New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted the young up and coming manager like Frank, Potter, Nuno, Lampard or someone from Germany, France etc (that's Brands job to know the global football scene - not mine!).

My concerns with Benitez are whether he still has that competitive hunger after going to China?

Is he now well past his best as a manager and has the game moved on? His performance at Newcastle was extremely mediocre and I'd argue Bruce has improved that side.

Is he a long term option? Our next manager really needed to be along term option who stays for 4 or 5 years. We are a total shambles at the minute and can't retain a manager for more than 18 months.

Can any manager really succeed when they are so universally unpopular? I genuinely don't see how he can be successful in this environment.

These are my main concerns. I think they are valid concerns and shared by a lot of people. It's really not anything to do with the small club stuff, although that maybe indirectly relates to why this environment exists.

That's the only valid criticism of the appointment right there in bold. As in valid in football terms.

And I'd agree, but I'd counter with one thing - for him to take this job, in the face of all this, knowing the local rivalry, knowing what it means... he's either incredibly stupid, incredibly brave or incredibly confident, or a mad mix of all three.

If he takes the job, bombs it and is out in six months, so be it. But to be this angry before he gets the job and a ball is kicked? It's bonkers.

The stuff at the ground was in poor taste and uncalled for, but whoever put the threats up at the man's family home should be ashamed of themselves and knock it off immediately. It's gone too far now, I hope the police catch them.

The loons and head the balls in our fanbase (we do have them) are another reason why the board shouldn't have even looked at Benitez, aside from him but being the best option footballing wise, but for so called Evertonians to threaten him where he lives is beyond the pale.

We are ploughing new depths as a club and fanbase the longer this goes on, it makes me sick to my stomach.

Embarrassed to be an Evertonian, and I've never felt that way in my life.

I haven't a problem with people moaning IF he comes in and does a crap job - sound hound the bloke out.

But to do it BEFORE we have even kicked a football and the season hasnt even started is ludicrous imo.

I called it days ago had we appointed Eddie Howe half of these moaners wouldn't be moaning - not because he's crap but because "he aint a kopite doh" its petty tribalism which is even funnier when the same blokes worship the likes of Baines who is a Red.
I’m not hounding the bloke out , I just don’t want him and my reasons are not purely in terms of him being a RS . Is it a factor ? Of course it is , as much as anything because of the split it’ll cause . However if his history was at United I’d still have an issuer because as I say I think the evidence suggests the day of that era of manager may well have had its day and a job in China hardly indicates someone anxious to prove themselves still.

I’m an Evertonian so if he’s appointed I’ll want him to succeed and I’ll cheer every goal and every point , I’ll be honest it’ll take a bit for me to sing his name but he hope I do because it’ll mean we’re successful. I just just don’t think he will be but I certainly hope I’m wrong .

Honestly I would probably jib it off for a bit.

I am OK with that, I would never say I am a top blue who supports us through thick and thin anyway. Had a season ticket in the past but don't bother any more as I don't love modern football anyway. My support would go as far as turning on a telly these days and going to the odd game or two when it suits me.

I have a preconceived notion of what Everton is in my head and it is not a club managed by one of our rivals legends. I will always want us to do well generally but with him in charge it wont be "my" Everton. I would keep up with results and watch us when it suits me rather than going out of my way to do so.

I hold no ill will to him personally. But to make such a tone deaf appointment I would have to ask myself what is the point. To be honest I probably checked out years ago really. Its a form of entertainment for me these days rather than a way of life and if I don't enjoy it I can stop watching for a bit. Its easy.

An interesting take on it. I've definitely got to a point where I'm losing interest in football and Everton. I used to watch every game without fail and it would dictate my mood for the rest of the weekend, but now if they lose i just think meh.

The main reason is because of the attitudes of players these days and I just can't relate with it. Having grown up watching teams with real desire and passion its an absolute disgrace to me to see players hugging and laughing with opponents after a disappointing loss.

Regarding Rafael, I can see why you would be annoyed with the appointment but for me I do believe he will get more out of his team than Carlo did and I think he will actually start getting the project on track. But thats only if he's allowed to by the fans, which is why I think we all just need to get behind the appointment for the sake of the club.

