out of his mouth “I’m the biggest Evertonian”, yeah right mate, superb start to talk down the fans. First justification for the Benitez appointment - he has premier league experience - great, so that initially rules out 95% managers in the world and leaves you fishing from a very small pool on managers that are available. Did Liverpool have this issue when appointing Benitez/Klopp, Chelsea on the first appointment of Mourinho, Arsenal with Wenger, Southampton with Pochettino, Leeds with Bielsa? Understand that some of those managers were at the peak of their powers but come on, PL experience is not a requisite.

Its clear now that Moshiri has chosen the manager once again, he seems more impressed with the man as opposed to the suitability of the appointment. He has these weird fascinations with certain managers and will not rest till he gets them. He seems to get swayed by flavour of the month managers, Koeman initially because of his name, Hollywood! (walsh too as DOF, he wasn’t even a DOF ffs), pursued Silva relentlessly for some unknown reason. Hired Gravy Tits because he was impressed after reading his autobiography, HA! Whilst Ancelotti seemed a great appointment, it seems he had been after him for ages and offered him the world to get him, including a contract to walk away if certain teams come calling. Here we go again with Benitez.

This lack of plan and swinging from one manager style to another has left a very expensive (and high earning) disjointed squad that has no clear style of play or direction. Sets of players have been bought to suit a manager’s play and not with a plan to work together in a certain style.

Brands has been promoted to a role on the board, place on the board for the new stadium, is supposedly in total charge and direction of the football side yet seems to be neutered by Moshiri’s insistence to choose the manager and get involved, the last minute Iwobi purchase rumoured to be on his demand as he wanted a big signing to finish the window off with. Kenwright is still hanging round like a bad smell pushing for Moyes/Martinez whenever he can, just get rid.

The announcement of the stadium build date today is peak Everton, they will have known for ages that they were taking control of the site on the 26th July but they’ve held it back to release after the Benitez announcement, haha pathetic attempt to divert attention away. I appreciate he’s put the money up so he can call the shots, but there seems to be slight underlying contempt for the fans that is attempted to be covered by Denise BB sending out lovely emails about how great the fans are and how they listen.

Now I’ve hammered Moshiri here but he also has massive plus points, his blind insistence works very well with regards to funding, he’s clearly transformed the financial side of the club. The stadium will be fantastic and it seems no corners will be cut, he’s sinking another 100m to get the groundwork rolling, we’d still be at Goodison in its present state for god knows how long without him. Compare that to the out of town shed Kenwright wanted to take us to, the difference is night and day. He just needs to step back and let football people do their job, if he doesn’t trust them than go out get football people he does trust, it’ll be cheaper and more successful in the long run than the current process.

So here we are with Benitez, Moshiri’s choice again, another scattergun approach to a manager who in my opinion is on the way down, has a tendency to play negative football, falls out with owners very easily and the obvious red connection. His previous successes however must not be discounted, he clearly is/has been (delete as necessary!) a very good manager, has great knowledge, seems to really want the job and we likely stay as long as he is wanted. I want Everton to succeed, so that means he needs to be successful and I want him to be. In my opinion the evidence would suggest that he won’t and Everton will be here again in 12 months, yet again paying a manager off and possibly with more players who fit another manager’s style.

Hopefully I’m wrong and all works out, it’s in everyone’s interest for it to. I’ll gladly hold my hands up and say I got it wrong, will be very happy to do so as it will mean the club/team has progressed under his management.

The final point you make re new stadium is an excellent one.
There are many examples of teams that have struggled after moving into a new stadium, Sunderland, Arsenal , Spurs and even Southampton.
Not sure why that is unless they are hamstrung by finances to invest in the team.
City have done well in their new gaff but that's a bad example because their wealth is off the charts and they didn't actually pay for their shiny new stadium.
One thing is for sure a new arena is not a panacea.
The one thing I find interesting about Moshiri and potentially Usmanov is that I think they are treating Everton the same way Mansour treated City. The football team is the jumping off point for wider investment in an area which brings in money past the football team. Mansour has basically redeveloped huge swathes of that area of Manchester and will have made loads of money off it.

Moshiri didn’t buy into the Liver Building just to put one over the RS and to make the birds blue. And they aren’t just building Bramley Moore because it’s nice for Everton. They are investing in a huge development in a city with untapped potential where there are revenue streams outside of the football club that can benefit a number of their businesses.

American sports have some fun rivalries but they don't get close to the same depth of feeling as rivalries in other nations with true sporting clubs. Too corporate, too new, too flimsy.
I think the main difference will be that its rare to have two teams from the same sport in the city and a lot of them that are end up in different divisions anyway.

I would be interested in the whole layout of it though. Like do Giants fans hate Jets fans? Do some support both teams etc? I know college rivalries can be a bit tense.

As the legendary Spanish journalist Guillem Balagué said today:

“In Spain when we say ‘small club’ we mean a club that comes to defend, a club that does not come to win. Mr Benitez knows what a big club Everton is in terms of history. The Everton fans are sensible and will get behind him.”

As the legendary Spanish journalist Guillem Balagué said today:

“In Spain when we say ‘small club’ we mean a club that comes to defend, a club that does not come to win. Mr Benitez knows what a big club Everton is in terms of history. The Everton fans are sensible and will get behind him.”
Its not even about that comment. Dunno why its always brought up.

I just dont think hes the right manager for us at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.