I’m sure the club have spoken to other people I however refuse to believe that Benitez is the best option available in a world of football managers be that on a divisive versus ability scale or frankly simply in terms of ability , if you do Mate then we disagree .

That’s fair enough I get the reservations about him, mine is I don’t really see how his style of football is going to benefit this current team. I could care less about what he said about the club many years back. Grudges are for insecure saddos.

If he comes here - and he’s a very brave man for doing so - and he gets the backing and is allowed to spend in the summer then we have to give him a chance and see what he can do for us.

Out of the options available, on experience, he’s the better candidate and I can fully see (his kopite ties aside) why the club have took a big interest in him. Every other available candidate is still going to be a gamble.

The stuff at the ground was in poor taste and uncalled for, but whoever put the threats up at the man's family home should be ashamed of themselves and knock it off immediately. It's gone too far now, I hope the police catch them.

The loons and head the balls in our fanbase (we do have them) are another reason why the board shouldn't have even looked at Benitez, aside from him but being the best option footballig wise, but for so called Evertonians to threaten him where he lives is beyond the pale.

We are ploughing new depths as a club and fanbase the longer this goes on, it makes me sick to my stomach.

Embarrassed to be an Evertonian, and I've never felt that way in my life.

Genuine question - were you around pre-90s? We had a dreadful reputation for pockets of racism in the fanbase. I was vastly more embarrassed to hear people abuse Taribo West, Ian Wright and others than read this sign.

It's the weird hyperbole that is fueling the hysteria. It's been worse - much, much worse.

I’m not hounding the bloke out , I just don’t want him and my reasons are not purely in terms of him being a RS . Is it a factor ? Of course it is , as much as anything because of the split it’ll cause . However if his history was at United I’d still have an issuer because as I say I think the evidence suggests the day of that era of manager may well have had its day and a job in China hardly indicates someone anxious to prove themselves still.

I’m an Evertonian so if he’s appointed I’ll want him to succeed and I’ll cheer every goal and every point , I’ll be honest it’ll take a bit for me to sing his name but he hope I do because it’ll mean we’re successful. I just just don’t think he will be but I certainly hope I’m wrong .

Thats fair enough mate - he could come in and do a good job for all we know look at Moyes at West Ham last season.

We've got to give him a chance or we may as well get relegated under boyhood Blue Howe if thats all people care about.

I might be missing something, hence it was actually a genuine question, but when you say a "long history of disrespect to this club"... can you please elaborate?

Because as far as I know, he gave one interview post-game in 2007, when frustrated, where he correctly called us a small club in terms of mentality after we camped everyone behind the ball for 90 minutes to get a 0-0 draw?

"I'm really disappointed. One team wanted to win and one didn't want to lose but we tried to keep going forward and creating chances.

"When you play against eight players behind the ball, narrow and deep, you cannot create many clear chances.

"You just keep trying. You cannot say anything about this."

Is he wrong?

So apart from that, genuine question, what on earth has he done?

As for having a go at the board, if he does and it's valid, good! Better than a passive no-mark manager just happily picking up his pay. If his football is turgid, he'll be gone inside 6 months, so combined with the vitriol and the fact he's criticised us for being defensive in the past he has every incentive to play good winning football here if he possibly can.

I just don't get it, really don't.
As I said mate, I really can't be arsed,but, do some research, a starting point for you will be his lack of a attendance at the annual dinners where the coaching staff of the 2 clubs always met.
No point in asking me any.more about this, because, as I said, I can't be arsed with it. If you can't see what is so wrong with this appointment, then it is not for me to try to change your mind.

Hope this helps.

Thats fair enough mate - he could come in and do a good job for all we know look at Moyes at West Ham last season.

We've got to give him a chance or we may as well get relegated under boyhood Blue Howe if thats all people care about.

eddie Howe certainly wouldn’t be my choice that’s for sure , I just don’t see it as Benitez or Howe is all .

Status
Not open for further replies.